Upstream Color - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upstream Color Reviews

April 17, 2018
Shane Carruth is genetically interlinked to Neil Breen via a pig's orchid maggot-infested brain parasite fantasy projection. I never anticipated writing anything about this movie, so I will try to keep this short. Mr. Carruth has demonstrated in both this and his previous effort Primer that he is sorely lacking in acting chops regardless of his eye behind the camera, and while Upstream Color upstages its predecessor in both color and composition, not even Emmanuel Lubezki could have poetically swooped in and made this an enjoyable experience. Upstream Color has finally shown me what the hell people mean when they say an "art" film is pretentious. Not even Terrence Malick has tried to pull such a f"art"-fest of disjointed, aimlessly pseudo-intellectual sequences out of his ass.

As the movie stands, it is a counterpoint to Philip K. Dick's "A Scanner Darkly". It posits that there is a hopeful world beyond psychological discombobulation regardless of blue flower chemicals screwing up your perception. The fact that the drugs seem to be mental performance enhancers that lead you to meet the love of your life while leaving you completely susceptible to suggestion could either be interpreted as a plus or a minus, but judging by the performances herein, the overwhelming consensus would be that loving someone is akin to doping up and losing your mind so you can squander whatever is left of your life with a person who mumbles over your stammering banter while you wallow fetal-positioned in the squalor of each other's broken failures. Damn, that's a pretty accurate take on love now that I think about it.

On the other hand, loving someone might seem like divine providence or even destiny in this upside-down world where you share a brain maggot with pigs. Oh dear God make this providence stop! Not even Godard in all of his drugged out misogynist fantasies could have contrived a more materialistic and pessimistic interpretation of the mechanism of love. But it's pretty because she hugged the cute little pig at the end. Everyone is unfulfilled in the film. Everyone who watches the film is unfulfilled. Art imitates life. Life imitates art. Here: soft focus on the browned chunks of strawberry pop-tart that I vomited onto the rim of my backed up toilet.........It's my latest composition..........I call it "upstream color".
March 23, 2018
My favorite film of all time, bar none. I honestly wish I had more to say about it. It's an absolutely riveting film that defies synopsis. Go watch! Go, go!
March 8, 2018
Shane Carruth shows his genius in this masterpiece. He directs it, produces it, writes music for it and acts in it. And does is awesomely.
February 25, 2018
it is better than anything you have ever tasted..

Upstream Color

Even though the concept or the attempt is admirable and plausible, the far fetched idea is so upscale and yet predicable that the rest of the suffering becomes redundant and results into the same repetitive slog. Upstream Color is not easy to write let along project it on screen but that certainly does not imply that its a good ride to have. Shane Carruth; the writer-director is barely focusing on the screenplay which leads to an exhausting experience for the viewers. Amy Seimetz and Shane Carruth definitely works hard but fails to impress anyone and lacks a good supporting cast too. Upstream Color has a great thought provoking concept but fails to execute it on screen due to lack of a gripping screenplay and better performances.
February 15, 2018
Ethereal. Profound. A must see.
December 9, 2017
Is the film about a creator who has come to vist his creation to see just what he has created? Is it about the creatures he has created, and their rejection of him as they loose their faith in him?
September 30, 2017
I am an artist and so is my husband. After this film, wecame home and painted for two days... a brilliant, very inspiring film!
August 31, 2017
I got to the end of this film without a clue as to what actually just happened. The films beautifully shot and the acting superb, but I really didn't care about the characters.
August 25, 2017
Once in a while, we may want to watch a movie without understanding what it is about. This is that movie. Its complexity makes the experience feel like traveling through a foreign territory, sitting by a window on a slow train. Though we may not understand it in its entirety, but that doesnt make it any less real.
June 29, 2017
Awful. Visually stunning, which is the only reason it is not one star. Completely incoherent.
½ June 26, 2017
I loved his work of Primer 9 years ago, but this film confused me for the first 40 minutes and was too abstract and too messy for me to continue to watch. I don't know why the critic reviews are so high unless you're doped up with opium.

Was this film his last 9 years of work?
May 22, 2017
Beauty and mystery locked into grief. This movie is unforgettable.
May 12, 2017
A beautiful, unconventional love story that covers ideas of free will and loss of identity and overcoming troubles in our lives. Amy Seimetz is a revelation, really serving as the heart of this multi-layered story. Shane Carruth continues to be one of the most creative voices in independent cinema, this time switching out the cold and calculated atmosphere of Primer (which was done purposefully so, of course) for one that's a bit more warm and optimistic, and to great effect. Films as truly wonderful as this are a rarity.
March 11, 2017
Art house/sci-fi. Pretentious and difficult. But often mesmerizing.
½ January 21, 2017
Hypnotic, artistic, experimental. Cinema at its finest.
January 17, 2017
"It is about two people whose lives and behaviours are affected by a complex parasite-without knowing it-that has a three-stage life cycle in which it passes from humans to pigs to orchids. A man and woman are drawn together, entangled in the life cycle of an ageless organism. Identity becomes an illusion as they struggle to assemble the loose fragments of wrecked lives."
½ December 11, 2016
Some interesting ideas and well-composed but not a great reflection on a movie like this when you read the "interpretation" websites and think, "wait..... that's it?"
November 15, 2016
I very much like the story and the interconnected pigs and people, but the storytelling style/cinematography, while skilled, is not my taste.
October 24, 2016
Terrence Malick with a sci-fi twist.