Upside Down - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upside Down Reviews

April 18, 2015
It was an interesting concept but unfortunately it was wasted on poor script and directing
½ April 10, 2015
Looks good, but makes my head hurt trying to watch this and figure out what is what.
½ April 9, 2015
Original, creative concept brought to life in visually stunning fashion. Wispy soundtrack and interesting visual direction takes the viewer to a nostalgic place where anything is possible, even a romance which defies physics. Thanks for proving that great movies are still possible!
March 19, 2015
Upside Down is a pleasant surprise boasting a fantastic cast, a great story, and some of the most visually stunning effects I've seen in a long time. Besides some slow moments, I deeply enjoyed this romantic and beautiful film.
March 18, 2015
It's not perfect but the movie captivated me so much that I was invested from the very beginning to the end
½ March 9, 2015
There's an even better movie within Upside Down, but the one that Writer/Director Juan Solanas has fashioned isn't bad at all. It overcomes a rather trite love story thanks to not only its incredible visuals and novel idea but also a pair of energetic, sincere performances from Kirsten Dunst and Jim Sturgess. The picture is a little overly dramatic and self-important at its bookends, and even if the story proves rather ordinary in an extraordinary world, Upside Down still makes for a success considering both its high novelty and heartfelt sincerity.
½ March 5, 2015
I loved it--the fantastic premise, the personable hero and heroine, the incredible visuals, the sweet love story--this film had it all. I suspect that someday, it will be more highly regarded than it is today. I felt the same way about both the original Highlander movie and GATTACA, both of which were denigrated when they came out, but which were later properly appreciated, as I think this picture will be.
½ February 25, 2015
Upside Down was a visual masterpiece. With a plot hinting to the problems we have in our own political and social system, between upper and lower class. Showing how the ruling elite have a sense of entitlement which creates a line between the haves and have nots. I can't help but see the metaphoric resemblance within the United States. We have an economic dependence that was designed to keep the poor in their class. The rich take their oil, often by force, jack up the price, and sell it to the everyday citizen in the US at an insane markup. Which keeps the everyday citizen from ever rising from the class they reside. It's a tale of the rich versus poor, the elite versus the dominated poor. It's a story that has been told since the beginning of time. And Upside Down tells it against a visually stunning landscape.
February 20, 2015
Striking visual effects and very intriguing plot, yet the movie fails in telling the story in a compelling way. The movie becomes quite dull throughout and by the end seems to become completely uninteresting.
February 18, 2015
With its stunning visuals and intriguing plot, Upside Down is quite enjoyable. Yet still it feels like a dystopian love story that is both bland and clichà (C).
February 17, 2015
This Romeo & Juliet story has an interesting idea behind it... but Shakespeare it is not.
Upside Down tells a pretty straight forward love story a la classic Shakespearian tale with a scifi gimmic of two planets so close to each other they almost touch, acting as the setting. With this in mind, you have to allow for fantastical elements. You are ok with complete disregard for the laws of physics and the bizarre socio political aspects of these two worlds despite neither aspect of the film making actual sense.
BUT... a film must obide by it's own rules. If you introduce rules to the story they must be maintained throughout the film and not simply when it's most convenient.
This film is so full of plot holes and continuity errors that it really makes it hard to follow along.
And on that note, let me say that watching a film where half the movie is upside down can be hard to watch. I can honestly say that the film left me with a little bit of a headache from all the disorientating visuals.
That being said, the visuals were decently pretty if not the most realistic at times so the film does have that going for it.
Upside Down had potential to be a great version of Romeo & Juliet for a new age but the story fails on so many levels that it is more a mockery of a classic tale rather than a homage.
February 14, 2015
cool concept, stupid story
½ February 8, 2015
Not an amazing story. And there are times when the physics don't quite work out (a few times he speaks on a phone he would never be able to reach) but it is an excellent one time watch for the creativity the story brings.
February 6, 2015
I can relate to this.
January 23, 2015
A beautiful movie, a sci-fi fairytale, in one of the most unusual settings you can imagine. The laws of physics are a bit bent, but the story makes up for it.
January 23, 2015
Good sci fi, interesting world, bad narrator, and confusing romance. Last but not least very uninteresting story
½ January 16, 2015
In spite of its usually talented cast and rare story, it fails to offer much in the way of compelling drama and story plot compared to its brilliant visuals.
½ January 14, 2015
Just saw this movie and I found it surprisingly good especially since I'd never heard about it before. It's an interesting plot with new ideas. I'll give it five stars especially as the current rating does not reflect the true score. I guess it's a four.
½ January 13, 2015
A really dumb central concept with some poor lines bury Upside Down's decent acting and cool visuals.
January 8, 2015
Besides some good visuals there is no reason to watch this. One of the most ridiculously Hollywood endings ever was just another slap in the face to finish it off...pathetic story telling.