Vegas Vacation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vegas Vacation Reviews

August 6, 2016
I love this movie; I appear to be in the minority with my opinion, which is what motivated me to make an account and post. I watch Vegas Vacation and Christmas Vacation at least once a year, and the original Vacation and Euro vacation about once every 2 years. These will always be classic movies for me and my family. I used to watch Christmas Vacation as a kid, and now i put like 50,000 christmas lights up with my son and we have a blast. Vegas Vacation is a movie that makes me think of Las Vegas with a fond, nostalgic feeling. I judge movies on how they make me feel; I put the Vacation movies near the top of my list for making me feel happy and laugh. Comedies are my favorite, and in my opinion, this is one of the highly underrated comedy masterpieces.
July 28, 2016
While the film could have used more raunchy humor like earlier films, its still a very enjoyable addition to the series, and a decent final chapter to the story. And no, I don't consider Vacation with Helms and Applegate to be part of the story. That film is a far worse attempt to rely on nostalgia than Ghostbusters or TMNT.
½ June 24, 2016
,,,¢,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦,,¢,,,¦¢,¦â¦...
June 18, 2016
GARBAGE! THIS MOVIE WAS SO BAD
½ June 13, 2016
Pretty crappy movie. I gave this a lower rating than Encino Man and that's saying something.
March 6, 2016
This movie is fun. If you don't think it's fun, you're probably not fun.
February 16, 2016
"Personally I Thought This One Was One Of The Better Ones Of The Bunch"

***

As Far As The Vacation Films Go, You Will Either Like This One Or You Won't. Personally I Thought This One Was One Of The Better Ones Of The Bunch, Though I Was Never Big Fan Of The First One & Not A Fan At All Of The European Vacation Film -- The Christmas Vacation Film To Me Was A C + At Best.

Chevy Chase Was On His Way Down When This Film Hit The Scene & As The Reviews Show It Didn't Help To Boost Him Up Again. Some Think That This Film Was A Great Waste Of His Talent But To Me I Don't Think That Much More Can Be Expect From A Film Like This One.

All & All This Film Will Have A Few Laughs In It & Some Not So Funny Moments In It -- That Were Hoped To Be Funny I'm Sure But To Many Viewers They Just Didn't Deliverer.

For A Comedy Franchise Like This One, I Give This Film A C + (Common) ***
December 24, 2015
Still fun enough for a visit.
December 21, 2015
While not as good as the previous installments, this more family-friendly sequel is still very funny.
December 8, 2015
Is Vegas Vacation in the same "classic" category as Vacation and Christmas Vacation ? No. But nonetheless it is still a funny and overall solid addition to the franchise in my opinion. Especially looking back now that they remade the original Vacation with the always unfunny Ed Helms, this movie looks like a pure gem. What I got with this movie was a somewhat predictable and silly movie, yet still funny. I am not expecting Vegas Vacation to be a trump all classic comedy hit, but something to make me laugh when it happens to be on. After a few repeated viewings over the years in my eyes it still stands the test of time and gives me a good laugh when I watch it.
September 30, 2015
A comedy that mixes family and dumb-teen humor with the charisma of a young Chevy Chase.
½ September 28, 2015
By far the worst in the series
½ September 15, 2015
If you are a Griswold fan then watch this you'll still love it. If you're not then don't try it. You won't like it. It doesn't quite live up to its title but still fun.
½ August 25, 2015
This is the fourth in a series of movies that began with National Lampoon's Vacation in 1983 and feature the family headed by Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) going on wacky vacations. This time, the Griswolds visit Las Vegas. Clark immediately goes to the blackjack table and starts blowing all his money, continually encouraged to spend more and more by a taunting dealer, Marty (Wallace Shawn). Ellen Griswold (Beverly D'Angelo) becomes smitten with the lounge singer Wayne Newton (playing himself), who invites her to sing onstage with him. Their son Rusty (Ethan Embry) is incredibly lucky playing dice, and he is virtually adopted by a family of gangsters who see him as their meal ticket. Daughter Audrey (Marisol Nichols) gets hooked up with her wild cousin Vickie (Shae D'Lyn), who takes her to sleazy dance clubs. White-trash cousin Eddie (Randy Quaid), who lives on a former A-bomb test site in the nearby desert, also gets involved with the capers.
½ August 13, 2015
It's tough to have a Vacation film without that John Hughes flair. But screenwriter, Elisa Bell, has the right idea comedically and stays fairly true to the vibe of the first three films. The only issue with Vegas Vacation is that there's no bigger picture within the plot. Or the one that's present feels overly contrived.

