Valentino: The Last Emperor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Valentino: The Last Emperor Reviews

December 19, 2010
A career well spent. We should all be so fortunate.
½ December 15, 2010
Movie Gem of the week... This is an interesting biographical film.
½ December 6, 2010
Interesting enough but it becomes slow at parts because of the lack of background makes it hard to fully be wowed by him.
November 21, 2010
what a celebration of love between men, fashion and how to deal with a diva. A great career in couture is examined at the end of Valentino's reign as a top designer and he chooses to leave while is at the height of his work. Beautiful verite camera as well as the clothes and models.
November 5, 2010
Pretty sure my favourite part of this movie is Giancarlo constantly being like "Mamma Mia" when Valentino is being a diva.
Oh also when they bedecked one of their pugs with diamonds.
½ November 2, 2010
Valentino's persona and process was engrossing. An extremely talented and focused man, he lived like royalty, apparently, representing the epitome of class and culture. His dresses all hand made, designs hand-drawn, his reputation is untouchable. There's a lot to learn about what drives the life-blood of the fashion industry, and the Last Emperor does not disappoint.
½ September 25, 2010
A mildly interesting doc, but not terribly informative. There seems to be more speculation on whether Valentino will soon retire than any real look into how he works, what inspires him, or how he has influenced fashion. The music selection is atrocious, ranging from opera for the artsy scenes to circus music for the comedy bits. There's more insight into the fashion industry in an episode of Project Runway.
September 15, 2010
Excellent - especially if you are interested in the last art of couture - handmade clothes - such skill such craft - he definitely had a vision of female beauty that translated to beautiful clothes. Also some wonderful insights and moments obeserved with his partner giancarlo.....45 years of life together
½ September 11, 2010
That was really good.
September 8, 2010
I really enjoyed this... it was a great look into what may well be one of our last of true couture houses.
½ August 29, 2010
Rating on subject matter a low score, but the way it was presented I thought was very well done. The story was interesting but I felt disconnected
August 24, 2010
great doc on a subject which hasbeen done & done & done!
August 14, 2010
Amazing, he really understood what women wanted. I loved his ambition, opinion, and designs.
July 31, 2010
i knew nothing about
July 30, 2010
I still can't believe how fascinating this was.
July 27, 2010
"La haute couture, on naît avec. On ne l'apprend pas à l'école" - Giancarlo Giammetti. Ouch ! Un merveilleux documentaire sur un homme d'exception.
½ June 29, 2010
the man is a visionary... but there's still something saddening about the way the fashion industry is so insular and so cushioned from the world around us.
½ June 21, 2010
I highly recommend this film; if you liked "The September Issue", you probably love this. Although not scripted, the editing makes it a much more dynamic and exciting story than the other. Of course, being Valentino helps a lot. It was amazing to be able to get such an intimate look into his life and those of the people around him. Definitely watch this one!
½ June 17, 2010
very informative/entertaining doc about valentino. with info about how he started but mainly focus on him preparing for his 45year aniversary in rome. its about fashion and its future. beauty. about valentino. and about the man behind him. what can i say. it all looks good.
½ June 15, 2010
Reporter:??What do women want???
Valentino: ??They want to be beautiful.??

What a fantastic flick! As cheesy as this may sound, I will admit that I have a new found respect and awe for Valetino. The film focuses on his relationship with his former boyfriend and business partner Giancarlo Giammetti as well as his relationship with Mateo Marzotto of the Marzotto group (largest stakeholders of Valentino SpA). I would have enjoyed a bit more of a historical background to Valentino, his place in the fashion world for example. The viewer is thrust into the preparation of one of Valentino's last fashion shows--one is able to view his design and execution process. The second half (roughly) focuses on the 45th anniversary festivities of Valentino-- a three day decadent festivity in Rome "worthy of an Emperor" which includes a retrospective at the Ara Pacis Museum, black-tie ball at Villa Borghese, and spectacle at the Temple of Venus. Throughout the end one becomes aware of a new purchaser of stakes in Valentino to Peramira LLC, a private equity company and tempers flare. The 45th anniversary emphasizes that Valentino was of his kind of his generation of designers in a field that has become solely business. This end event marks his retirement and the end of his kind. As romantic as this sounds, it's quite a remarkable film. Fashion lovers and enthusiasts will surely enjoy it. And his pugs are adorable!