Urok (The Lesson) Reviews

• Jul 30, 2020

A very nicely narrated film that, despite its flaws, is absolutely on-point. The protagonist's acting and the direction are both wonderful, its plot is suspenseful and engaging and, finally, it is a story that feels real and successfully avoids melodrama.

• Mar 06, 2018

Ethics and trials - a great Anima figure for a nation

Ethics and trials - a great Anima figure for a nation

• Mar 25, 2017

Detailed criticism in Turkish language is downlink : http://www.novicinema.com/2017/03/bir-toplumsal-anomi-portresi-urok.html

• Nov 26, 2016

Refreshing to see a movie so real and neutral in so many ways. Interesting plot and story line that unfolds on neutral ground. No typical predictable hollywood writing in this movie. I look forward to seeing more from this director.

• Dec 10, 2015

A film which generates edge-of-the-seat tension from a seemingly oridnary story. The focus of the film is Nada's efforts to save her house from being repossessed after her husband has failed to repay a loan and as problem follows problem I found my stomach tightening and tightening. The complete lack of 'dramatic' background music added to the realism of the depiction and thus my empathy for the very real human drama being portrayed.

• Dec 01, 2015

it's good, some forced twists to fit the closing scene, but excellent work with acting, sound and camera

• Nov 14, 2015

I liked the lead actress in this. I would like to see more films with her in them. A foreign film worth seeing.

• Sep 26, 2015

Simple. Tight. Restrained. Minimal. Intense. Unforgettable. Pushed to extremes a young and highly ethical teacher suddenly finds herself pushed to a limit where all of her values must be re-evaluated. A potent examination from Bulgaria about survival in the Bulgarian/Greek economic crisis. Not to be missed.

• Mar 08, 2015

A Bulgarian drama about class struggle, that grows more potent alongside the rage of its main character. Kind of like Two Days One Night, only with a less predictable script, and more morose humor.