Urbania - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Urbania Reviews

½ November 12, 2014
May 20, 2014
Rarely you see films boring like this one. A messy, random, pointless story, executed without any directorial talent whatsoever. Thanks to the random flashbacks and flashforwards, you see 20 times sequencies you have already found boring the first time. All filled with a horrible, intrusive and boring music. A real waste of time.
May 13, 2014
Slow at first....but them it gets alot more interesting. Very well acted, and the story is astounding.
May 13, 2014
Started out as a really cool idea...Urban Legends come to life..and then it turns gay...real gay..Literally
May 13, 2014
Urbania is a WONDERFUL film. Although 40% of it is bogged down with the stuff of Urban legends, the remaining 60% tells a beautiful, if troubling story or love and loss. Dan FUTTERMAN and Matthew KEESLAR both win and break my heart.

If you are a gay man, this is an absolute must see -- however, the beauty of the film is that, while its main characters are gay, it isn't AT ALL about them being gay, so being gay is not at all essential to appreciating and LOVING this film.

See this one if you like a little thrill with your urban epic romances.

Urbania: A-
May 13, 2014
A film that is, at varying time, heartbreaking romantic and tragic, vengeful and dark, and abrasively humorous, there's a lot to admire here!
May 13, 2014
A rather negative film, not the cheeriest. It has some good scenes, the acting is fine, the direction okay, but just didn't care for the seaminess of it. Gloomy. It almost works great, it is just lacking something. but it did hold my interest.
mirabella1996
URBANIA (2000)
Directed by Jon Shear.

Not my kind of film.
It is an urban gay drama.
I couldn't identify with any of the characters & ended up FF through most of it.

No rating.
May 13, 2014
I watched 45 minutes of this and couldn't make sense of it. The concept is good, and this should have been really interesting, but I couldn't force myself to sit through the whole thing. It's too disjointed and weak to hold my interest.
½ May 13, 2014
wierd. lynch-things, with gayness. ahah.
May 13, 2014
The third act of Urbania, in which we figure out exactly why our hero has been following and obsessing about a man who definitely doesn't seem his type, packs an absolutely devastating emotional impact, as secrets come out and a character's actions suddenly come into sharp, icy focus. It's a shame, then, that you have to wade through so much pretension and awkwardness to get there. For most of its running time, Urbania deals with one of two themes. The first is a recurring motif of urban legends, a gimmick that never seems to mesh with anything the film is about, and thankfully gets discarded along the way, even though the end effect is to make you wonder why bother with it all in the first place. The second is a series of encounters between Charlie and various citizens of the city; while knowing the film's big reveal places a lot of that into focus, the film's intent desire to have it be a big twist ends up hurting a lot of what came before it by making it inscrutable and sometimes just confusing. I really do love the conclusion of the movie, but I wish the rest of the film could live up to its impact.
May 13, 2014
I recomend everone to see this one. It really hit home for me.
May 13, 2014
It was good, but it was a bit too creepy for my tastes. Very good though. I wouldn't want to own it, but it was good.
May 13, 2014
Gay urban (You never woulda guessed) tale that's quite interesting in parts, too obvious in others. The director really tries to communicate unfairness for GLBT people, how when compared to straights that have things for granted, life really sucks and it's difficult to enjoy being. I think the beginning is supposed to bring in or attract hetero-thinking people because it seems to be a normal "straight" story with a wicked taste. It's deceiving and ambiguous until the terms "boyfriend" and "him" pop up. I think even the lead actor is straight in real life, he was the only one butch among the gay characters, thus the only attractive one.

I don't like the thought of "your side must be disrespected in order for ours to gain equality" - it was difficult taking the moral seriously and not as just bitching. But characters were interesting, some of what's covered in the Flixster synopsis is only heard of and not really seen; there's a lot of storytelling.
½ May 13, 2014
une histoire assez classique même si la prà (C)sentation des à (C)vènements passà (C)s se fait au compte gouttes. Le rythme est plutôt lent.
May 13, 2014
Dark thriller. Could see myself in this movie if I was subject to what they went through.
Never a dull moment.
May 13, 2014
Such a moving, disturbing, and utterly haumting film. One of those that I immediately watched again with the audio commentary on.
May 13, 2014
Liked it but did not love it. As a story or revenge and/or atonement it works for me. It is flawed however in the way that it is edited and directed; there are some silent scenes that get quite tedious as they take them from different angles without a real need for such a technique Another thing that just seemed a bit forced was the whole "urban legend" concept; even though this is based on some urban folk-tales play the story could have been just as good without it. The acting is good on the part of most characters (especially Dan Futterman as a tortured sould in search for "the one"), but the "bad" guy really leaves much to be desired. Must admit that I did love the ending though (specifically the dream-like sequence where the main character visits his boyfirend's place and he realizes that home is long gone). A decent effort nonetheless, especially when compared to other films with a "gay" theme.