Urban Explorers: Into the Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Urban Explorers: Into the Darkness Reviews

½ January 22, 2013
Urban Explorers: Into the Darkness (Melody Gilbert, 2007)

Quick doco that, unlike most of the Urban Explorer stuff I've seen, focuses more on the personalities than it does the places. Which is all well and good, though I'm not entirely sure Gilbert went for a real cross-section; she seems to have focused on the geekier members of the underground (if you'll pardon the pun) fraternity, culminating in a massive convention in Europe that will look kind of distressingly familiar if you've ever seen Trekkies. Still, one never gets the feeling that Gilbert is laughing at these folks, and there's something to be said for that. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this one-to be honest, with urban explorer documentaries I'm usually looking for the places, not the people-so I'm giving it the gentleman's C and letting you decide for yourself. ** 1/2
March 1, 2012
- I thought this documentary was pretty cool. I personally love exploring places that were once full of life and had some kind of history to it, that are now 'run-down'. It's an odd feeling that you don't get going to common places that everyone else goes to. I think it's hard to explain to someone who isn't into this kind of thing themselves, but to me this was interesting to watch! :)
July 26, 2011
A) I enjoyed how diverse the individuals in the groups were B) The French are crazy C) I enjoyed the photos at the end. ...
November 9, 2010
Surprisingly well-made documentary on UE, featuring some of the people I knew on the old UER boards. I'm glad it wasn't presented as some kind of new "extreme" sport or otherwise glamourized. Sad that there was no mention of people like Ninjalicious who really inspired many to take up the hobby in the first place.
August 22, 2010
I didn't know what to expect from this film, but somehow I was disappointed anyway. There weren't many cool sights to be seen other than some run-down buildings and I've seen enough of those.
½ June 23, 2010
I had really hoped for some unique footage and oddball stories, but this turned into more of a reality show about the lives of the enthusiasts. This kind of documentary filmmaking seems to be a disappointing new trend now, undoubtedly spurred on byt the popularity of the aforementioned reality shows.
½ May 30, 2010
THIS i wanna try out and see if i like it...big time. Very interesting and thought provoking.
May 24, 2010
I liked this documentary because it kinda opened my eyes to the delusions of grandeur I was having regarding urban exploration. Walking in sewage and being hassled by bums and police are not what I am looking for.
½ May 16, 2010
Great documentary if you are interested in this sort of thing.