Upside Down: The Creation Records Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upside Down: The Creation Records Story Reviews

November 25, 2015
Its on netflix! Most of my favorite groups are on this label.
July 11, 2015
Really good rockumentary. Spending the rest of the weekend with Primal Scream, The Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine and Oasis. And exploring some new 25 year old finds.
½ June 2, 2015
Interesting look at a very important label. They speak English but watch it with subtitles ... trust me.
February 23, 2014
Really great documentary for serious music lovers and those that, in particular, enjoyed the pinkish, alternative scene from England during the 80's and early 90's.
September 5, 2012
Some great memories of 90s indie music. Those were the days...
½ August 12, 2012
Could have done without all of McGee's hot air stinking up the place and a bit more of the music.
December 9, 2011
Without doubt, this is core constituency stuff for me - I followed the fortunes of Creation blow by blow throughout the Eighties with the relatively obscure likes of The Loft, The Jasmine Minks and Slowdive as much part of my formative musical education as My Bloody Valentine, The House of Love and The Jesus and Mary Chain. I once headed up to Kentish Town from Berkshire to see Creation's celebratory 'Doing It for the Kids' concert only to be astonished that there were people who liked the same music as me - the event being oversubscribed.

But even I would admit that the story gets more interesting after the Valentines spent all that money on Loveless and a couple of yobbos from Burnage came on board. At the time, I saw the ginger ninja Alan McGee as a slightly gauche figure amid all the trendies but he was as badly behaved as the best of them - coordinating weekend long drug benders from the firm's dingy Hackney offices.

There are some great interviews and good footage of the early days plus lots of Alan McGee looking ludicrous in a pork pie hat.
½ November 7, 2011
was alright, just got bored of how much of dick alan mcgee was... if your a band type and into 90's britpop you'll love it.
September 10, 2011
Although you truly can't understand half of what McGee is saying you'll enjoy it if you knew the bands and have heard the records.
½ July 18, 2011
Great story but the documentary is lit like shit and the sound is all over the shop.
July 16, 2011
needs more Ride & Super Furries, heh heh!
½ June 28, 2011
The Alan McGee story. Fascinating look at the crash of Creation and the rise of some classic bands.
June 17, 2011
Inspiring, funny and deluded!!!!!! An insight into the world of British rock / pop of the 80's and 90's. If you love music from that period it's a must!!!!!! If you are from the X factor generation you won't understand!
½ June 16, 2011
Fet doku om fett plateselskap. Fikk laget mye bra de folka her, men så hadde de jaggu mye bra dop oxo!!!
June 8, 2011
Great documentary for those reliving the late 80s early 90s UK indie scene some of which will bypass our American cousins. I'm off to find some old vinyl to listen too
June 4, 2011
Though it surfs a mounting wave of nostalgia for the Britpop era (yes, we get the clip of John Humphrys on the "Six O'Clock News" announcing the outbreak of hostilities between Oasis and Blur), O'Connor's film takes care to shine a spotlight on several lesser-known, still underrated bands who found themselves on the Creation roster (House of Love, Ride, Sugar, Super Furry Animals). Yet, increasingly, the pace comes to seem like a liability: it reflects a managerial style that always was on-the-fly, driven by gut instinct and class-A narcotics, but also leads one to believe that the legacy - like that of the New Labour PM McGee and his cronies so enthusiastically backed - doesn't stand up to prolonged scrutiny... O'Connor's history has the egos - Noel Gallagher speaks with misplaced pride about "killing" the indie scene, which should come as news to Franz Ferdinand, the Arctic Monkeys, and the myriad Oasis imitators who followed in their wake - but it's a lesser tale: no matter how the film tries to trump it up, the struggles of the Valentines to record "Loveless" are as nothing compared to the misadventures of the Happy Mondays in the Caribbean. "A one-man Charge of the Light Brigade," is one Creation employee's assessment of his boss, and this zippy, entertaining film, while true to the McGee personality, turns out somewhat like a well-packed corporate video. In the end, Factory was the true oppositional force, while Creation, whatever the achievements of individual acts, provided the Union Jack-flying, lighters-in-the-air, Oasis-at-Knebworth soundtrack to the Tony Blair years.
½ June 1, 2011
Great revisiting these bands and getting the inside stories. But god damn it, I could only understand approx one in every 3 words. And I was wearing headphones. And they could have slowed the fucking thing down a little, it's paced like a 100 yard dash.
May 27, 2011
Good old documentary on one of the best and most interesting periods of British music. Great interviews with Bobby Gillespie, Alan McGee , Kevin Shields and plenty yo good music. One thing though couldn't they interview Liam instead of Noel Gallagher, never has man been so full of his self importance. You made two decent records and a couple of decent singles you're not Picasso.
May 24, 2011
If like me you knew Creation records for Priaml Scream and Oasis this documentary shows how much more thei was to this label.

Alan McGees label gave us some of the most amazing music of the last 20 years and McGee himself became the cebtre of a music revolution.
Thats not to say he wasnt an angel ,he became an arrogant Malcom McClaren wannabe who enjoyed taking drugsand risks before he burnt out during the height of Oasis mania.

What the film puts across is just how on the foot decisions were made ,for example letting My Bloody Valentine almost bankrupt the label with the mastepiece that was Loveless.
And hows drugs and in fighting destroyed the Brilliant band house of Love.
Of Course Oasis were the labels biggest act and of course Noel Gallagher is his usual funny self.
But the label also gave us Ride,The Boo Radleys and my personal faves The Super Furry Animals ,whos music still pushes bondaries today.
A film which delivers in both sound and vision and made me want to dig out my copy of the Furrie second Album Radiator