Vengeance Valley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vengeance Valley Reviews

June 2, 2014
Montana is cattle country; therefore, you will see thousands of cattle. Wow! Lancaster is new to horseback riding in this movie, but by the time he makes Vera Cruz he is an expert.
November 29, 2013
Not necessarily a lancaster fan or a western fan, but this was on amc Thanksgiving morning and I was hooked. Felt like i was a fly on the hitching post, privy to cowboy decency & justice.
½ July 30, 2013
So-so western from a Luke Short novel about cowpoke Burt Lancaster and his no-good step-brother, Robert Walker. Burt gives an adequate performance but Robert Walker as his weaselly step-sibling steals the show and makes the film watchable. Nothing brilliant, but the cast make it worth watching for western fans.
½ December 7, 2012
Vengeance Valley has a classical western feel to it supplied by it's costume & setting, dramatic themes, stereotypical action and ideal acting.
It features a good performance from Burt Lancaster in his first western role, proving that he's a good actor for the genre. Vengeance Valley also had some good shootout sequences.
It also ended on a good dramatic note and had the ideal soundtrack to set the atmosphere.

However, it's nothing special to the genre.
It features a plotline thats too simple to even bother following and is paced incredibly slowly.
It doesen't feature much creativity and is rather simplistic, and the fight sequences feature qualities that may have been decent back in 1951, but are laughable by today's standards.
It also failed to supply a sufficient amount of continuous action scenes which are stereotypical in the genre and is fairly disapponting due to that. No doubt Vengeance Valley was low budget.

So in the end, Vengeance Valley presents nothing special to the western genre, but it gives a kickstart to Burt Lancaster who is clearly good for the role.
½ November 28, 2012
Vengeance Valley is an excellent film. It is about a cattle baron who takes in an orphaned boy and raises him, causing his own son to resent the boy. Burt Lancaster and Robert Walker give exceptional performances. The screenplay is well written. Richard Thorpe did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because I like westerns. Vengeance Valley is a must see.
May 23, 2012
western with the ole cain & abel plot
½ September 2, 2011
two brothers become rivals cain & abel style
½ November 2, 2010
Tuesday, November 2, 2010

(1951) Vengeance Valley

Needs major edits for the story sometimes drags about an self-absorbed conceited actual son (Robert Walker) and an adopted son (Burt Lancaster) bickering and arguing over girls and land ownership! That although the film has a good ending, it took way too long to get there with it's meandering! The use of a "Fast- Forward" button is much needed for this film!

2 out of 4
October 24, 2010
A bit slow in parts, but some good dialogue and interesting plot devices. And Lancaster is dreamy as ever.
"When you're loyal to a man, you're loyal to everything about him. Even his faults."
February 5, 2010
Colorful western both in script and visual presentation. Good perfomances with Robert Walker a standout.
February 2, 2010
A film that is not worth watching. Very boring and uninteresting.
½ December 8, 2008
Well done if cliched ridden story about the rivalry between foster brothers starring Burt Lancaster as a ranchers adopted, hard working son who shields the ranchers ner'do well natural son from the consequences of his extended adolescence. Everything in this film ranges from merely adequate, to deceint with the exception of Lancaster and Robert Walker (as the bad son). Will please fans of westerns but hasn't aged too well.
June 10, 2008
I wish I could watch every movie ever made but I sadly don't have the time. I'm not interested in this movie because I don't think I'll like it or don't know enough about it to think I might like it. I may still end up seeing it some day though.
½ May 10, 2008
Burt Lancaster gave a good performance as the outright and perfect adopted son, and Robert Walker too as the not-so good, low hitting real son.
Those too fight over the love of their "father", the love of a woman, and the ranch possession.
½ April 7, 2008
I didn't really like it all that much
January 19, 2008
A decent Western about the rivalry between an elderly cattle rancher's no-good son, and his honourable adopted son (a plot I'm sure I've seen elsewhere).

It's given a little more oomph by the two leads. Burt Lancaster is the almost-too-perfect adopted son Owen Daybright, running the gamut from charming to kickass to conflicted and brooding (and amusingly keeping his broad NY accent right through). Robert Walker, in one of his last roles, is the cheating, lying, double-crossing biological son Lee Strobie - allegedly the role that got him his legendary part in Hitch's "Strangers on a Train", and beginning to show that same captivating menace. Genre standby John Ireland delivers his usual charismatic bad-boy performance, too.

The film's view of its female characters is actually pretty progressive, which is good to see. However, the love story with Joanne Dru doesn't exactly take off, especially as the boys leave for the hills halfway through the film - allowing for some quite beautiful classic Western scenes, including one striking shot of a long string of cattle under the line of a cliff. The showdown at the end, and the resolution after, seems somewhat truncated however. All-in-all, an entertaining if not outstanding Western.
December 23, 2007
This is the film that got Robert Walker his role in Strangers on A Train. It was thought that he couldn't play a villain, but this role proved that he could. That is the only thing this film has going for it.
February 18, 2007
kool as i want 2 see dis. i want 2 see every movie in da wole wide world of course im a movie lover
½ April 27, 2006
Exceptionally boring Western. At least the action sequences have some heart.