Used Cars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Used Cars Reviews

½ November 9, 2016
The only thing I liked about this movie was the dog.
August 17, 2016
Freakin' hilarious! Kurt has never looked like he was having as much fun in a role as this!
½ August 7, 2016
Black comedy about car salesman. The first half is fantastic while the second half of this movie drifts off into predictable silliness.
July 12, 2016
WHAT took me so long to see this movie !!! this was funny director Robert zemicks before he took us back to the future brings us this comedy nobody saw in the early 80s and had one of my favorite actors in it Kurt Russell !! good story ,Korny and funny moments and it had boobs in it .....maybe that's I never heard of it My mom must change the channel if it was on cable when I was kid !! :-0
June 12, 2016
I consider this one to be a cult classic.
Try watching it with the commentary as well you'll enjoy it even more.
January 19, 2016
A comedy about lying is difficult to approve of and yet Zemeckis' team and presentation will at least have you consider it's viability. The fantasy, about two used car dealerships vying for dominance in the desert Southwest, is a decent platform for the general thesis, a natural one. Where else does one expect lying as a given (and don't say politics or prostitution, cause that's too easy)? Sure, like lying, they go a little overboard, but it's all in good fun.
November 1, 2015
Rival used car lots wage escalating war as one attempts to take over the other. Fine comedy that often crosses the line into bad taste and foul language. Jack Warden is excellent and Toby the dog steals every scene he's in.
½ September 13, 2015
this was filmed in Mesa Arizona & there's a part where I'm in the back ground
September 9, 2015
When this was first released the studio wasn't behind it and a lot of people just didn't get that it was a "black comedy". Later on Pauline Kael gave it a great review and it finally made a little money.
May 27, 2015
Good old fashioned 80s raunchy comedy. Kurt Russell is always an added bonus.
April 10, 2015
This wicked comedy gives bad taste a good name.
September 29, 2014
Typical 80's movie ha.
July 17, 2014
Funny, well-scripted and well-directed by young Robert Zemeckis for a low budget. Kurt Russell and Jack Warden are hilarious! A cult classic in the making for sure!
½ May 10, 2014
Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale know their stuff when it comes to zany entertainment a la Back To The Future, and this little known early 80s gem is often overlooked in their oeuvre. Sleazy car salesman Kurt Russell and co. deliver laughs aplenty as they clash with jack Warden's cartoonishly crooked (and aptly named) rival, Roy L. Fuchs. Used Cars may not be as quotable and rewatchable as other 80s comedy classics, or other Zemeckis greats, but the director's signature charm thrives and, predictabilities and pacing problems aside, this film genuinely is 113 mins of fantastic family fun. Essentially, it's Police Academy with car salesman.
½ May 9, 2014
5/5/2014: An ok movie. A pretty cheesy, but somewhat funny flick.
April 11, 2014
This is a true classic! Very funny and not for the PC of heart!
November 23, 2013
Best comedy of all time
½ November 4, 2013
Before "Back to the Future" and years of steady success, Robert Zemeckis directed and co-wrote (with his "Back to the Future" co-writer Bob Gale) this comedy about nasty used car salesmen. Kurt Russell is a salesmen who longs to be in politics, and after his boss dies he decides to use real nasty tactics to boost sales so he can run for State Senate. It's the only Zemeckis film I've seen that is a little too raunchy for younger audiences. It is also one of his weaker films. It has a similar tone and pace to Spielberg's "1941", which Gale and Zemeckis also wrote. I actually kinda like both this and "1941", but neither is admittedly all that good. Luckily Zemeckis got hired by Michael Douglas for "Romancing the Stone", which turned his career around from being in the dumps.
½ September 2, 2013
Not as polished as Bob Zemeckis' later films but even in his early days he knew how to make a film undeniable fun to watch.
August 14, 2013