Venus Beauty Institute - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Venus Beauty Institute Reviews

½ November 7, 2008
Really lovely, and very French with the way the dialogue between strangers is so honest, as well as the depiction of women. The French love to be in love--and a whimsical, violently passionate confession from a male stranger to a 40-something love-cynic woman propels the movie into a plot that depicts women characters unconventionally and with more of a sense of freedom from American conformity and propriety, creating a world in which their problems are the norm.
October 23, 2008
Rather boring but okay enough to get through.
September 17, 2008
Samuel Le Bihan got me in this movie. A young obsessive romantic in love with a commitment-phobic older woman. The raw sensuality alone is intoxicating.
September 2, 2008
Another movie using Audrey Tautou as the selling point after her globally renowned [Amelie]. The flick itself is deadly dull, boring; cliche & long. Another desperate middle aged woman whining for her no-man life. *YAWN*
½ July 27, 2008
Un petit peu lent, voire paresseux, mais globalement bien
½ July 18, 2008
There is something about french romantic comedies that I find more rewarding than american rom-coms. Maybe it's that they paint women more honestly and have more quirks to their characters? In any case, I liked this film for its honesty, its flair for dramatics and the idiosyncratic way the performances were given. Will it change your life? Probably not, but it's certainly not the same vapid, mushy, syrupy-sweet junk we are fed in the U.S. Oh yeah, and the sex scenes are much more intense and sensual than the prim and proper american alternatives.
June 3, 2008
I'm not a sappy love mush and shallow intrigue watcher, but this worked. Maybe the French do know something special. Or at least are really good at it. So I'd recommend this to anyone who likes the above.
May 8, 2008
Join Mathilde Seignier (fan club) on facebook !!!
April 18, 2008
An enjoyable, very Parisian film. I had trouble liking a lot of the characters, which kept me from getting more into it. Enjoyable enough, though.
½ April 18, 2008
A love story of sorts. Boy sees girl. Boy falls in love with girl. Girl wants nothing to do with love. I love that foreign love stories don't follow the same primer that American ones do, they feel more real and raw in that way.
April 3, 2008
I love this movie
A woman who does not believe in love then falls in love seems so very typical in movies but not in this one you see a man tell a complete stranger he is in love with her and how she reacts to him
April 1, 2008
A pessimistic and agonizing outlook on love and relationships, but kindof romantic in the end...a strange one but i enjoyed it for what it is.
½ March 27, 2008
A bizarre apologia for stalking, desperately unhappy sex and tanning salons. Not a single character made any sense and the plotting was pitiful. I just wish she had better aim.
March 13, 2008
Rented it cause I LOVE Audrey Tautou and it was such a cute and funny movie :-)
½ March 4, 2008
Biting off my own nipples would suck less than this yeast-fest
½ February 14, 2008
Il parait que ce navet a obtenu 4 cesars....
Qu'est-ce qu'on s'ennuit devant ce film pourtant!!!!
February 7, 2008
I love Nathalie Baye, and she is great in this! Very enjoyable film despite the presence of Audrey Tautou
February 3, 2008
certainly french sense of romance
½ January 26, 2008
Not really sure what the point of this film was, great perfomrmance by tautou despite the fact that, like the guy below said "it seems like every movie she's not starring in, she's drilling whack dudes. fuck that." at least it's been crossed of the list!
puffchunk
½ January 23, 2008
Very very slow and boring. About a slutty old chick who works in a beauty salon, and Audrey Tautou has sex with an old fat guy on a pool table.