Urban Cowboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Urban Cowboy Reviews

½ November 15, 2017
Always a favorite of mine. Its a trip to Texas where you would work on the pipe line during the day(lots of hiring in that time of history ) and drink at Gilleys at nite. Bud rolls into town to live with Uncle Bob and Aunt Corene to work on the pipe line. The handsome cowboy meets Sissy and they fall in love fast. Their chemistry on this simple film is heart warming . All characters flow smoothly in this story of Texas in that time. Scott Glenn probley first film plays an amazing bad guy that you will hate him for along time. You'd never believe it's Scott Glenn. His character is the ex-con who runs the mechanical bull at Gilleys at nite sleeping in a trailor in the back parking lot. His name id Tatoo and comes into the picture while Bud and Sissy start to come unhinged. You;ll love Bud, Sissy and Uncle Bill and Aunt Corene who are so loving to their Bud like a real son. Wanna take a trip to Texas in 1980?! Go watch it. Soundtrack is great too!!!
September 28, 2017
Pretty silly throughout, but just goofy enough to be entertaining. Debra Winger shines the most and to me Scott Glenn is probably the most interesting character. Definitely not great cinema with its silly soap opera story. But I was strangely entertained.
½ February 3, 2017
Succeeds more than it fails. Very overlong, and so many of the characters, including the principals, are largely stereotypes. Travolta and Winger do show some chemistry, and Travolta is not yet in the preening stage of his erratic career.
October 24, 2016
Awesome movie. Definitely a classic. I definitely have seen this move well over a hundred times and will continue to watch this. Guilty pleasure for we city folk who lived through and loved the cowboy bar line dancing craze. Ernest performances by a stellar cast includes ample footage from the original Gilley's, capturing the full feel of two-step dancing and a rousing music performance of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by the Charlie Daniels band. Yes, it's corny, at times cringe worthy but remains an endearing snapshot of the post disco era with two of the most popular actors of the time at their most gorgeous. You'll love it!
May 22, 2016
Urban Cowshit, more like
December 11, 2015
It's a crime that I'm just now seeing this flick for the first time. Amazing. Love Debra Winger, and the country music was beautiful and comforting.
November 16, 2015
Two stepping and proovin' it since 1980
August 20, 2015
John Travolta is a true cowboy!
August 11, 2015
urban cowboy was a fairly good film I only really liked just the beginning and end
of the film
½ April 10, 2015
I am not a fan of the music but the actors make these characters pop and that's all that really maters.
April 7, 2015
I love this CRAZY love story!
February 3, 2015
it was a pretty good movie
½ September 22, 2014
As miscast as it feels Travolta doesn't do a half bad cowboy. Though not the most exciting or entertaining flick Urban Cowboy has its limited appeal and even though it is a bit overly long it still manages a moment or two where it becomes a built of a guilty pleasure.
June 15, 2014
A classic revisited still holds up well with the passage of time (and thus a classic).
June 1, 2014
Very Good Modern Western
May 28, 2014
at first i was like this is a cheesy ass movie!! i guess watching in 2014 cld b the reason but i no spring chicken and i like Travolta but this movie was i thought was soo dam cheesy BUT i actually fell n love with in at then end! the ending got me it like wrapped up the whole movie for me and made me like it a lot.
½ May 26, 2014
A very typical seventies drama (from 1980). It has that very non-hollywood feel to it and doesn't speed through the story. I wondered why they picked an Italian American musical / dance star to play a macho rodeo loving, wife beating, cowboy. Probably because they couldn't get any real macho cowboy stars to perform all the dance scenes. The story isn't too bad but it's not too gripping either; I don't think a modern audience would warm to Bud these days mind.
March 16, 2014
Bud & Sissy...one of my all time favorites!!!
March 12, 2014
watched it for the first time today not being a big drama movie guy I still got to say this movie was great right down to the tee I'm suprised its not more popular
February 11, 2014
Classic movie. Just seen it for the first time in years!