$upercapitalist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

$upercapitalist Reviews

March 11, 2013
I first watched the film because my friend invited me to watch it. I thought it would just be a typical finance melodrama. However, this movie is very fresh! In a typical financial story, the protagonist starts innocent, but quickly gets involved in some dirty dealings. He can't pull himself away until a sudden call from conscious or an unexpected downfall. Instead, in "Supercapitalist", the protagonist is good from the very start and grows throughout the movie. The twist lies in the dramatic irony; Conner thinks he is doing good when he is actually doing bad. He is helping a company, only to know that he has been demolishing it. Moreover, the movie takes place in a very interesting place, Hong Kong. It's good to see an English-language Chinese film where characters don't just kick each other and want to rip each other's face off (like those Kungfu movies)!! China is rising in its economic power. That we can see. But what's behind those manufacturing and GDP growth numbers? There are blood and tears! There are stories! I feel it is through individuals' stories portrayed in the movie that we get to see the real meaning behind China's economic development. International communication advances do not lie in the handshakes between two political leaders; it lies in small thing like this movie "Supercapitalist". Just like some decades ago, US and China bonded on the Ping Pong table!
February 25, 2013
Great independent film..great story,,, i didnt like the little boy and the word "bro" used so many times....

Also, I challenge the "critics" to put a solid film together with 600,000 US Dollars, produce, hire actors, market, edit, distribute and work against all odds vs. other big production /marketing / distribution budgets 10x-1000x this size..... Chances are, those "critics" would not be able to pull it off... But I'm inspired by the story behind Supercapitalist... It's "David" fighting "Goliath"..no I mean multiple "Goliaths"... Support filmakers no overpaid actors!
½ January 26, 2013
Good grief. This movie was Super HORRIBLE. I cannot believe I wasted time watching this. Avoid, avoid, avoid!!
½ January 26, 2013
It's only a matter of time before we see a truly great film about the riveting world of international high finance. Too bad the makers behind Supercapitalist screwed this one up. Too many flaws make this botched financial thriller unwatchable. The lead barely comes across as a professional actor. The supporting cast is talented but their talents are wasted on this film. Supercapitalist is a clumsy effort that turns out bad even by low budget indie standards.
January 26, 2013
Such a good movie. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!
½ January 26, 2013
I love conspiracy movies and really loved the fact that this was a universal human story set in Asia. Definitely could have cut some scenes, but overall really enjoyed it!
½ December 27, 2012
$upercapitalist is contemporary with a new style and rhythm. The story telling is very clear. For having such an intricate financial plot, I didn't get lost.
December 27, 2012
I live in Hong Kong now after moving from the States for 17 years now. I can't believe how accurate this film is. Great job and fun to watch.
December 11, 2012
Bought this in Hong Kong, before I left for Beijing. Brilliant! I loved it!
December 10, 2012
First time I watched it, I liked it. Second time, Loved it! There's a lot of layers to this movie.
December 4, 2012
After reading about this in the Business times, I decided to watch. I liked the financial plot...don't want to spoil it. You generally know what's going to happen because it's a movie, but the "how" had me guessing the whole time.
November 25, 2012
Inspired by these indie filmmakers!
November 25, 2012
Witty, smart, and well done.
November 22, 2012
I really loved this movie. The writing is superb. It's got a bit of sarcasm and irony to it which really pokes fun at the finance industry yet honors it at the same time.
November 22, 2012
Impressive Indie Filmmaking! A must see if you are an indie filmmaker. Great story and production value for the budget. I'll be following their careers!
November 21, 2012
I want to visit Hong Kong after watching this movie. :)
½ November 21, 2012
A friend of mine from Hong Kong emailed me and recommended I watch the film. I was a bit skeptical but pleasantly surprised. Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
½ November 20, 2012
SuperCRAPitalist. This is an awful movie. Poorly written and poorly acted.
½ November 17, 2012
Read about this film in the New York Times Dealbook review by William Alden. I liked it and the film does "wink" at other financial films! It's more of a human story with a financial plot.
November 17, 2012
Found out about this movie after reading about it in the New York Times article by Chrystia Freeland. Really strikes a chord on Capitalism and identity.