Valentino: The Last Emperor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Valentino: The Last Emperor Reviews

½ June 13, 2014
Valentino's career is such a foreign phenomena to me...this documentary was really interesting and insightful for me. I enjoyed it, and felt it was well-rounded in its gathering of perspectives.
May 26, 2014
I'll rent this one...maybe :)
August 25, 2013
The movie for people who likes fashion.
April 8, 2013
Valentino es Valentino!
February 6, 2013
An almost all access pass to Valentino from June 2005 to July 2007. The filmakers have taken advantage of Valentino's outlandish personality to create an engaging and interesting documentary, even for people who are not fans of fashion, there is something in here for them.
August 12, 2012
Seamstresses sew and Valentino talks and sketches, then sketches and talks...
August 5, 2012
This film had me in tears.
½ May 26, 2012
He certainly designed some beautiful clothes & went out with a bang.
½ March 21, 2012
interesting documentary
½ November 26, 2011
bello! turns out valentino is super cute. the business highlights of the film fell a bit flat but the clothes were great and the depth over 45 years that he's shared with his partner is touching and felt through the screen.
November 13, 2011
Providing an alternative to the documentary The September Issue -- although the only thing they have in commom are some long montage sequences of clothing and models parading around. I was a fan of both films; but I think I ended up preferring Valentino simply because it made the man more accessible than September made Anna Wintour accessible. I would also prefer a live runway show as opposed to a model shoot and since Valentino has more of the former (September the latter) I will give it a higher grade. Valentino is more of a tribute to the iconic fashion designer and it shows how he has kept his point of view and integrity in a world of sell-outs. I think half of the movie could be looked at as a tragedy because the stylistic viewpoint of an artist is cast aside a lot of time in this world to become marketable on the world stage. Valentino, himself, hasn't compromised in anything he has done. He does bemoan the fact that he has given over creative control of Valentino to a new set of people; but he has retired and has to accept that the world of fashion is forever changing. The viewer is treated to some spectacular eye candy in this film and we are left in awe wishing we'd have been able to attend the finale gala in person (the camera actually probably doesn't begin to do the man's genius justice). We get so see the creative side of this Last Emperor and his personal side -- the filmmakers scored a rare coup here by allowing us to get so intimate with him. We also find out that Valentino would never show a woman's through her gown -- fascinating little bit of information, eh? He found it to be vulgar ... and looking back through his fantastic collections we see that he never did stray from that opinion. I find the female leg to be beautiful and am surprised that he -- one who designs for beauty -- finds this to be different. (It must be my leg fetish). What sets this film above some others is simply the amount we get to see here. Valentino is open and honest with the camera -- when he tires of the camera being in his face he doesn't put on a mask and pretend he is pleased with it. We see him warts and all; but his total honesty with us removes ALL of those warts. I am in awe of Valentino. The end of this film -- and the gala at the museum -- are some of the most beautiful filmed images I have ever come across; but I think clothing is just as beautiful as any piece of art I have seen hanging at the Louvre. This doc made the initial Academy short-list but didn't make the final cut. I had hoped that this one would make it because it shed some light on some mystery and genius. As it is -- it couldn't end up competing with The Cove so perhaps it wasn't destined for Academy gold; but to me, my praise is just as worthy. Anyone interested in fashion -- not the journalistic/editing point of view -- needs to give this movie a watch. You shouldn't be disappointed -- with his talent, this doc had a fitting title since "A god Amongst Men" might have been too upsetting for some.
July 31, 2011
This movie will leave you with a smile on your face. I'd have to say Valentino's partner Giammetti is way cuter than him.
½ July 11, 2011
Great documentary about one of the seminal fashion houses/fashion designers. Valentino seems like a reasonable person, and the dresses he designs (at least in the film) are beautiful. Makes Valentino seem like a person and not just a name.
July 8, 2011
An interesting watch but I was bored by the end.
½ May 21, 2011
great insight. i learnt a lot! :D
May 16, 2011
An outstanding documentary that incidentally sweeps the scope of Valentino's 50 year career while focussing on a final runway show. In small moments you get a strong sense of the prickliness, the humor, and the talent of this man. While there are glimpses of irritating diva behavior, it is also clear how and why he maintained the loyalty and love of the closest people around him, including that of a lovely life long partner.
April 2, 2011
Glittrande ytligt och extremt underhållande om Valentinos sista år som modeskapare.
½ February 18, 2011
I'd never thought I'd see the day where a documentary about a guy who designs dresses for a living would be as fascinating and well done as this turned out to be. The filmmakers smartly choose not to dwell on the fashion so much as the psychology behind Valentino, a man who truly has/had one of the strangest positions of power possible in society and has as a result led a really interesting existence.

Sure, there's a lot of arrogance and flash, and what he does, what the fashion industry does as a whole for that matter, really isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things, but the film is so well crafted and entertaining that such frivolousness is easy to dismiss. Valentino even shows touches of humility from time to time, going so far as to admit at one point the relatively uselessness of his skills outside the art world.

It's hard to pin point exactly why I enjoyed this movie as much as I did. The film never gets too deep into Valentino's life, though not through lack of trying. As a result, we just get edges, glimmers of what must be a truly unique mind. And it works. I just wish there had been more.

Ultimately, it leaves you with more questions than answers, which, for a movie about a fashion designer, is quite the accomplishment, at least for me who has no interest in fashion whatsoever.
January 10, 2011