Venus Beauty Institute - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Venus Beauty Institute Reviews

July 6, 2015
It's all a bit silly and surprisingly dated, but it offers some fun as well as some insight into a sad woman. Nathalie Baye is really the main reason to watch this film. She plays a woman entering her 40's who has taken on a very grim view of romance. She has meaningless flings, but she views love as a negative. For her character, love can only bring pain. She actually equates the concept of love as a form of slavery. But when an opportunity of real connection comes to her in an unexpected way she is forced to re-think her ideas and expectations regarding love. The really odd thing is this is an ensemble piece, but I was only interested in Baye's character. It bears mentioning that I remember this film so well. I've not seen it a long time. It has stayed with me.
November 25, 2013
Not very bad, just rather slow, lightweight french romantic comedy. Nice french set; story was quite sweet, yet not very clear or convincing. The thing is I watched this film like 10 years ago, and something about it stuck in my memory, so I wanted to rewatch again and.. really it's quite lightweight. It tackles age and love, but for me it lacked some depth. It should be ok for tired evening in a bed (it's not bad, because we also need films for such occasions).
July 3, 2013
I've never heard of it before, but reading the synopsis, it sounds pretty interesting.
January 8, 2012
not my type of movie...but there is something about this French romantic movie i enjoyed...i thought the acting was great...not bad at all...
½ December 28, 2011
I will say,one of the rare forgien language films i watched,where i didnt nessacarly need subtiles to understand whats going on. The stor was good and it doesnt hurt tha Audrey Tautou was half naked in it,but much like other films lately,this one had Tautou plastered on the cover,yet she was barely in it,still a good movie though.
January 22, 2011
This, and not «Le fabuleux destin d'Amà (C)lie Poulain» is the film that placed me under the spell of the lovely Audrey Tautou.
September 12, 2010
French women are ranked number two on my list of most intriguing ... right after those from the Pacific :)
½ July 6, 2010
a good pre-amelie introduction to audrey tatou
March 2, 2010
I really liked this film. Maybe it was because I could relate to this character's bitterness towards love and being surrounded in it by everyone around you. The storyline kept my attention and intrigue. The characters blend well and play off of each other effectively. This is a chick flick worth catching.
January 29, 2010
Movie was pretty OK, but it was the worst quality DVD I've ever bought.
½ December 17, 2009
no es lo que esperaba...quiero decir que el papel no le pega :S además que sale muy poquito!
September 15, 2009
One of Audrey Tautou's first films
April 7, 2009
I heard that this is a film of quirky sensibility, a novel take (which I always like to explore) on the concept of beauty, a quartet of nuanced female performances, and another wonderful examples of le cinema Française.
½ March 19, 2009
Enjoyable film! Loved Sam Le Bihan! The scenes at the spa were really good. I laughed at that exhibitionist who kept walking around naked.
March 8, 2009
sexy and tender. I love French film.
February 25, 2009
Dificil creer que esta pelicula haya sido ganadora de varios Cesar.
February 24, 2009
I can't understand all the prix has get this film. I think it's not interesting...
½ January 30, 2009
This Cesar-winning French film focuses on the lives of various beauticians that work for Venus Beauté. In this world of appearances, all the women are able to strip to their vulnerable sides. A 40-something woman who is compulsive about her sexual life, and falls in love with a engaged stranger who falls in love after seeing her break-up with a guy at the train station. It is also the story of a 20-something woman who is the object of desire of a middle-aged rick widower. Written and directed from the female perspective, the movie intends for the viewer to address some of the major components of female identity by addressing age, looks, frivolity, and appearances. Although the two major male characters are well developed, we do not venture into their psyche but from their interactions with the female roles.

Mitchell, writer and director, presents us with a female world were men come and go; but where women have the opportunity to decide their destiny: by being a successful owner, a single woman in charge of her sexuality, an exhibitionist compulsive tanner, or the naive girl learning about desire.

Natalie Baye is extraordinary in the role of the 40-something woman searching for love. Audrey Tatou, wellknown internationally as Jeunet's quirky Amelie of Le fabuleux destin de Amelie Polain, debuts in an eye-catching supporting role as the naive young girl.
January 28, 2009
The plot summary is incorrect. Nadine is the owner of the salon. Angèle is the main character.

Nice recurring touches: the way Angèle disappears behind the bus, in fact the way buses passing in front of us introduce and remove characters; the chime that announces new customers, the eccentric patrons and the music. I loved the ending, the sex scene in the dark with Angèle and Antoine (the lighting hit just the right places-- hands groping for a banister, the muscles on Antoine's back. I also enjoyed the creepy scene between Marie and the widower -- it was actually my favorite in the movie--the way that redoubling works and little details like what's going on with Antoine's eyes during the scene. the characters are distinct, though I actually hate Angèle at the start. She sort of grows on you so that by the last scene, you are with her. I imagine Barbara Streisand doing the role in an English remake. Not sure about the other characters, though.
½ November 15, 2008
remain quite clueless on a lot of things such as the ending or Antoine's fierce love.I just watched on.