Vendetta Reviews

• Apr 05, 2020

Today I opened the vault of trash for a morning of VHS incarceration with the 1986 women in prison flick, Vendetta. "They killed my sister" shouts our buxom badass beauty, Laurie, played by Karen Chase, as she hatches a plot to get arrested and seek revenge on her sibling's killers. Laurie's sister was wrongly sent to prison and on her first day in the slammer makes enemies with head baddie, Kay, played by bit-part mavin Sandy Martin. Kay takes revenge and kills the sister which gives us the plot to the movie. Vendetta is such an 80's cliche you can smell the Aquanet and cheap eye shadow before the action even starts. True to classic women in prison films there is a thinly held together plot that is mostly supported by gratuitous nudity. While Kay is certainly a butch badass she doesn't sell her dominance quite as hard as Wendy O. Williams in Reform School Girls, another great woman in prison flick. Despite strong lesbian overtones, the film goes out of its way to show all the inmates as heterosexual and happy. Yup, even leather-clad Kay has it hard for "10 inches of Italian stallion," sure Kay, sure. Most of the action seems accidental as Laurie almost always feels remorse after each of her revenge kills. I guess this is to remind us that deep down she is a good person and not a crazy woman who gets thrown into prison to go on a murderous rampage. Chase is a fine lead but she lacks the aggregation of contemporaries like Cynthia Rothrock and Mimi Lesseos, but I guess her freshly crimped hair and hastily applied blue eye shadow does give her a quasi-menacing appearance. Will Laurie be able to thwart Kay and her gang of henchwomen? Is there a mall in the prison where the ladies get all the fresh 80's punk-inspired fashions? Watch Vendetta (1986) and find out!

• Oct 27, 2012

A stuntwoman purposely commits a crime so she can investigate and deliver "honourable justice" to the inmates who killed her little sister in prison. Pretty bland WIP film although the air band performance of Prince pleased inmates.

• Jan 13, 2012

Stuntwoman makes way to prison to avenge her sister's death at the hands of ruthless gang of inmates. Arcade section of the women's pen looked better than my hometown's arcade. Contains a surprising tribute to Prince. Girls appearing in standard WIP shower scene are actually credited.

• Apr 19, 2011

• Jun 13, 2008

For an 80s b.s. action flic, about a stuntwoman who's sister is wrongfully imprisoned and murdered, it wasn't half bad. the revenge element is there and the pace, never slows down. i wouldn't recommend it but i dug it alot.