Upstream Color - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upstream Color Reviews

March 11, 2017
Art house/sci-fi. Pretentious and difficult. But often mesmerizing.
½ January 21, 2017
Hypnotic, artistic, experimental. Cinema at its finest.
January 17, 2017
"It is about two people whose lives and behaviours are affected by a complex parasite-without knowing it-that has a three-stage life cycle in which it passes from humans to pigs to orchids. A man and woman are drawn together, entangled in the life cycle of an ageless organism. Identity becomes an illusion as they struggle to assemble the loose fragments of wrecked lives."
½ December 11, 2016
Some interesting ideas and well-composed but not a great reflection on a movie like this when you read the "interpretation" websites and think, "wait..... that's it?"
November 15, 2016
I very much like the story and the interconnected pigs and people, but the storytelling style/cinematography, while skilled, is not my taste.
October 24, 2016
Terrence Malick with a sci-fi twist.
October 13, 2016
Horrible film. Save your time and skip this movie.
October 13, 2016
21%
Saw this on 13/10/16
Critics and Shane Carruth can shove this fucking shit up their asses. Upstream Color is senseless and extremely boring. The film's plot is non-sensical and one must read the Wikipedia plot summary to get a fucking idea of what's going on. The intentions of the pathogen breeders are poorly etched in this crap of a film. The cinematography is good, but that alone cannot account for a stupid film.
September 30, 2016
Beautiful, moving, brilliant.
½ September 22, 2016
Very interesting. Also weird, and hard to follow. So watch it twice. I enjoyed it.
September 13, 2016
haunting, beautiful, and complex
August 21, 2016
Exposes accepts and embraces the inscrutability of our existence - while not losing the ability to be amazed and in awe of it.
August 21, 2016
I love art and art loves me. This IS ART!
½ August 14, 2016
Too many abstract ideas create a confusing story that is difficult to follow.
August 3, 2016
Officially the weirdest movie i have ever seen. Don't go in thinking you will "get it" on your first viewing, because you won't. Beautiful cinematography and top notch editing make this art house film one to remember, and possibly understand, on further viewings.
½ June 15, 2016
Pointless ... I'll never get that 90 minutes back, and my ears are numb from the score...
June 6, 2016
What a terrible movie. Stupid. Pointless. Bad LSD trip terrible.
May 25, 2016
This is a hard one to rate, as I felt I didn't understand it but at the same time it did seem like there was something to understand and even something worth another watch.
½ May 15, 2016
A near perfect film IMHO, and impressively Shane Carruth is credited with doing almost everything in the film, from producing, directing, music composing, cinematography, editing, and acting, et al. The other neat thing is that I don't recall a single four-letter word in it; and there was no nudity, nor gratuitous violence, all three of which are typically rife in Indie films. A unique psychological science fiction, romance, thriller. I believe I'd like to work with Shane in some capacity on his next film adventure.
½ April 9, 2016
Years after making his brilliant sci-fi masterpiece Primer, Shane Carruth makes a mess of a film, which has an extremely thin plot, little to no characterization, and a painful dose of style over substance. A pretentious film, Upstream Color only succeeds in having cool visuals; everything else is bad.