Vera Drake - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vera Drake Reviews

February 18, 2013
Vera Drake es un filme poderoso, con un impecable y cautivante actuacion de Imelda Staunton; sufre de un ritmo algo disparejo; pero el hiperrealismo que presente la pelicula compensa todo, cine clasico del mas alto calibre.
½ February 16, 2013
In the years following World War II, the title character nurse (Imelda Staunton), working for an independent agency, is a door-to-door specialist who does abortions for ladies in need. These females are embarrassed, ashamed, and/or too poor to go a doctor and/or tell their families of their predicament so they take this generally risky, volatile route which could jeopardize their health. Unfortunately, one of the girls ends up in the hospital due to a contaminated instrument used in the process and to the mother's belief that she had suffered a miscarriage, but in actual fact, she had an abortion. Vera Drake is than arrested, with her believing she did nothing wrong. Really sad, potent film that tackles a pretty shocking, controversial topic during a period where you never hear about abortion. Really takes a risk and the results come out wonderfully. Staunton's performance is so sad, so good, that you can feel her sadness when she is charged with her unique crimes. Hauntingly good movie!
½ February 16, 2013
??????? ???? ???? ???? ???????? ???? ?? ???????, ???????? ??? ??? ?????? ??????? ??????. ???? ?? ???????? ?? ????? ??? ?????????? ??????? ??? ???? ??? ??? ??????????.
½ January 29, 2013
Mike Leigh is simply one of the greatest humanist directors, which is to say that he so thoroughly expresses and conveys the motivations and the feelings of his characters that we feel inclined to examine them, the result being a closer examination of ourselves. This is because Leigh is so in tune with human nature, customs, mannerisms, and emotions. It's incredible really, and Vera Drake is yet another film where he exposes us to the everyday life of one character whose routine is soon to be turned upside-down.
January 7, 2013
One of my favorie Mike Leigh movies
½ January 7, 2013
A fantasticly well-made and powerful film. I tend to steer away from dramas, but was deeply engaged and moved by this film.
Critique Threatt
½ January 3, 2013
Landmark film. Mike Leigh's Vera Drake is a powerful, sad, controversial film. Imelda Stuanton peformance is so real and effortless. You can either love her, hate her, or empathize. The court room scenes I thought were one of the best. I was really feeling the walls coming down on Stuanton's role. Can't help but feel for her guilt and pain.
December 20, 2012
A quiet film about the always rough subject of abortion. Director Mike Leigh keeps the movie fairly non-graphic (besides a few unsettling abortion depictions), and instead concentrates on a chilling portrayal of it's main character. A bit too long though, especially for a movie this unhappy.
½ December 19, 2012
it was a good film, Imelda Staunton and Phillip Davis played good parts and Adrian Scarborough (Mrs Biggs) played a good part, I thought it was a great movie but I don't want it on DVD
December 7, 2012
Was very contraversial and shocking yet i feel sorry for her poor woman!
½ November 18, 2012
Imelda Staunton is wonderful, and the film provides a good pro-choice argument. Still, I felt the film's restrained tone made it hard for me to connect to
October 19, 2012
Heartbreaking and grim but powerful and well made. Safe and legal, y'all! Safe and legal.
October 17, 2012
A good movie... a bit depressing but a good movie about a woman in Europe whom was a sweet.. nice.. elderly woman who just took care of her family and helped out young woman whom found themselves in trouble.
October 15, 2012
This film is a perfect example of knowing that even good people are capable of doing inexplicable things, and Staunton never ceases to teach us that lesson. The second half of her performance is breath-taking, and is the epiphany of an emotional defeat.
October 14, 2012
Imelda Staunton does a stunning performance of Vera Drake, a woman who helps young women with unwanted pregnancies. The film focuses on her family, her dedication, her cheerfulness in spite of a hard life until it all comes crashing down. Very intense.
October 6, 2012
Powerful and heartbreaking film with a great atmosphere. It's pretty to look at. Plot-wise it reminded me of the fantastic "4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days" but this is a very different film. This got more history, a great transformition and fantastic acting. Most of all I'm fascinated by the incredibly kind lady. Throw hundred of Oscar statuets after the lead, Imelda Staunton, she dominates this film. Hilary Swank did well in "Million Dollar Baby, but I believe Staunton does better. Very good acting all over the line here. Everyone deliver in this slow ride with a steady curve. It can't be consideret entertainment, but it's a very good film.

Interesting theme - even today this is a discussed question. Still there is something missing here, sadly. I don't know what but I guess it will fly out of my head quite soon.Not because it's bad, but there are few "WHOA" scenes if any here. I'm really looking forward to more of Leigh's films, having only seen a couple earlier.
September 6, 2012
Every woman should be forced to watch this movie!! How the hell Hillary Swank (who I love) beat Imelda Staunton (Dolores Unbridge for Potter Fans) for the Oscar is beyond me. An absolutely brilliant performance!!!
½ July 31, 2012
Vera Drake delivers vibrant humanism to the provocative topic of abortion with a penetratingly strong performance by Imelda Staunton.
July 19, 2012