Vampire Reviews

• Feb 05, 2015

Kudos to the director for trying to tell an "art house" vampire flick. Soft and tender at times, the pacing both helped and hurt. An interesting beginning gave way to wandering and the film didn't find its way again until too late for most. Surprisingly solid performance from Zegers.

• Dec 15, 2013

First off this is NOT a typical vampire movie, but a strangely hypnotic film regardless. It is a beautifully shot Canadian film, created by a Japanese director and American and Canadian cast. It is also based on some true events in Japan. It is more of an uncomfortable commentary on human blood-thirst and a controversial look at suicidal obsession and isolation from depression.

• Aug 27, 2013

Missed it at HKIFF years back, have been looking for it for years, & finally. Shunji Iwai's own aesthetic interpretation in Western Cinema. Not as delicate as his work for local Japan market, yet much better than expected upfront already.

• Jun 15, 2013

This VAMPIRE thing is a total bore. A meaningless indie about suicide, blood freaks. Dialogues are obnoxiously luckluster.

• Apr 26, 2013

Shunji Iwai was clearly trying to do something different with his take on the vampire and serial killer genres, but the movie really doesn't work, coming off more like a pretentious bore than anything scary or sinister.

• Apr 20, 2013

I waited for this movie for quite some time and was thankfully very pleased with it. When it said in the description that it was like no other vampire film, that really caught my attention. Once I started to watch it, I knew just how accurate the description was and that this was most definitely the movie for me. Simon was this perfect broken character. You almost wanted to root for him even though you know that his blood letting of these young women is more murder than it is assisted suicide. The use of the suicide chatrooms/message boards to find his "dream girl" was the most interesting part to me because you have yet to see someone (a killer of any sort) hunting for victims online and see it done so well. I have never wanted to slap Rachel Leigh Cook so much in my life. How she invades his life, its almost frightening. I think she was more the vampire than he was. The ending was rather interesting to me and really was a bit wow as well, so perfect. The mark of a good movie to me is not only if I want to watch it again but also if I want to go out and purchase the film. "Vampire" is most definitely one of those that I would love to add to my collection.