Vatel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vatel Reviews

October 30, 2015
Not much to it until tragedy strikes. Some beautiful set work as Vatel arranges to please the King with a lavish celebration, but nothing memorable.
August 15, 2015
A random find on Netflix. It's historical, has some good actors in there, the Sun King's reign, and I was bored. It seemed like a good mix. But alas....'tis not amazing and profound like many reviews had promised.

Was it something that entertained me? Sure! Was I overly impressed? No.
The acting was decent, besides for the lovely Uma Thurman. Please, please stick with action flicks. Dramas are not your strong suit my dear. It really isn't. It's like Brad Pitt attempting comedy. Please stay away from my dramas and my historical films. I BEG YOUUUUUUU!

The romance between Vatel and Anne was awkward as all Hell. I love the guy who played Vatel and he did a wonderful job. But ugh...maybe if Anne was played by someone NOT Uma Thurman. Was the romance even real? If not then please don't add it. NOT every movie needs a romance. I would have been fine with Vatel's story. If it was a real thing...wow...a SUPER impossible love. I must research this......

The shining glory of this film was the fact that it was told in Vatel's POV. He is one of the best in Europe and everyone, including the King, wants to hire him. However, Vatel is loyal and dedicated to the Duke. It was lovely to see what it takes to enchante the court of France during the Sun King's reign. It was hard to please that fellow as everyone knows. It was rough and tough, but the results that Vatel and his crew made was beautiful!

NOT THE BIRDS! GAH! I cried during this scene. I cannot say what happens, but I was NOT pleased. Anne is NOT WORTH IT VATELLLLLLLLLLLLL! *sobs*

The ending was good, but it done very cheesy. A wonderful actor, but the scene was done cheesy.

In the end, this was okay. My expectations MAY have been to high and it let me down. Plently of good actors (except for one who needs to stay with action films), and an interesting story line, a great time period for a drama. The romance was awkward. The ending was cheesyily done. I was bummed. It was entertaining and I LOVED it was set in Vatel's POV, but it let me down on a whole. In the end...I shall stamp this with 2 stars.

Re-watch?: No
March 4, 2015
Vatel is a disappointing film. It is about a penniless prince who invites Louis XIV to three days of festivities at a chateau in Chantilly in 1671. Gerard Depardieu and Uma Thurman give horrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Roland Joffe did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ December 17, 2014
Beautiful but rather slow.
½ November 14, 2014
What does a good person do when his talent takes him all the way to the top?
½ November 13, 2014
January 15, 2014
A very beautiful period drama with an amazing cast & an excellent story. Good film.
August 12, 2013
Gorgeous music and fantastic costumes can't make up for the fact that the movie is generally uninteresting.
March 8, 2013
i just loved gerard depardieu in this one
November 9, 2012
The story is weak, but it is worth watching just for the spectacles that truly leave you in awe! Why don't we have any more like that? Technology killed the masterful technique.
½ September 11, 2012
I have always liked this movie for the spectacle. And although not a masterpiece, I have a soft spot for this movie.
½ March 29, 2012
Hom-hum period piece. I was hoping for more from the cast but alas, it was not meant to be. The slow, annoying score only contributed to the picture's dreary feel.
½ November 25, 2010
Die Kostüme und das Setting sind wirklich sehenswert, aber so ziemlich alles andere kann man vergessen. Die Story (Louis XIV kommt zu Besuch und muss mit spärlichen Mitteln beköstigt und bespaßt werden) ist eher lahm und Uma Thurman und Gerard Depardieu als Liebespaar... öhm... ja, okay...
Tim Roth hingegen ist - trotz Perücke - wieder mal ganz toll - seine Szenen hätte mir tatsächlich gereicht.
November 19, 2010
Maybe Vatel lacks drama and a hotter romance between the lead characters, but the movie is so wonderfully opulent that becomes hard to forget. I really had a great time watching the amazing things this man had to organize and coordinate to please his extravagant king. Depardieu and Thurman are terrific but Roth is kind of wasted as the villain, I thought he was going to be even more threatening here and he wasn't, he got lost in the mix.
½ November 12, 2010
Often visually stunning, but rather boring in plot.
October 16, 2010
Great movie, visually stunning.
October 1, 2010
Une realisation convenue et academique sur un theme neanmoins passionnant : la reception fastueuse de Louis XIV par Conde a Chantilly. L'enjeu est politique (la rehabilitation de Conde - ex-frondeur - est en jeu), les festivites prennent des allures de champ de bataille, avec des brigades de cuistots, de decorateurs, d'artificiers, de musiciens, de danseurs... le maitre d'hotel, Vatel (Depardieu), se comporte en general, observant les rejouissances a distance, a la longue vue, gerant les imprevus, les coups tordus des courtisans, les problemes d'approvisionnement... et comme dans toute guerre, il y a des morts. Un tres beau travail a ete effectue sur les decors et les costumes pour restituer la demesure de cette reception, ou les "petits" se sacrifient pour le bon plaisir des "puissants". Dommage que les scenaristes aient cru bon d'ajouter a cette histoire deja dementielle une love story improbable et surfaite entre Vatel et une favorite du roi (Uma Thurman). Ca n'apporte absolument rien, si ce n'est surligner davantage les inegalites de classes, ce qui n'etait pas vraiment necessaire, l'histoire de base se suffisant a elle-meme.
September 27, 2010
Classic Gerard Depardieu w/ all his charm!