Vexille - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vexille Reviews

½ December 21, 2015
Bien hecha, con gran banda sonora, con historia interesante, aunque podría haber sido mucho más entretenida y con más acción
July 16, 2013
Tuesday, July 16, 2013

(2007) Vexille
JAPAN ANIMATION / COMPUTER ANIMATION
SCIENCE-FICTION

Confusing and complicated as heck but still somewhat captivating which contains a little bit of every space movie and animation all rolled up into one. The time is the future and Japan has become much more advanced in terms of technology in general and way ahead of other countries. So they chose to cut themselves away from the rest of the world creating some immoral conflicts and illegal technology methods. If I say anymore then it's going to create even more confusion within the plot and themes. But upon watching this this film has many science fiction movie influences from "Blade Runner", "Star Wars", "Ghost In The Shell", "Akira", "Dune" and Nauseca and perhaps many more. "Vexille" may bore the living heck of many children but to others who're fascinated in technology advancements and regulations possibly could get something from watching this.

2.5 out of 4 stars
December 31, 2012
Amazing animation, story, and soundtrack!
½ December 24, 2012
Titsa decent anime.
½ November 8, 2012
"Saito. Halt."

Iv'e this for a good 2 years without watching it, don't know why i just sort of left it there on my shelf. But today i decided i may as well give it a watch and relatively enjoyable if a bit flat and lifeless in the story and animation at times.

'Vexille' is another animated film to come from Japan that uses CGI. Unlike 'Final Fantasy: Spirits Within' however, its a bit hit and miss. It's been called fantastically animated and styled by some but i just don't see it. The characters look dead inside a glossy doll like expression on their face most of the time. Ok, when things are happening and it's in motion and emotion is displayed it looks good but it doesn't hold it all the way through (which is not possible is it?.)

The plot is the same occasionally interesting but then it plays it out too long and it's replaced by disappointment - and talk about anti-climactic endings. I won't describe all the pre-information describing the plot because you get a fair amount of it thrown at you at the beginning. Basically its about 'Japan' separated from the rest of the world and USA ain't happy with that so they send in a team to investigate what's happening.

That's as basic as i can describe its simple but there are other nuances - like robots, bio metals and somethings called 'Jags'. But there isn't much to it, the focus does change slightly and the original plot disappears completely. The action is fairly well staged so even when the plot isn't there you kept vaguely interested.

Yet another CGI animated anime film to come out of Japan, with mixed results. The animation is a tad odd to look at and the plot is hit and miss. However, the action set-pieces are well staged and the voice acting is pretty good. Those into anime will like it but for everyone else - like it's plot - would be hit and miss.
½ October 11, 2012
Really good cyber-futuristic anime. The story is politically-ethically dense and the animation offers fantastic action scenes. High quality ideas and GITS-like structures makes this move technically enjoyable but not one of the milestones of the genre.
½ October 11, 2012
February 3, 2012
"In the end what keeps us human is our soul" - A Great Sci-FI action movie with stunning visuals and a very nice story attached to it
January 22, 2012
Not bad, but I expected more, also since the score is by Paul Oakenfold. Did like the anticlimax though. :)
½ December 19, 2011
Amazing CG! However, it borrows too much from The Matrix and Dune to be original and interesting. Nonetheless, a reasonably good flix.
½ October 24, 2011
A bad Hollywood action movie posing as anime.
September 21, 2011
Amazing animation, fantastic storyline and a kick-ass soundtrack. A shame about the anti-climatic ending though.
½ September 4, 2011
Great animation and a decent story.
½ August 16, 2011
Could have been better. Resolution to ending was formulaic. Nonetheless, story is good; gives you the chills.
½ July 19, 2011
A brilliant idea and simply stunning animation mixed with some pretty insane action sequences makes for an extremely cool sci-fi/action film, however it does feel at times that this is all the film really has going for it. There were moments of unintentional but still pretty hilarious humour (some of which followed a cringe), but I have to admit, the film has its heart in the right place. Fantastic stuff for people wanting sci-fi that doesn't wrack the brain too much.
July 10, 2011
I'll start with the negatives. Vexille is not an original film in the slightest. Be it the central storyline, concepts or characterizations there is nothing here that hasn't been done elsewhere. However, despite this the film is highly polished and, in my personal opinion, of the highest order.

The CGI animation and artwork is breathtaking. From a visual stand point, be it in animation or live action, this film reaches the higher level echelon standards! I mean, this has real "wow" factor! The film also possess an excellent run time that is absolutely perfect, and the pacing of the film is spot-on too. Sequences of action and dialogue are well spread-out and the film has a very "complete" feel to it. The music is pretty damn good too. The implementation of it is superb!

As matter of fact, out of all the big blockbuster films I've seen this year (2008) there is only one that I rate higher than this, and that's The Dark Knight. Indeed, this is a vastly superior film to the likes of The Incredible Hulk, Hellboy 2: The Golden Army and even Iron Man! Pity that the majority haven't even heard of it, let alone seen it!

Oh, and its yet another example of the (trivial) "tragedy" that animation critics will happily lap-up Transformers but choose to actively ignore a film such as this because its animation. When will they learn eh?

One of the best anime films I've seen for a long time. Unoriginal? Yes. Good entertainment? No question. Great stuff.
May 7, 2011
Friggin great movie, one of my favorite anime.
April 19, 2011
Awesome anime, by the makers/director of the also awesome Appleseed movies. Can't wait till robot suits are available!
April 16, 2011
An interesting movie. Not much of a ride though it does have it's ups and downs. Overall worth seeing but not at any expense...
April 6, 2011
It's been a while since I watched an anime film that was not Pixar or Disney themed. This movie is a gem. It makes me want to go back and watch the classics again ... like Akira and Ghost In The Shell. The animation was top notch. Make no mistake .... Japan has America beat in animation .. hands down .. but this (animation) is some of the best I've yet to see come out of The Empire State. This movie is not for children under 12 .. but it will make a great family outing for adolescents and their parents. It comes highly recommended.