Vamp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vamp Reviews

½ October 8, 2016
Doesn't hold up to high school memories, but still a fun-ish minor horror comedy.
½ August 7, 2015
Horror comedy about strip club vampires. Keith Harring worked on aspects of the set which is cool. Fun movie with fun characters, especially the Asian rich kid. Nearly half the movie is lit with pink and green lights, which was a bit overwhelming after awhile.
July 4, 2015
Not funny enough to be a comedy, and not scary enough to be a horror. While there have been decent blends of those genres, this movie is not one of them.
½ April 20, 2015
Such a great 80s b horror romp. So campy, so fun.
February 26, 2015
Forgettable. Mildly entertaining, but mostly just corny and not necessarily in the good way.
December 14, 2014
So I guess many of you have heard of the Tarantino/Rodriguez action horror flick 'From Dusk Till Dawn'? Sure you have, well let me introduce you to the movie that I'm pretty sure inspired that whole franchise...inspired copied...however you wanna look at it. So sit back and allow me to introduce how this trashy 80's vampire thriller is easily one of the best horror comedies made, up alongside greats such as 'An American Werewolf in London'.

This story idea now seems pretty dated with the whole idea of having two plot lines. Starting out in one direction and then having a fork in the road (so to speak) that leads down another direction. Admittedly this movie isn't entirely like that as we know its gonna be about vampires, but the general genre here is an old frat house type affair which spirals into a gruesome undead horror flick. Its also interesting to note that the classic Arnie vehicle 'Predator' came out a year after this movie and as we all know that film has a famous familiar two plot line affair. So its entirely possible that this horror kick started the double plot line concept.

The story is, as I said already, exactly the same as the Tarantino/Rodriguez flick there abouts. A duo of college students are wanting to get into their kickass campus fraternity, for this they want a kickass stripper so its off to the seedy side of town to hire one. Of course the lads are out of their depth and soon begin to notice odd things about the stripper club. One thing leads to another as the more reserved of the duo (Makepeace) ends up having to team up with an old flame who works at the club (somehow unaware of its secret) to battle the neck biting horde and try to survive until dawn.

So lets look at the cast, its a little known group by today's standards but back in the day both leads, Rusler and Makepeace, were almost household names. Now I say household names but I mean with teenagers of the time, Rusler was already an 80's cult trash star with 'Weird Science' and 'A Nightmare on Elm Street 2'. Here he plays the cool stylish cocky Fonzie-esque ladies man who basically gets the group in the situation they find themselves through his arrogance. The visage of this guy is the epitome of young brash 80's males in the movies with the curly coiffed mullet hairdo and the obsession with his odd choice of mixed attire (a young Robert Downey Jr. if you will). At the same time Makepeace is also the typical poster boy of the 80's with his college jacket, chequred shirt, curly hair, blue jeans and white sneakers (a young Mel Gibson if you will). The duo are easily the pure personification of the 80's which obviously isn't much of a surprise but looking back its so damn cool.

Alongside the main duo is the rich perverted single and spoilt Duncan played by Gedde Watanabe, the comic relief. Although this character is truly cliched to the hilt with his prepubescent lusting he is undeniably amusing at times. In fact his character is so lovable with his bug eyes at anything in a thong and typical college dialog that you're sad to see him go. Can't not mention the uber cult star Billy Drago now can I, here he plays a gang leader with snow white hair hence his name is...wait for it...Snow. Drago doesn't have a huge part, in fact its a bit of a nondescript part really as it wouldn't make any difference if his character was taken out. But Drago emits such an air of utter coolness that I can fully understand why Wenk would cast him even for a bit part.

'I'm in the mood for love...simply because they're naked'

The shock casting (even for the time) was Grace Jones as the head (ancient Egyptian) vampiress. Although she had starred in a couple big movies prior to this film she was still seen as more of a model/dancer/singer rather than an out and out actress. I do think Wenk cast her as more of an attraction for the audience, a quirky hook or lure to get more bums on seats. Despite that she does do a really good job even though she hardly says a thing, her role is virtually mute accept for grunts, scowls, stares and howling laughter...right up Jones alley then. But in the looks department Jones appears every bit the sultry sexy lethal vampire with that strange red wig of hair and bizarre body jewelry that gives off a very sensual vibe which is kinda hard to explain why its just is.

