Upstream Color - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upstream Color Reviews

½ September 30, 2015
A highly interesting psycho-thriller that challenges us to interpret its complex narrative and cryptic symbolism, even if the result is not exactly involving - and Carruth deserves a lot of credit for how he makes use of outstanding visual and auditory match cuts.
September 26, 2015
This movie blew chunks. I don't mind elliptical plots if it says something profound. This doesn't. I don't mind plot holes if they're logical. These aren't. I don't mind lame music if it's just there to hold things together. This didn't. Terrible movie. Do not watch.
½ September 19, 2015
While difficult to follow at times (part of Shane Carruth's style), this movie weaves a creative story. While the film may not be for everyone, if you're into a cerebral take on mind control, this movie could well work for you.
September 18, 2015
An interesting sci-fi mystery film which depicts a strange story with intriguing elements in music, narrative and characters who unfold delicately. It boosts with originality and ends inducing a shivering sensation then leading to puzzlement.
September 18, 2015
Enthralling and coherent at first, pretentious and nonsensical at the end. The emperor has no clothes. Don't waste your time.
September 10, 2015
One of the greatest films of the past decade.
½ August 29, 2015
Weird but understandable. A little long winded at time. Get moving movie.
August 24, 2015
Looks great considering the budget but Upstream Color is nothing but a average artsy fartsy pretentious film. With little story or no development making for a mundane drone and its inability for getting any emotion out of the audience.
August 7, 2015
You need a full whack of either shrooms or weed to fully enjoy this film
August 2, 2015
Undefinable and incomprehensible on a single watch, Carruth's lyrical film tells the tale of two people caught in a worm-pig-orchid life cycle, all courtesy of a mind controlling parasite. Odd?Complex? We haven't even talked about The Thief or The Sampler! Inspired by the concepts of transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau, this is really visionary and original filmmaking that doesn't take audiences for granted as it questions whether we control our identity or we let our identity control us. Hypnotic editing and heightened sound design are heavily favoured over the verbal and help make the experience as intriguing as the greatest mysteries of life. Watch if you are not afraid of the unknown!
½ July 31, 2015
kind of like eternal sunshine, but much stranger
July 14, 2015
No sé si la entendí.
No sé si me gustó.
No sé si no me gustó.
No sé.
½ July 12, 2015
Weird but i love it,the masterpiece of Shane Carruth is here.
July 10, 2015
I've no idea what I just watched but boy, was it gripping.
½ July 3, 2015
All kinds of bizarre but undeniably beautiful and fascinating.
½ June 25, 2015
An experimental dream like experience which maintains the viewer's focus despite it's slight indulgence and minimal use of dialogue. Strong visuals and soundtrack.
½ June 25, 2015
I imagine a lot of people will find this infuriating. Totally twisted yet utterly compelling. The best way to describe it, erm... Eternal Pigsty Of The Wormless Mind.
June 24, 2015
Shane Carruth has created nothing short of a masterpiece. This low-budget film never feels "low budget" and offers so many textures and complexities in aspects of mystery, love, literature, contagion and human fears -- the idea of multiple viewing is not only suggested and it is demanded. This was the best film of 2013. Amy Seimetz remains a revelatory actor.
June 22, 2015
a woman unwittingly under goes a series of bizarre expriments
then meets a kindred spirit who may have experienced the same ordeal
½ June 19, 2015
Shane Carruth directed the 2004 indie sci-fi film "Primer" which was a complex and creative time travel movie. This follow-up feature is about a woman who is hypnotized and robbed by a powerful drug, and then finds herself robbed and her life in ruins afterward, only to connect with a man who may have had a similar experience. Also pigs are involved. It is a head trip of a movie, one that doesn't explain itself and leaves it to the viewer to figure it all out. It is a slow movie, but I enjoyed it...and it is hard to deny the power of thinking about a movie long after it has ended.