Urgh! A Music War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Urgh! A Music War Reviews

March 24, 2015
My favorite Concert movie of all time. Remember watching it on USA's "Night Flight" on TV back in the 80s. Great live concert footage of classic new-wave/punk bands of the time including XTC, The Dead Kennedys, Gary Numan, Oingo Boingo and a most outrageous live performance from The Cramps featuring Lux Interior! Classic 80s music time capsule!
½ February 25, 2013
This is just great, if you love nearly all of these bands then what more can you ask for? This is great history, i can't get over it, from punk to new wave to the downright unclassified. This is a great experience for anyone that never got to see these bands or live in those musical breeding grounds.
½ May 29, 2012
A time capsule of alternative music in the UK and US circa 1980 -- surprisingly more hits than misses (although there are certainly some painful moments from acts I never heard of, and I didn't really need two tracks from the Police). Being slightly too young to be tuned in at the time (I don't think I would have gone for Pere Ubu or Gang of Four at age 12) a lot of this still conjures up memories for that period of exploration just afterward (and for sweaty live shows). A really crazy mix with highlights from The Cramps, Devo, Dead Kennedys, Echo & the Bunnymen, Gary Numan, XTC, Au Pairs and the aforementioned Pere Ubu and Gang of Four). Worth a look, even if the fantasy list of acts that could have been included could drive you mad.
½ February 17, 2011
Like a lot of concert films, there isn't much here that experiments with form or visuals. But if you think this might be your sort of thing, then it is - the performances are all musically solid even if the band isn't doing anything too visually interesting on stage.
January 10, 2011
A great concert movie, it's got a lot of fantastic bands, and if you love new wave music, you'll love it.
August 22, 2010
I can't believe this is back in print!!!! YOU MUST WATCH THIS, this is HISTORY HERE FOLKS!
November 14, 2009
Gary Numan, XTC, Wall of Voodoo are my favourite performances on this great concert film! A must see for all fans of the 80's!
July 13, 2009
Bad fashion, good music.
June 20, 2009
A masterpiece picture captures what the music scene was like in 1981. This is when (some) punks started wearing white shirts and skinny black ties and the art crowd got dirty and they all mixed together creating mutual influence. You can tell a musical scene is healthy when you film 34 bands from all over the map and every performance kicks total ass. Even the Go-Go's are good here. If you think Devo was just some weirdo quirk band, they rock harder than almost any one in this film. The 2 minute Gang of Four performance will leave you speechless. And so, probably, will The Cramps, although it might be Klaus Nomi who steals the show.
May 12, 2009
Absolutely one of the best concert films to date, this melange of popular, unknown, one-hit wonder and intriguingly eclectic bands is a must-see for any fan of 80's music. Even the few "bad" bands are worth watching, if only for curiosity's sake. Too bad this hasn't been officially re-released on DVD or Blu-Ray (for assorted legal reasons) - it would be awesome to see everything including the bunch of clips that's didn't make it into the theatrical release.
February 9, 2009
Fantastic concert excerpts from great bands at the time, if you love 80s new wave bands, check this out for sure.
January 23, 2009
the film that turned me into a post punk, new wave, reggae fan in my teens. I remember getting mad about Wall of voodoo and Steel Pulse, two band I hadn't heard of up to then...and still listen to now!
½ January 18, 2009
Supertramp production !
½ November 5, 2008
If you're a fan of kick ass new wave you'll thrill to this incredible concert film that includes ass-kicking performances from Gary Numan, XTC and more.
October 29, 2008
Captures performances from some great and under appreciated 80s bands, including Gang of Four, The Cramps, XTC, Dead Kennedys, Oingo Boingo, The Police, Wall of Voodoo, Echo & The Bunnymen and Devo.
August 22, 2008
I saw this waaay back in the 80's and have been looking for a copy ever since. A great mix of genres all playing live from different venues, with early 80's bands like The Police, XTC, Dead Kennedys, The GoGos, Oingo Boingo, Devo, Echo & The Bunnymen, and OMD. It's a good way to revisit a time when so many new music forms were in their infancy.