Upside Down - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upside Down Reviews

August 18, 2015
great visual... but only great visuals is not enough
½ August 12, 2015
A sweet, enjoyable, but flawed, romantic fable. Breaks in its internal logic and leaps in the narrative bring it down a bit from what it could have been, though.
August 1, 2015
The movie is astoundingly gorgeous, and the plot is very intriguing at first. Sadly by the third act, I don't care as much about the characters anymore, and the ending is one of the laziest I've ever seen. It's worth a rental, but not much more
July 21, 2015
Visual Stunning, Story wise is good to enough to keep the viewer interested, overall solid good film.
July 3, 2015
Such a beautiful story. love is stronger than gravity.
½ May 28, 2015
interesting concept

warning - may cause dizziness
May 17, 2015
61%
Saw this on 17/5/15
Upside Down has an original and extremely interesting premise which although is not scientifically practical, is compensated by it's extremely beautiful VFX. It is good for it's first one hour, but towards the end, it rushes off without giving much considerations to it's story. The worst pain is that the makers try to overshadow the incredible sci-fi premise with a mundane love story and in the end it fails because it lacks ambition, much like the similar film In Time. The acting is good and so are the special effects. The ending is bad and the audience would most likely feel deceived.
May 2, 2015
the idea is unique and new i like the whole story except the ending, they rush it and came out weak but i slaute the execution and the special effects
April 23, 2015
insanely romantic even some details dose not make sense and some mistakes.. but i like the concept of the story... i enjoyed it
½ April 20, 2015
I really tried and wanted to like this movie, but it just fell short. I had a hard time trying to stay interested and it just got really boring real fast.
April 18, 2015
It was an interesting concept but unfortunately it was wasted on poor script and directing
½ April 10, 2015
Looks good, but makes my head hurt trying to watch this and figure out what is what.
½ April 9, 2015
Original, creative concept brought to life in visually stunning fashion. Wispy soundtrack and interesting visual direction takes the viewer to a nostalgic place where anything is possible, even a romance which defies physics. Thanks for proving that great movies are still possible!
March 19, 2015
Upside Down is a pleasant surprise boasting a fantastic cast, a great story, and some of the most visually stunning effects I've seen in a long time. Besides some slow moments, I deeply enjoyed this romantic and beautiful film.
March 18, 2015
It's not perfect but the movie captivated me so much that I was invested from the very beginning to the end
½ March 9, 2015
There's an even better movie within Upside Down, but the one that Writer/Director Juan Solanas has fashioned isn't bad at all. It overcomes a rather trite love story thanks to not only its incredible visuals and novel idea but also a pair of energetic, sincere performances from Kirsten Dunst and Jim Sturgess. The picture is a little overly dramatic and self-important at its bookends, and even if the story proves rather ordinary in an extraordinary world, Upside Down still makes for a success considering both its high novelty and heartfelt sincerity.
½ March 5, 2015
I loved it--the fantastic premise, the personable hero and heroine, the incredible visuals, the sweet love story--this film had it all. I suspect that someday, it will be more highly regarded than it is today. I felt the same way about both the original Highlander movie and GATTACA, both of which were denigrated when they came out, but which were later properly appreciated, as I think this picture will be.
½ February 25, 2015
Upside Down was a visual masterpiece. With a plot hinting to the problems we have in our own political and social system, between upper and lower class. Showing how the ruling elite have a sense of entitlement which creates a line between the haves and have nots. I can't help but see the metaphoric resemblance within the United States. We have an economic dependence that was designed to keep the poor in their class. The rich take their oil, often by force, jack up the price, and sell it to the everyday citizen in the US at an insane markup. Which keeps the everyday citizen from ever rising from the class they reside. It's a tale of the rich versus poor, the elite versus the dominated poor. It's a story that has been told since the beginning of time. And Upside Down tells it against a visually stunning landscape.
February 20, 2015
Striking visual effects and very intriguing plot, yet the movie fails in telling the story in a compelling way. The movie becomes quite dull throughout and by the end seems to become completely uninteresting.
February 18, 2015
With its stunning visuals and intriguing plot, Upside Down is quite enjoyable. Yet still it feels like a dystopian love story that is both bland and clichà (C).