V for Vendetta - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

V for Vendetta Reviews

December 1, 2016
I saw this movie several times because I loved it, don't know why is this underrated. It should has won an OSCAR for best director but unfortunately it hasn't. This is best superhero movie after The Dark Knight and Rises. Hugo Weaving has done excellent job here in this movie and also has really nice costume. If anyone hasn't seen this movie U should see now. THIS IS FANTASTIC MOVIE.
November 17, 2016
Based on the graphic novel by Alan Moore, 'V for Vendetta' is a political thriller set in a fascist-ruled England in the 2020s. A film that delves into the political side of oppression and anarchy, whilst running a somewhat emotive and heartfelt story of a character in betrayal, 'V for Vendetta' is a visually stunning and extremely smart flick with some fantastic performances from Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman (whose English accent is rather impressive). The film is nowadays considered a cult classic, and rightfully so, even to the extent that the film has been utilised by governments as an allegory of oppression.
November 13, 2016
Critics rating for this movie is a proof how dump and shallow minded every critic who didn't give this movie a full score. Since its release and it's connected with November (remember remember the fifth of November).
November 13, 2016
Probably the best political movie that exist. Everything about it is just fantastic.
A Great Comic Book Adaptation By The Creators Of The Matrix Trilogy
The Best Thing About The Movie Is How Well Directed This Movie Is And The Not Best Thing About The Movie Is There Very Few Action Sequences As They Were Showing On Trailer But That Few Action Sequence Was Also So Awesome And Every Character In This Movie Is So Well Written I Loved It And It Is One Of The Most Underrated Comic Book Adapted Movie Of All Time
November 10, 2016
Literally my favorite movie of all time. Every action and word means something. It is visually stunning and perfectly casted. I can watch it over and over and never get tired of it.
November 8, 2016
This will Be An Interesting One when I'm Old enough
Good to see that BS from 2006 didn't hurt this classic
½ November 5, 2016
Like a Tarantino without any of his flare for dialogue. A comic book movie fittingly realised with comically bad English accents.
½ November 5, 2016
Hard to enjoy a movie that is based on ideas that you are bitterly opposed to.

Guy Fawkes was a traitor who would be called a terrorist by today's standards. He tried to bomb parliment and would have killed hundreds had his plot not been foiled. So for the main character to be chosen to associate with this monster is wrong. Next, there were supposed to be parallels drawn to the Bush presidency? I don't see this but I do believe it's wrong to try and demonize a president who tried to uphold the office with dignity and acceptance of the democratic process, which he did, even if you disagree with his policies.

Finally, if the themes that are supported in this movie don't disagree with you then the scene where the "protagonist" takes 100 rounds and in his death throes still has the energy and speed to deliver 30 fatal knife wounds to as many soldiers ruins the movie. Its just so unrealistic I don't know where to begin.

That's my take on this movie.
½ November 5, 2016
With well crafted direction, a faithful script and terrific adaptation of the source material, V for Vendetta manages to accomplish a crude and interesting look at the dystopian-political scenario, complementing a great premise with the astonishing performances of Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman.
November 5, 2016
"The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous."

V for Vendetta is a dramatic and powerful piece of fiction that says so much that it's a shame critics miss understood it.

P.S. Hugo Weaving, I love you man.
November 5, 2016
This was a great movie! Good cast, good plot, good story line. Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman are great together. Great movie!
November 5, 2016
An excellent movie with some great discussion points, some fantastic action, and a great story line.
November 4, 2016
Every fifth november reminds me of this, truly a masterpiece.
½ October 30, 2016
Badly amateurish in its production, acting, writing, direction, or all four at various points, but its still an effective story thanks to the great strength of Moore's work and the good taste in casting. The the kind of film that I really do enjoy the most. Basically entertaining while seriously challenging.
October 24, 2016
Love the movie..its kinda like what's going on right now....with the water thats poison...really makes you think
October 13, 2016
V for Vendetta is the directorial debut of James McTeigue, and it stars Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, Stephen Rea, and John Hurt in a dystopian political thriller that is based on the same comic book by David Lloyd and Alan Moore about England being under command of its ruler in the distant future, and when Evey Hammond (Natalie Portman) almost got attacked by some people, a vigilante that wears a Guy Fawkes mask saves her, and kept her for a while as other people will start looking for her also, which she starts to figure more about his plan before November 5th has come in. When I first watched this film years ago, all I remember from it is that it has one of the best writing that I've seen in a film in years, so it was something to look forward to when seeing it again, and to my surprise, V for Vendetta turned out to be one of my favorite films. Hugo Weaving is amazing in this that you can only hear his voice and not see his face, and he's very intimidating even with the mask on. Natalie Portman is great as she usually is, and when she has to act like she lost her feeling of her emotions, it's better acted than I saw from Will Smith or Jaden Smith in After Earth. Stephen Rea does a good job of acting monotonous, and John Hurt is really good as the villain as I never seen him play that type of character. The characters are very three-dimensional, even with the subtle backstories from V whom we still don't know his identity, but wouldn't care about it as the characters are a lot of fun to watch. The writing by The Wachowski Brothers is at it's A game as the lines are clever, it tells some Bible quotes that are related to this story, and it's clever that when you think it'll lead this way, it goes to a different direction that surprised me. Even if there's a lot of exposition as The Wachowski Brothers usually write their films that way, but it's done in a well executed way that I didn't care. The political allegory is really clever, and it gives in to a lot of thought-provoking moments that gets people to think differently after watching this film. The action scenes are entertaining to watch, and the effects look really good with the explosions, and the setting that it takes place as it's a bit different in a way that takes place in the nearest future. The story is brilliantly told that it gets more crazy, but really fits to the tone of this and doesn't go over the top or cartoony. It's a lot of fun to watch, and it has a heck of an ending that I absolutely loved. V for Vendetta is a masterpiece for me that I understand why people still wears a Guy Fawkes mask to represent V for what he stand out for.
½ October 11, 2016
great movie with interesting concepts and creative scenes and situations. great acting by natalie portman, and an amazing score. very moving and deep movie. not your traditional superhero movie, but what it lacked in action it made up for in substance (2 viewings)
½ October 4, 2016
On the one hand, a blockbuster action movie even attempting to make a statement on modern democracy (the references to the Bush administration and the Nazis are all but subtle) is laudable, and the film has its strengths- Weaving, Rea and Fry are great in their roles, the editing and story flow are fast, but never overwhelming, and some scenes like the domino montage are genuinely chilling. However, ultimately, V For Vendetta falls into mediocrity with its many, MANY plot holes (often deriving from the changes to the source material), its lackluster set design and, most importantly, in how unreflected, black-and-white and yet confused its message is. V is a hero in everything he does, his killings of nameless men in police suits or cartoon villains are glorified, so is the psychological torture of Evey, and that is never questioned. The film is sending a message on the power of ideas and the people while not allowing the audience to have their own ideas about the proceedings (again, V is a hero and the goverment are all but called Nazis, John Hurt's absurdly over-the-top performance doesn't help either) and stating that Norsefire manipulated the people in the movie, granting them amnesty from them electing Norsefire in the first place. The goverment SHOULD be scared of their people, but how can they be if you don't make them think for themselves and blindly follow symbols and icons.
This isn't be the intelligent action movie we deserve- however, in how simple its message is and in how unsubtlely it conveys it, it may be the one the public needs.