Upstream Color - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upstream Color Reviews

June 29, 2017
Awful. Visually stunning, which is the only reason it is not one star. Completely incoherent.
½ June 26, 2017
I loved his work of Primer 9 years ago, but this film confused me for the first 40 minutes and was too abstract and too messy for me to continue to watch. I don't know why the critic reviews are so high unless you're doped up with opium.

Was this film his last 9 years of work?
May 22, 2017
Beauty and mystery locked into grief. This movie is unforgettable.
May 12, 2017
A beautiful, unconventional love story that covers ideas of free will and loss of identity and overcoming troubles in our lives. Amy Seimetz is a revelation, really serving as the heart of this multi-layered story. Shane Carruth continues to be one of the most creative voices in independent cinema, this time switching out the cold and calculated atmosphere of Primer (which was done purposefully so, of course) for one that's a bit more warm and optimistic, and to great effect. Films as truly wonderful as this are a rarity.
March 11, 2017
Art house/sci-fi. Pretentious and difficult. But often mesmerizing.
½ January 21, 2017
Hypnotic, artistic, experimental. Cinema at its finest.
January 17, 2017
"It is about two people whose lives and behaviours are affected by a complex parasite-without knowing it-that has a three-stage life cycle in which it passes from humans to pigs to orchids. A man and woman are drawn together, entangled in the life cycle of an ageless organism. Identity becomes an illusion as they struggle to assemble the loose fragments of wrecked lives."
½ December 11, 2016
Some interesting ideas and well-composed but not a great reflection on a movie like this when you read the "interpretation" websites and think, "wait..... that's it?"
November 15, 2016
I very much like the story and the interconnected pigs and people, but the storytelling style/cinematography, while skilled, is not my taste.
October 24, 2016
Terrence Malick with a sci-fi twist.
October 13, 2016
Horrible film. Save your time and skip this movie.
October 13, 2016
21%
Saw this on 13/10/16
Critics and Shane Carruth can shove this fucking shit up their asses. Upstream Color is senseless and extremely boring. The film's plot is non-sensical and one must read the Wikipedia plot summary to get a fucking idea of what's going on. The intentions of the pathogen breeders are poorly etched in this crap of a film. The cinematography is good, but that alone cannot account for a stupid film.
September 30, 2016
Beautiful, moving, brilliant.
½ September 22, 2016
Very interesting. Also weird, and hard to follow. So watch it twice. I enjoyed it.
September 13, 2016
haunting, beautiful, and complex
August 21, 2016
Exposes accepts and embraces the inscrutability of our existence - while not losing the ability to be amazed and in awe of it.
August 21, 2016
I love art and art loves me. This IS ART!
½ August 14, 2016
Too many abstract ideas create a confusing story that is difficult to follow.
August 3, 2016
Officially the weirdest movie i have ever seen. Don't go in thinking you will "get it" on your first viewing, because you won't. Beautiful cinematography and top notch editing make this art house film one to remember, and possibly understand, on further viewings.
½ June 15, 2016
Pointless ... I'll never get that 90 minutes back, and my ears are numb from the score...