A Very Serious Person - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Very Serious Person Reviews

½ January 25, 2011
A very tame Charles Busch movie, but it does have heart. Busch is fun and Polly Bergen is terrific.
June 30, 2010
I think I now understand why we need good looking people in movies.
December 5, 2009
An extra star for this one. This movie goes underneath the surface to deal with human complexity in an honest and interesting way. We need more movies like this.
November 27, 2009
Just wasn't impressed
March 22, 2009
very touching and somewhat bittersweet film.. i could sympatise with the characters and although the story is somewhat dramatic, it's still feasable. a pity the filmography wasn't very well taken but perhaps that is what added the quaint little charm to it.
February 12, 2009
I liked this film and felt it captured some of the feelings that are not generally dealt-with in films. Actually shows some shades of gray and handles the subject matter in a sensitive way.
½ January 21, 2009
I thought it was pretty sad at times, since it's pretty easy to relate to the grandmother/Gil relationship for me. The whole idea of Jan and Gil's bonding is done pretty good, although Gil is a bit over the top at times. I ended up liking the beauty shop characters more than anyone else in the film.
½ October 27, 2008
this is a very heartwarming movie with a good script.. although its not very well filmed in some parts. I cried and laughed... and i think the boy acting as gil is very talented. and i admire charles busch who plays the male nurse and polly bergen too. great movie to watch.
September 6, 2008
Interesting flick, kinda touching.
August 28, 2008
Charles Busch wrote and directed this comedy drama about a male nurse who arrives to care for a terminally ill woman and forms a warm friendship with her sensitive 13 year old grandson. Poignant film can be overly precious at times, but ultimately benefits from the engaging and sincere performance of P.J. Verhoest, its young star.
July 28, 2008
This movie was slightly boring and annoying, but I nevertheless felt for each character. The eccentric Gil got on my nerves by the fourth time he referenced Gone With the Wind (within the first twenty minutes), and the conveniently-named Jan was a tad over-the-top, but I felt bad for the two of them at the end of the movie. This is a very skippable movie, but if you happen to catch it, there are worse movies to watch.
½ July 26, 2008
This is an offbeat tale of dying, living, self-discovery and hope. The male nurse Jan is played by Charles Busch who also wrote and directed the film. The themes deal with homosexuality in different ways. Not everyone will enjoy this movie. I liked it very much.
July 7, 2008
eh its alright. it was interesting at the least, and the boy-grandma-nurse relationship was well developed and dramatic.
April 28, 2008
We couldn't finish this -- the acting was stilted and awful and the dialogue was artificial. I think that the visiting male nurse Jan is eventually supposed to be like an Auntie Mame character to the little gay boy, but after 30 minutes, we still hadn't seen anything good happen, so we gave up.
½ March 31, 2008
it was a sweet movie. i liked it but i wouldnt watch it again.
½ March 28, 2008
This was a really great movie. Deifinitly worth watching. It's different from my usual though, being a drama. It has it's sad moments and it's akward ones. But it's really good. so yeah.
½ March 18, 2008
Wow. This is a very strange and intriguing film. I'm surprised the rating on this is only PG, given the matter is one most adults are afraid of explaining adolescent children. Love the little red head kid. He's a riot. I recommend this ridiculously creepy/cute movie.
½ February 18, 2008
This was the best gay themed film I have seen. (I haven't
seen many; about 8 in my 69 years). It is a comedy-drama
about a dying grandmother (Polly Bergen) who has a 12 year
old grandson who is effeminate and not ashamed of it. She
has an incompetent nurse at first, who she soon disposes of,
and hires a replacement from the agency. She expects a
woman, but instead, a man shows up who is clearly gay. The
film takes off from there, with the nurse and the boy slowly
developing a rapport. The main theme of the film is coming
to terms with budding gay sexuality. The boy, PJ Verhoest,
gives a great performance, and the film promotes honesty
while letting him discover his preference when he is ready.