Upstream Color - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upstream Color Reviews

½ March 18, 2016
Forget, remember, forget....backwards, forwards...uneven, abrupt editing to make it feel even more upside down. You'd think with all that it would be more exciting, but no. Watching abstract amnesia can only be so interesting for so long...Time to watch Memento again to see it done correctly.
March 16, 2016
The narrative may be tough on the initial watch but there is enough technical achievements to help get through and leaves a desire to sit through it again.
Grade: B+
March 15, 2016
When I come across Upstream Color on the trailers, it looked different form Shane Carruth's previous film Primer which I'll give him credit for doing something new and not just doing the same old tricks. I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes, and I saw that they praise it for doing an "experimental film" done right which I didn't get why it was called that, but I was curious about it. So after I finished watching Primer, I watched this after that which turns out to be a better film. Just when I thought that Primer was very confusing, this was even more confusing from beginning to end which never happens to me before and just might be the most confusing film that I have seen from first viewing, but surprisingly enough, it never made me bored or not care about the film. Shane Carruth is really good in this, and Amy Seimetz was just fantastic and is one of the best parts of the film. She does happy, scared, mad, and crazy very well that I didn't find it out of place for her and just find it believable when it comes to those scenes. The cinematography is fantastic, and the imagery of it is stellar to look at. The soundtrack was very catchy and very soothing to listen to that pretty much makes you feel relaxed and just enjoying the ride. The characters are very developed, and the writing by Shane Carruth is well written. The chemistry between Shane Carruth and Amy Seimetz is very good and they seem to be a believable and caring couple. The movie is confusing don't get me wrong on that one, but I was very fascinated on the movie as I felt that it was trying to be its own world in the abstract part and was giving deeper meanings into it which got me to search it on YouTube so I'll understand what just happen, which rarely happens for me and I'm glad that it was Upstream Color that got me the motive to do that as I didn't with The Tree of Life.
½ February 23, 2016
Weird and at times deliberately obtuse, but ultimately able to convey a surprising weight of emotion through an ultimately uplifting narrative.
February 21, 2016
Either its one of those days or one of those movies, couldn't follow most of it.
While the abstract narrative might leave you scratching your head, but arresting visuals and the enigma surrounding it keeps you going through.
February 9, 2016
An interesting snooze-fest.
½ February 1, 2016
Utterly bizarre, but weirdly compelling.
January 17, 2016
Not really clear what the point is, and that's not always a bad thing, but in this case it's just too muddy.
½ January 9, 2016
I dunno man, pretty weird. Lots of random scene changes and stuff. Interesting in a filmmaking sense, but the plot is lost. And frankly, I didn't care much for the characters. I had a similar problem in Primer, but there the unwinding of the plot held my interest despite the very drab characterizations. I can't say that I understood the full underlying intent of the plot here.
½ December 18, 2015
This movie had me, and totally lost me. You want to get bored to tears? Pop in this movie. If it sustained the constant, abstract, slightly disturbing tone of the first 30 minutes, all would be right. But then, nothing happens after that. I had to turn this off.
December 13, 2015
Upstream Color is a mystifying film that creates a hazy world of blended lives that is completely absorbing, but refuses to give any easy answers. The simplistic, minimal dialogue was fantastic and the music throughout was great and added to the mood.
½ November 25, 2015
I saw this movie though I am not sure what I took away from it. I may need to watch it again.
November 25, 2015
Instagram for non-readers and coffeehouse moles.
November 7, 2015
This one will stick with you, for better of for worse.
November 3, 2015
Bizarre, ambitious, and far too many levels to keep up with. I loved every second of this movie.
½ October 25, 2015
I have to admit this kind of cinema is not my favourite, and I cannot say anything else that Upstream Color could well be the best example of abstractism and american experimental cinema (directly quoted from a critic), but I wouldn't be able to appreciate it. I tried to simphasize with the characters but I was not able to get involved with them, except maybe for a brief moment, that went away just as it came. Visually I found Upstream Color amazing and very strong, with a choice for the music nearly obsessive. The fact is not surprising if you consider that these two elements are probably the pillars of the movie, but again I didn't appreciate the movie and for more than half of the lasting I hoped that it would end soon.
October 6, 2015
"Experimental" is the best description for this film, if by that you mean a plot with more holes than a block of Swiss cheese. Dr. Frankenstein had an experiment too, and like this movie, it wasn't stitched together very well.
I liked Primer, watched it 3 times. But I couldn't stand to watch this again. The entire movie is spent trying to figure out how the scene you are watching fits in with the rest. Many times it is inexplicable as to how, and when, the scenes mesh. The trouble with that is you don't get to enjoy any "story" while playing Sherlock Holmes with the vaporous plot.
In trying to be avant-garde, Shane Carruth has made the common mistake that many writer-director-producers do: It seems he failed to ask anyone else if they understood what was going on before releasing this film. The end result is much like the Emperor's new clothes: some will claim to understand this "masterpiece", others with a more critical eye for story will see that this film as seriously flawed.
Shane, if you read this review, please go buy a copy of McKee's "Story" and read it cover to cover before you film anything else.
½ September 30, 2015
A highly interesting psycho-thriller that challenges us to interpret its complex narrative and cryptic symbolism, even if the result is not exactly involving - and Carruth deserves a lot of credit for how he makes use of outstanding visual and auditory match cuts.
September 26, 2015
This movie blew chunks. I don't mind elliptical plots if it says something profound. This doesn't. I don't mind plot holes if they're logical. These aren't. I don't mind lame music if it's just there to hold things together. This didn't. Terrible movie. Do not watch.
½ September 19, 2015
While difficult to follow at times (part of Shane Carruth's style), this movie weaves a creative story. While the film may not be for everyone, if you're into a cerebral take on mind control, this movie could well work for you.