Upstream Color - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upstream Color Reviews

September 10, 2015
One of the greatest films of the past decade.
½ August 29, 2015
Weird but understandable. A little long winded at time. Get moving movie.
August 24, 2015
Looks great considering the budget but Upstream Color is nothing but a average artsy fartsy pretentious film. With little story or no development making for a mundane drone and its inability for getting any emotion out of the audience.
August 7, 2015
You need a full whack of either shrooms or weed to fully enjoy this film
August 2, 2015
Undefinable and incomprehensible on a single watch, Carruth's lyrical film tells the tale of two people caught in a worm-pig-orchid life cycle, all courtesy of a mind controlling parasite. Odd?Complex? We haven't even talked about The Thief or The Sampler! Inspired by the concepts of transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau, this is really visionary and original filmmaking that doesn't take audiences for granted as it questions whether we control our identity or we let our identity control us. Hypnotic editing and heightened sound design are heavily favoured over the verbal and help make the experience as intriguing as the greatest mysteries of life. Watch if you are not afraid of the unknown!
½ July 31, 2015
kind of like eternal sunshine, but much stranger
July 14, 2015
No sé si la entendí.
No sé si me gustó.
No sé si no me gustó.
No sé.
½ July 12, 2015
Weird but i love it,the masterpiece of Shane Carruth is here.
July 10, 2015
I've no idea what I just watched but boy, was it gripping.
½ July 3, 2015
All kinds of bizarre but undeniably beautiful and fascinating.
½ June 25, 2015
An experimental dream like experience which maintains the viewer's focus despite it's slight indulgence and minimal use of dialogue. Strong visuals and soundtrack.
½ June 25, 2015
I imagine a lot of people will find this infuriating. Totally twisted yet utterly compelling. The best way to describe it, erm... Eternal Pigsty Of The Wormless Mind.
June 24, 2015
Shane Carruth has created nothing short of a masterpiece. This low-budget film never feels "low budget" and offers so many textures and complexities in aspects of mystery, love, literature, contagion and human fears -- the idea of multiple viewing is not only suggested and it is demanded. This was the best film of 2013. Amy Seimetz remains a revelatory actor.
June 22, 2015
a woman unwittingly under goes a series of bizarre expriments
then meets a kindred spirit who may have experienced the same ordeal
½ June 19, 2015
Shane Carruth directed the 2004 indie sci-fi film "Primer" which was a complex and creative time travel movie. This follow-up feature is about a woman who is hypnotized and robbed by a powerful drug, and then finds herself robbed and her life in ruins afterward, only to connect with a man who may have had a similar experience. Also pigs are involved. It is a head trip of a movie, one that doesn't explain itself and leaves it to the viewer to figure it all out. It is a slow movie, but I enjoyed it...and it is hard to deny the power of thinking about a movie long after it has ended.
May 26, 2015
A phenomenal work of experimental cinema. Shane Carruth is a genius. Spectacularly filmed and moving to a fault. By the end, Upstream Color is merely a romance between two people, shared by one organism.
May 24, 2015
If there were an Academy Award for Best Allegorical Use of a Parasite with a Complex Life Cycle I'm pretty sure this movie would win.
May 21, 2015
Although more refined and mature than Primer, there's a fundamentally contrived unbalanced between abstraction and information, meaning and emotions. The result is a respectfully ambitious piece that at its best is an exceptionally evocative experimental artform, but also a confused cinematic experience, frayed between a story, puzzle, or an exploration of ideas.
May 15, 2015
Just magnificent, I watch it pretty much every month since it came out.
May 4, 2015
Awe inspiringly hypnotic. Upstream Color is pure, luminous, quiet poetry. Nature, human frailty, creative symmetry and science gradually distill and converge to set the scene for a muted air of complex suspense that resonates at a deeper level. Allow your ideas to meld and trust the emerging abstraction as the plot gradually threads together.