I simply can't not talk about the musical score in this movie. Wow! does this score really add another level to the film, it really lifts everything. For starters Grace Jones uses a track of her own for the stripper sequence where she is covered in white body paint. This sequence is an iconic moment in the movie not only for Jones extraordinary performance which is both highly erotic and mesmerizing, but the musical score which plays at the same time is truly unique and also hypnotically beautiful.

Back in the day I remember this movie being a bit of video nasty or simply a naughty adult movie merely down to the fact there is plenty of stripper ass on show. The girls walk around in bondage gear and thongs bearing all which is...I guess realistic, obviously sexy and yet it also adds to the general unease in the atmosphere (kinda). Of course the other iconic moment (yes there is actually two) is when Grace Jones seduces and attacks Rusler in her dingy room which had all us kids wetting our pants with excitement, fear and simple intrigue (those that were lucky enough to see the movie behind our parents back). I think this scene is easily one of the most erotic sequences in modern cinema, even when Jones vampiress finally drains Rusler out its still very erotic.

The scene also displayed some of the well created hands-on makeup effects and prosthetics. By today's standards of course its nothing special as we've all seen this type of thing a billion times before now. But back in the day it was quite terrifying to see Grace Jones change from this sexy metal spiral bra clad stripper to a hideous bald monster with these huge fangs and teeth (not to mention her long ugly finger and toe nails). The other female vamps are all made up in similar fashion and they are all quite horrific looking with their glaring contact lenses and mutated faces. So yes despite the fact all the vampires are clad in tight thongs with firm bodies you don't really want one transforming and sucking on your throat...or maybe you do, I had to think hard.

Wenk and his crew really do a great job in making the stripper club look incredibly grimy, dark, dirty and utterly unwholesome overall (seedy is the best word but I can't keep using it). What is really impressive is a lot of this is purely down to the excellent use of lighting. You can see the set wasn't huge and neither was the budget but they manage to make the club look bigger and better than it clearly was, strategic shadows everywhere. At the same time the world outside the club is also brilliantly realised again through the use of obscure lighting (mainly using greens and pinks), and the cliched stereotypical visuals you'd expect like dark alleys, trashcans everywhere, rundown stores, rubbish blowing around, graffiti, bums hanging around etc...I know the lighting colour palette sounds really peculiar but it does work wonders giving this dead end part of town a really sinister ambience. Add to this some wonderful camera work with low angles, Dutch angles, off kilter angles etc...every trick in the book to give this little world a freakish unearthly appearance.

