Vanity Fair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vanity Fair Reviews

April 14, 2013
Got bored and found this on Itunes. I'd recommend this movie to anyone looking for a good original story.
April 9, 2013
What's wrong with this movie can be summed up by the scene after the Battle of Waterloo. It's beautifully photographed, vivid, full of extras and you don't believe for a second that these artfully posed corpses are really dead. The parts of Vanity Fair are far greater than the whole.

As a whole the characters are unlikeable and stupid in their inability to see what's obvious to the viewer. Jonathan Rhys Meyers smirks and is sullen. Rhys Ifans character, dull, but with a heart of gold, keeps the hairdresser busy as he changes styles constantly. The only character you like is Rawdon Crawley, but his failure to kowtow to his rich relatives dooms him and he dies offscreen. Witherspoon is two hours of plucky, it gets old very quickly.

Don't waste your time, spend it in rereading Thackeray's masterpiece.
March 31, 2013
great movie. great cast.
March 3, 2013
The female "Barry Lyndon!"
February 26, 2013
It was okay enough. It is a drama. Normally I like historical dramas, I think because they are like documentaries with larger budgets and more flair. This is now that, just straight up drama.
February 5, 2013
Would have watched if they didn't cut Robert Pattinson out of it. I've seen the scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor,....too bad. He would have spiced this up from what the other reviewers are saying.
January 23, 2013
Visually beautiful, and I love Reese, but she was all wrong for Becky Sharp.
January 22, 2013
I watched this entire movie and I don't know what it was about. There are so many characters and I don't remember what any of them did. Why is she named Becky? That question haunted me the whole movie long. Her trunk that begins with her could have been a nice through-line, but what. Actually, someone tell me, what? What did her son look like? I am also wondering this. Doesn't the guy who plays Rawdon look like Hugh Jackman? Why didn't they just get Hugh Jackman. Here is what I learned from the movie: you can start as a whore and try not to be a whore but you'll be a whore, maybe in India.
January 6, 2013
Just Netflix'd this costume drama starring Reese Witherspoon. It was long, at times confusing, and considering the span of time no one aged a bit. One of those little finds on Netflix streaming that you realize it's streaming because it's pretty fair...and all the boys had the faux mohawk thing going on too. But the film was made more than 8 years ago and the hardest thing to swallow is that it seemed like only yesterday.
½ December 22, 2012
Not a bad movie. I like the storyline I just felt the entire movie was too long.
½ December 15, 2012
This is the classic movie for the girl who wants to write her destiny.
December 10, 2012
Disappointing... weak and uninteresting.
½ December 7, 2012
This i felt was a very clever movie with flair and colour. A classic novel becomes a classic movie with delectable reese witherspoon in the lead role. Magical film with funny bits and a loving core at its sweet centre.
November 30, 2012
I'm very disappointed in this movie, more the story. However, it may be the movies inability to portray Rebecca Sharp in the evil way she should've been portrayed. The reason I say this is because I'm mad that Rebecca and Rowden broke up. I liked Rowden, well more particularly, I liked James Purefoy. (I wish he was in more movies.) The movie didn't really make it seem like Rebecca deserved to be left like she was, so I was upset.
½ November 10, 2012
I really liked this one.
November 7, 2012
visually spectacular, but the movie misses much of the themes of the book, leaving the actors only a flat script to play off of
November 5, 2012
Likebble, fantastic costumes and set design, but nothing spectacular
½ October 24, 2012
I have loved this movie since it came out, I think it's a wonderful adaptation of Thackeray's work. I happened to catch this on tv last night, the first time I'd seen it in a couple of years and it still wows me. Today I found the alternate ending, which really kind of changes the movie a bit.. it definitely redeems Becky's character some. I had wondered why Robert Pattison was listed as a cast member in the credits well that's why, he played her son as an adult in the cut scene. If you're a fan of the movie, check out the alt ending on youtube. If you haven't seen the movie, and you enjoy period pieces like I do, then give it a watch.
½ October 22, 2012
I don't mind a British period piece once in a while but this cheeky upper class snobfest is about as riveting as equestrian dressage...Reese Witherspoon is the only light in all the gloom.
October 17, 2012
vanity fair has it's casting,but is down.