Vatel Reviews

• Oct 30, 2015

Not much to it until tragedy strikes. Some beautiful set work as Vatel arranges to please the King with a lavish celebration, but nothing memorable.

• Aug 15, 2015

A random find on Netflix. It's historical, has some good actors in there, the Sun King's reign, and I was bored. It seemed like a good mix. But alas....'tis not amazing and profound like many reviews had promised. Was it something that entertained me? Sure! Was I overly impressed? No. The acting was decent, besides for the lovely Uma Thurman. Please, please stick with action flicks. Dramas are not your strong suit my dear. It really isn't. It's like Brad Pitt attempting comedy. Please stay away from my dramas and my historical films. I BEG YOUUUUUUU! The romance between Vatel and Anne was awkward as all Hell. I love the guy who played Vatel and he did a wonderful job. But ugh...maybe if Anne was played by someone NOT Uma Thurman. Was the romance even real? If not then please don't add it. NOT every movie needs a romance. I would have been fine with Vatel's story. If it was a real thing...wow...a SUPER impossible love. I must research this...... The shining glory of this film was the fact that it was told in Vatel's POV. He is one of the best in Europe and everyone, including the King, wants to hire him. However, Vatel is loyal and dedicated to the Duke. It was lovely to see what it takes to enchante the court of France during the Sun King's reign. It was hard to please that fellow as everyone knows. It was rough and tough, but the results that Vatel and his crew made was beautiful! NOT THE BIRDS! GAH! I cried during this scene. I cannot say what happens, but I was NOT pleased. Anne is NOT WORTH IT VATELLLLLLLLLLLLL! *sobs* The ending was good, but it done very cheesy. A wonderful actor, but the scene was done cheesy. In the end, this was okay. My expectations MAY have been to high and it let me down. Plently of good actors (except for one who needs to stay with action films), and an interesting story line, a great time period for a drama. The romance was awkward. The ending was cheesyily done. I was bummed. It was entertaining and I LOVED it was set in Vatel's POV, but it let me down on a whole. In the end...I shall stamp this with 2 stars. Re-watch?: No

• Mar 04, 2015

Vatel is a disappointing film. It is about a penniless prince who invites Louis XIV to three days of festivities at a chateau in Chantilly in 1671. Gerard Depardieu and Uma Thurman give horrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Roland Joffe did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.

• Dec 11, 2014

Beautiful but rather slow.

Beautiful but rather slow.

• Nov 14, 2014

What does a good person do when his talent takes him all the way to the top?

What does a good person do when his talent takes him all the way to the top?

• Nov 13, 2014

• Jan 15, 2014

A very beautiful period drama with an amazing cast & an excellent story. Good film.

• Aug 12, 2013

Gorgeous music and fantastic costumes can't make up for the fact that the movie is generally uninteresting.

• Mar 08, 2013

i just loved gerard depardieu in this one

i just loved gerard depardieu in this one

• Nov 09, 2012

The story is weak, but it is worth watching just for the spectacles that truly leave you in awe! Why don't we have any more like that? Technology killed the masterful technique.