Up the Sandbox - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up the Sandbox Reviews

March 22, 2008
Has anyone seen this movie?

Does anyone who has seen this film get it?

I didn't think so.

However, there are going to be people ( like me ) who are (either a little or a lot) on the artistic or inellectual side who will watch it, be fascinated by it, maybe find some social or artistic merit in it and praise it ... but never watch it again.

I think Streisand's fans and the public are more comfortable when she is being humourous or musical, rather than political or profound.
½ January 2, 2008
My least faveorite Streisand film, and for good reason. "Up the Sandbox" is all over the place, which I guess was the point of the film. It didn't feel right or comfortable, and audiences felt the same way - the movie tanked and is one of Streisand's least successful movies. Still, it can be somewhat enjoyable to watch Barbra frolick around New York ... unless you love Barbra, you will most likely hate this one.
½ October 19, 2007
If you didn't get it, you must have been born in the 80's. If you kind of got it, but didn't like it - you missed the point.
½ August 20, 2007
I have to give at least 2.5 points because barbra is in it but to be honest i didn't have a clue what was going on in the 'dream' sequences!!
July 7, 2007
Duno wat this wud be like
July 2, 2007
This movie is not very well known but I thought it was interesting and thoughtful and Barbra is great in it.
June 9, 2007
Okay I utterly and truly love you Barbra but this film borders on the ridiculous, I couldnt stay awake throughout the entire film!
June 5, 2007
This is an utterly ridiculous, fantastical 70's second-wave feminist romp, in which Babs plays a bored housewife who, among other things, fantasizes herself the lover to a Lesbian Castro and joins a group of Black nationalists to bomb the Statue of Liberty.

Aspects of this are highly problematic -- particularly a primitivist excursion into tribal Africa -- but it's a fascinating document of a particular cultural moment and ridiculously entertaining.
½ May 28, 2007
Really tries to capture the sense of frustration women felt at the time, and succeeds with some of them... still worth a watch!
½ December 31, 2006
Intriguing subject and Streisand's first to tackle many social and political issues.
October 29, 2006
Not one of Streisand's best but still a good film.
August 6, 2006
6.5/10. Interesting but little known Barbra Streisand film. She gives a very fine performance. The film is an uneasy mix of fantasy, drama and comedy, but overall it works. It must have been unusual in 1972, ahead of it's time.
June 27, 2006
Sorry Babs, honey, this isn't one of your best. Some scenes were good, but I felt overall that it was just plain kookey