Upside Down - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upside Down Reviews

½ November 13, 2015
Upside down has a really original athmosphere that defy us to ignore things that we know that are impossible in our world, but it fails to have a refreshing story that, in this case, is full of boredom and doens't develop
November 11, 2015
Stunning visuals, brilliant idea
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
Upside Down is, more-or-less, a teenage magical romance-adventure. Many of the negative reviews are correct but downrate the film too harshly. The premise and world are interesting and visually the film is pretty decent. I can imagine myself being impressed in my middle school/high school years. Upside Down I rate a cut below a film like Tron Legacy (similar genre/audience but done better) but not worse than your average Hollywood movie.
½ September 21, 2015
An interesting idea, with some impressive visuals, but the story struggles to hold together and the visuals leave you confused at times as you try to figure out where you are and what is happening. Timothy Spall gives a good performance, but Jim Sturgess feels a little miscast (especially when doing voice over narration) and Kirsten Dunst coasts through without giving it much effort.
A opportunity for stylish discussion on capitalism and social class, is missed out on.
September 7, 2015
A tepid retooling of Romeo and Juliet sadly leadens this visually extraordinary Euro production. Amazing effects that rival even Hollywood efforts and a rather unique concept with some interesting science behind it are to be admired, but are still weakened by a childish screenplay nonetheless.
September 1, 2015
what if love was stronger than gravity?
½ August 24, 2015
Very pretty, but sorely lacking in substance and logic.
August 18, 2015
great visual... but only great visuals is not enough
½ August 12, 2015
A sweet, enjoyable, but flawed, romantic fable. Breaks in its internal logic and leaps in the narrative bring it down a bit from what it could have been, though.
August 1, 2015
The movie is astoundingly gorgeous, and the plot is very intriguing at first. Sadly by the third act, I don't care as much about the characters anymore, and the ending is one of the laziest I've ever seen. It's worth a rental, but not much more
July 21, 2015
Visual Stunning, Story wise is good to enough to keep the viewer interested, overall solid good film.
July 3, 2015
Such a beautiful story. love is stronger than gravity.
½ May 28, 2015
interesting concept

warning - may cause dizziness
May 17, 2015
61%
Saw this on 17/5/15
Upside Down has an original and extremely interesting premise which although is not scientifically practical, is compensated by it's extremely beautiful VFX. It is good for it's first one hour, but towards the end, it rushes off without giving much considerations to it's story. The worst pain is that the makers try to overshadow the incredible sci-fi premise with a mundane love story and in the end it fails because it lacks ambition, much like the similar film In Time. The acting is good and so are the special effects. The ending is bad and the audience would most likely feel deceived.
May 2, 2015
the idea is unique and new i like the whole story except the ending, they rush it and came out weak but i slaute the execution and the special effects
April 23, 2015
insanely romantic even some details dose not make sense and some mistakes.. but i like the concept of the story... i enjoyed it
½ April 20, 2015
I really tried and wanted to like this movie, but it just fell short. I had a hard time trying to stay interested and it just got really boring real fast.
April 18, 2015
It was an interesting concept but unfortunately it was wasted on poor script and directing
½ April 10, 2015
Looks good, but makes my head hurt trying to watch this and figure out what is what.
½ April 9, 2015
Original, creative concept brought to life in visually stunning fashion. Wispy soundtrack and interesting visual direction takes the viewer to a nostalgic place where anything is possible, even a romance which defies physics. Thanks for proving that great movies are still possible!