The Velveteen Rabbit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Velveteen Rabbit Reviews

½ February 22, 2017
Okay for kids, but compared to the wonderful book, it is very disappointing--couldn't even finish it.
May 22, 2012
When I saw this movie, it had been years since I glanced at the kid's book the Velveteen Rabbit, and compared to my great memory of the book, I found the movie a little disappointing. But the movie is cute - and for the kids everyone lives happily everafter.
thmtsang
½ March 17, 2012
Cute movie with animated characters. Toby is sent by his dad to stay with his strict grandmother. He finds friends in the magic attic when toy come to life in his imagination.
½ November 30, 2011
This felt like something I would have loved when I was younger and something that would have got me to love films. I loved these kinds of movies when I was young and it did somewhat take me back to when I was a kid. I honestly can't see most people at my age enjoying this kind of movie, but I know that it is something kids will enjoy if they are under 8, or otherwise it is a pretty good family film and something that is likely to not be enitrely unwatchable by parents. The film does have heart, and the acting isn't half bad here. I almost stopped watching this part way through due to it's child like humor. However, it did grow on me after a while and it doesn't play out exactly like one may think a film like this might do so. This is one to go out and get for the kids.
Note: this is the wrong poster for this.
October 15, 2011
This movie does have some touching moments, good animation, and a pretty nice lesson. However, speaking as someone who grew up with this story, this version doesn't feel right to me. I don't know why. Something just doesn't feel right to me. I won't say it's a BAD movie, but, for me, it's probably not worth a second watch.
½ July 17, 2011
for kids, this is a great entryway into the pretty heavy story of the "Velveteen Rabbit". It is an inspired story, not to be confused with an actual adaptation of the classic book. Well done!
½ June 28, 2011
Great story but sad.
April 27, 2011
"Everything that is real was imagined first." - Rabbit

"Love is what makes us real, Toby." - Mother

(April 26, 2011)
**Always Remembered**
April 23, 2011
use to love this book as a kid. Landon loved the movie
April 21, 2011
"You were right, Rabbit. Love makes us real."
April 11, 2011
It may be cute, but it's simply just stuff and fluff.
April 11, 2011
Good enough that I would purchase it for my son. I always enjoyed Feature Films for Families movies when I was younger. Good to know they're still making movies.
April 3, 2011
Really sweet, probably the best movie of it's time
March 26, 2011
Darling story, tho a bit sad. The costumes and sets were great history lesson visuals. The grandkids and I loved it, they requested to see it again. Great job to all in it!
March 12, 2011
Sweet with a great message
"Love makes us real"
February 1, 2011
This movie I think had the absolute WORST line in movie history: "Greater love hath no toy than he than laid down his life for a child." I feel so bad for Tom Skerritt who had to say this line with a straight face. I cracked up hysterically and had to pause the movie to get my giggles out.

Despite being SO CORNY at times, this movie was actually quite touching and well-done.
½ January 17, 2011
Cute movie for kids.
½ January 3, 2011
It could have been better, but it was a very cute movie. I like how it show that when we get older we forget about having fun.
½ December 4, 2010
Just watched this film with my wife and my six-year-old daughter, as a Saturday family night movie. I had never read the book, but saw this movie the first time. What a great movie, I highly recommend. By the end of this movie, the whole family was practically in tears. This is a very well done movie.
½ October 10, 2010
Decent family film, based on a classic children's book. The film had to many flaws, but the story is charming and delivers an excellent message.

The acting was weak, the acting resembled an after school special, over acted and without emotion.

The animation was decent, but nothing more than that. It seemed as if they were trying to use computer generated animation for the background, but it just stands out like a sore thumb and is very poorly animated.

Fortunately, the movie's story is priceless and captivating. It sends children's imaginations into a frenzy. Recommended for the younger ones and parents of those young tikes.