In this installment, Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) takes his family to Las Vegas for vacation. There, Clark turns into a gambling addict and becomes estranged from his family. His wife (Beverly D'Angelo) and kids get upset at him and decide to go off and have their own pleasures fulfilled.

Honestly, Clark's behavior isn't all that bad from what his family can see, so I don't understand where their bitterness is coming from. They're unaware that he's losing money, and the times that he gets separated from the family usually aren't his fault.

I get the whole "you've become selfish, so become unselfish again" concept, but the conflict feels forced for the mere sake of having conflict. Even Clark's epiphanic moment is sudden and without a believable catalyst. Just as there is no real reason for Clark's family to be mad at him, there is no real reason why they reconcile in the end either.

The best part of this film is its humor. Although over-the-top at times, there's nothing too out of the ordinary for a Vacation film. The most inventive bit is when Clark finds a casino full of made-up games, such as "Rock-Paper-Scissors" or "Pick a Number Between 1 and 10".

Overall, it's not a bad watch. It's at least good for some cheap laughs and some '90s Vegas nostalgia. And I get that the audience may want to see more from the Griswolds, but at least give them something more rewarding to make the trip worth while.

Twizard Rating: 69
August 1, 2015
looking back now it's pretty damn absurd. The laughs aren't really there for the taking, it's just over the top and silliness that the movie offers. I thought Randy Quaid was pretty funny here being the only true comic relief. That being said I loved this movie as a teen so the nostalgia the movie has with me explains my rating. I used to really enjoy this movie as its somewhat of a guilty pleasure film despite its present day absurdity.
July 11, 2015
Great movie that holds the test of time. 4/5
June 30, 2015
While a slight improvement of "European Vacation," the (technically) fourth film in the "Vacation" franchise is extremely poor, while still managing to keep us liking it's characters, which is a rare feat. If the cast had been replaced, this film would have been a whole lot worse. The shenanigans that the characters get into are usually the best parts of these films, and there is no exception with that here. Aside from that very little praise I can give the film, "Vegas Vacation" is not only one big commercial for Vegas, but it also says that not matter where a family goes, they can always have fun if they are together. It is definitely the most family friendly of the road trip films (Christmas Vacation notwithstanding). There is really not much to say about this film. It is a lazily written romp about a family visiting Las Vegas that could have easily been better. With a few enjoyable moments, it makes it a more morable sequel than European, but it is still not a good movie in any way shape or form. The "Vacation" films have always been up and down, and this is definitely one of their downs.
June 30, 2015
I know this gets a wrap as the worst in the series, but I found this marginally better than European Vacation. Whereas that film was weak and annoying, this film is just... weak. The best moments only come out out of Chevy Chase's rare moments of hilarity as an actor, which were wearing off by this time. The problem with the whole film is that stuff happens, but nothing is really funny or matters to the audience. The family splits off and does their own thing in this film, each one taking part in certain fortunes, like Rusty becoming rich from gambling, Audrey becomes a club dancer, and Ellen in a affair with Wayne Newton. Cousin Eddie is back, but he doesn't do a whole lot, more or less annoying at times. I guess the situations are whacky and bizarre, but there's little to no pay off or punchline to them. One scene had Clark take part in a Siegfried & Roy magic show, where Clark disappears from the act, and then reappears casually at the end - nothing was done to accentuate whether this was funny, it just happens and moves onto the next scene. That's the whole movie. Vegas Vacation isn't quite a pain to sit through imo, just rather boring. It has its few and subtle (and I mean SUBTLE) moments of humour and charm, but it is overall a very weak and lame comedy that fails to recreate the charm and fun of Vacation or Christmas Vacation.