Vanilla Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vanilla Sky Reviews

August 9, 2015
I love this movie! Original plot...Keeps you guessing! Def in my top 10!
August 9, 2015
hopeless, just hopeless, how could they fuck it up with better cast and bigger budget?
August 8, 2015
An unnecessary remake, though the chemistry is good between Cruz and Cruise. Carmen Diaz and Kurt Russell do interesting things with their roles. Cruise is not allowed to become truly disfigured, and is at his best when he's running down the hallways or jumping off a tall building. Give me Eduardo Noriega any day.
August 5, 2015
You must watch this twice, or more, to fully appreciate how great it is.
August 5, 2015
thought might be good, told was bad, watched, was good.
August 4, 2015
movie for psyc majors
August 2, 2015
Interesting but daft concept. Hard to feel much warmth for any character except Cruz but quite a well made, fairly coherent and entertaining film with a very decent cast.
July 20, 2015
Vanilla Sky is what happens when a great director wins an award, gets surrounded by Yes men, and gets the opportunity to have full reign of his dream project. This has vanity project written all over it. It's just gobbledygook. I understand why people hate this movie. Cameron Crowe really didn't care if this movie polarized his audience, and it astoundingly did so. But, the people that liked it, to my estimation, either looked into it too deeply, understood it's intentions or just laughed at how utterly incomprehensible it was. I gave it a chance, and I was oddly entertained by it. At times I couldn't believe what I was watching, but I had to keep going. I feel aggravated, but accomplished for having watched it. Cameron Crowe has unfortunately never made a decent movie again after this. You can see that it's his tipping point. Pretension and sticky saccharine gloop practically are pouring out of the seams, about to burst. I'd like to get a Life Extension, and dream that Cameron Crowe still makes good movies like Almost Famous.
July 13, 2015
An interesting idea with mediocre execution.
½ June 26, 2015
Over the years I've grown to truly appreciate this movie. Its, in my humble opinion and underrated masterpiece.
½ June 25, 2015
Has it's moments of intrigue, but ultimately fails to trigger real interest.
June 8, 2015
42% is ridiculous for this film. It's a wonderful ride with a lot of pretty detail. The original, despite what critics say, was not better.
½ June 6, 2015
Sure, it trips over itself towards the end. But it's got some great revelations to present and in a not so standard way.
½ June 3, 2015
Confusingly wooden remake that you either forgive certain things in this movie or you don't...I didn't.
½ June 1, 2015
A beautiful mess of a film, Vanilla Sky warrants a second viewing for true emotional satisfaction.
June 1, 2015
I really liked it! It is an ambitious film and probably the most polarizing work in Cameron Crowe's wonderful career. The confusing narrative makes this a challenging yet rewarding viewing experience and, as director, Cameron Crowe did a fantastic job putting everything together. At least to me, this film felt seamless; it's part romance, part sci-fi, and part fantasy and it works so well thanks to Crowe's strong direction, solid performances (Cruise gives one of his best performances of his career as a narcissistic tycoon who learns about himself), and the wonderful soundtrack. Vanilla Sky gives an exhilarating movie experience. Let the movie guide you and, remember, keep your eyes open.
May 31, 2015
It is an uneven film to be sure, but vanilla sky unfolds into something beautiful. Tom cruise is better than ever, and he is supported nicely by a good cast and crew. Cameron Crowe's vision was much more intense, elaborate, and in depth than I would have guessed. The film also has a few nice messages, and we cannot live life full of regrets due to the chances we "could have" had.
May 29, 2015
I love this movie. One of my all time favs. Tom Cruise's best movie. Truely beautiful. I don't why people don't like it.
½ May 21, 2015
I've seen this on several lists of bad movies. That's totally unfair. Yes, it's not as classy as the original Spanish version but this is still a good story and the cast is quite good, even Tom Cruise is perfectly cast in a role where you see him suffer. Add to that the excellent Penelope Cruz and possibly Cameron Diaz's best performance and, I ask ya, how that that be such a bad film.
May 9, 2015
Crowe is adept at the helm but that's expected. Vanilla Sky finds him in deeper, gorgeously surrealistic swirls of sub-conscious featuring Cruise and Cruz in centre stage, for the majority just making puppy eyes at each other and talking in grossly seductive riddles. Cruise's protagonist David Ames whines constantly about sub-terranean anonymity and narcissistic oblivity and his character is deeply unlikeable but that's intended, so its not as bad but it makes his "retribution" harder to digest. Crowe seems committed to doing what he wants to do but he's remaking a film that doesn't need to be remade. Abre Los Ojos ("Open Your Eyes") also featured Penelope Cruz and alot of the shots, expressions and even the costumes are identical which leaves the question, what was the actual point? What was the point of remaking Abre Los Ojos when you brought nothing new to an already over-crowded table.