Admittedly the finale does get a bit overblown if you can even say that. The movie does slightly turn from a comedy horror into more of a comedy action horror as Makepeace and Pfeiffer (Michelle's unknown sister) run around shooting vamps with arrows. But again I can't deny the final moment for Jones vampiress is a classic moment of good old fashioned traditional practical effects. The movie offers everything an 80's horror fan could ever want, its jam packed with all the conventional tricks of the trade and visual moments that we have all come to expect from the vampire genre. The blend of utter cheesiness, adult humour, gallows humour, blood, gore and lots of tits n ass all combine to give you a rip-roaring adventure through the underbelly of this vampire world. People say that 'Fright Night' 'An American Werewolf' and 'The Lost Boys' are the best 80's horror flicks...and they are very good yes, but for me Richard Wenk's sordid sleazy tawdry vampire thriller is by far the best 80's trashfest to come along.
½ October 11, 2014
Its like AFTER HOURS but with a vampire plot to it.
½ June 1, 2014
This 1986 horror movie is a classic! "Dusk Till Dawn" was a remake from this movie when it comes to vampire strippers. I love my girl Grace Jones. First time that I saw her in a horror movie. She was great and very scary has head vampire. Robert Rusler is another favorite actor. He is known in "Nightmare On Elm Street" and "Weird Science"! I like Billy Drago too. His roles is always a bad guy. Only one movie that I remember him playing a good guy which was the movie Tremors 3. Good job by director Richard Wenk!
½ April 13, 2014
80s comedy horror about two pledges who are sent to procure a stripper for their new frathouse. Unfortunately they decide to get one from the After Dark club which is populated by vampires. Hilarities ensue.
No doubt an inspiration to From Dusk til Dawn, this holds a touch of independent video store nostalgia for me, but it is so dated and not so funny. Worthy of a remake, not a revisit.
½ February 1, 2014
I enjoyed this comedy-horror flick. It's definitely more funny than scary - so those looking for an edge of your seat movie will be disappointed.
I did buy this DVD if that matters.
September 2, 2013
Grace Jones is a marvellous character and unique singer but it has to be said she has a pretty undistinguished movie career. For me, Vamp is probably one of her her best performances, without doubt aided by the fact that she doesn't say a word during the whole movie. She plays an ancient vampire princess, Katrina, in this 1980s college fraternity/horror comedy. Typical of this genre and age, it is slightly titillating as Grace and her hoard of vampires snare their victims by being performers in a seedy, downtown strip joint. Two college kids stumble into the venue in the search for performers to appear at a Frat House party and one of them ends up falling victim to Grace's charms. As comedies goes, it is fairly lightweight but I have to confess, there are still lines and sequences that make me giggle and the movie for me does still retain a kind of period charm that makes it still worth viewing. It's a teenage movie from a more innocent age with no big message or point to prove. Vamp does what it says on the tin. It is an unpretentious piece of hokum and is a charming piece of cliche riddled fun. There are better comedies, there are better horrors but it is what it is and I think it is great fun. And it has Grace Jones in a bra made out of an old bed spring. Not many movies can claim that particular accolade.
½ July 11, 2013
I never thought I'd ever call Grace Jones sexy but in this movie she is. It's bizarre because she's dressed like Ronald McDonald in most of her scenes and during the lone sex scene she reveals toenails that would shame a hobo, and her face looks like a rabid dog when she strikes. And, yet, there's something really appealing about her as a vampire. The rest of the movie is tongue in cheek fun.
½ July 2, 2013
They play, they bite--Good 80's fun!!
May 10, 2013
grace at her best...even without speaking. I was terrified of this movie as a kid
May 3, 2013
½ April 19, 2013
If you're looking for a super serious 80s vampire movie....look elsewhere. If you want a really fun, off the wall, sexy,funny.cheesy amazingly awsome 80s vampire movie then this is it!!!!! Billy Drago and Grace Jones are two of the creepiest looking people ever, and they both do a great job in this. Grace jones is also my new favorite sexy female vampire. She can pull off the creepy sexy look, then pull off the gruesome vampire graphic carnage at the same time with amazing results. The plot almost feels like an 80s college comedy with Chris Makepeace and Robert Rusler along with Gedde Watanabe (Coming off sixteen candles) as three guys looking for a stripper to get into a frat house. When they get to the skeavy, bad part of town strip club to find one they notice things just don't seem right but they can't figure out what.
The rest is just pure 80s horror cheese at its finest. This would be an example of a great semi goofy vampire movie that knows how to use the T&A but still deliver on the horror. There's some light comedy that doesn't go overboard but balances out the scary parts. I'd say if you've seen every vampire movie out there but for some reason have always passed this by yourself a favor and grab your girlfriend/boyfriend or yourself and make a night out of it with a big bowl of popcorn. You just can't go wrong with this one on a friday night if you're looking for some cheap 80s horror done right.
March 23, 2013
Best cheesie vampire movie ever.
February 20, 2013
j'aimerais te voir parce que j'en sai une avec moi
½ February 4, 2013
pleasantly surprised by this film, despite its ridiculous story. Entertaining old school 80's vampire movie, and overall just dumb fun.
December 27, 2012