The Vicious Kind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Vicious Kind Reviews

½ March 16, 2016
Ugh. Simmons and Scott elevate some of the most generic and boringly undramatic indie bullshit I've seen in a while.
April 7, 2015
Adam Scott is incredible and the movie itself is really really good. It's a must see for anyone movie buff.
March 31, 2015
Adam scott proves he can play serious, even though hes playing a dick which is what he does best. This is one of the movies where i like the story but the characters just make some choices i cant relate to which makes it less believable. we also have an unlikable protagonist so there's nobody to root for. I was still engaged the whole time and appreciated a lot of it even though its not fun.
December 8, 2014
Misogynist arsehole worship
June 28, 2014
An indie drama which can be summed up thusly: a woman-hating man spends his every waking hour trying to sleep with his brother's new girlfriend just because she reminds him physically of the woman who just broke up with him. This yawner stars the talented Brittany Snow.
½ June 12, 2014
This film was a wonderful reminder to me of why I love independent films so much; it's not only a deep character study, but a magnificent reminder that movies don't need big budgets to look beautiful. The Vicious Kind details the life of Caleb Sinclaire, a psychologically troubled construction worker suffering a recent break-up with his girlfriend. Caleb soon finds himself attracted to his brother's girlfriend Emma, and so our dark story filled with family drama, romance, and growth begins. Adam Scott is the heartbeat of this movie, and his performance is nothing short of magnificent - after seeing him in so many comedies, it was nice to see that he possesses an incredible amount of range. At times terrifying, he's a broken character when we first meet him, and it's beautiful to witness his growth throughout the film as he finally confronts his past and his mistakes. Opposite him, Brittany Snow is also fantastic, although she does not quite have as much to work with; likewise, Simmons and Frost are fantastic, but they aren't given as much screen time as Scott. For me, this wasn't an issue, though, as I felt that Caleb Sinclaire was rightfully the emotional center point of this movie. The plot is admittedly simple, as is the script, but the actors truly elevate the material. Scenes that could be laughably awkward and bad appear natural and, frankly, damn good. The music is mostly used to great effect throughout the film, and the cinematography is (while nothing revolutionary) quite good, too - The Vicious Kind definitely earns its art house movie label. To me, this is a special movie because of its characters and the actors that play them. It's great to see that you don't need millions of dollars to make an utterly fantastic and moving film - you just need a story to tell and actors willing to make the story come to life.
June 4, 2014
So this small independent film had a lot of little things going or it; it stars Adam Scott, who I really like and he gives a great dramatic performance even though his character is unlikable. Second, it is directed by the same guy who directed Jesse and Celeste Forever. And finally it has some great music; 2 songs from Radical Face (including the fantastic "Welcome Home") and one Bon Iver song, which I didn't know got eliminated from the final cut of the film (so i gotta minus a half of a star for that disappointment). After all of that, the story was a little slow and kind of unbelievable, but it had some great performances.
May 20, 2014
a pretty good movie and extremely good character studies.
April 23, 2014
I tried to watch this one, but I am going to have to pass.
½ April 18, 2014
This movie hates women. What a waste of 1 hour and 32 minutes of my life.
½ March 20, 2014
One of the best works of Adam Scott
March 17, 2014
Could have been better if any of the characters had actual backgrounds other than "damaged" really just liked Adam Scott and the cinematography.
March 16, 2014
these are 'vicious' kinds of people indeed
the film really shows how emotionally brutal this family can be and has been
Caleb just had his heartbroken and therefore, lashes out against every type of woman to get his being hurt across
he pushes so many people away from his brother to his dad to his brother's girlfriend
Brittany Snow was so much better than I thought she was going to be; she too comes from a troubled background while also trying to avoid Caleb's advances
there's also a bigger story as to how the father and sons grew so far apart
I really appreciated the strong acting from everyone, the scenery was very relaxing in the rural setting and it's a not-too-shabby soundtrack
another indie film that really examines people's feelings and bitter emotions but not overbearing
½ February 10, 2014
Great performances and a quirky/dark story.
½ January 20, 2014
The Vicious Kind (2009)
A simple, yet relatively strong narrative with an Art House take on the classic love triangle. Adam Scott plays a scruffy, cynical, yet deeply heartbroken man, (resembling that of Bronte's Heathcliff), who becomes infatuated with his emotionally underdeveloped brother's girlfriend (played cleverly by Brittany Snow). His brother Peter (Alex Frost) is oblivious and naive to the situation, which degrades his role to an intolerable and childish level detracting from the film's relatively serious undertone. Caleb (Scott) and Emma (Snow) work well together, maintaining tension through scenes of prolonged staring and silence. Scott is given a slew of devilishly clever lines from a solid script and delivers them with pure heart and emotion, a triumphant performance that sheds light on why some hide their feelings from those they love. This emotion is captured through smart film making and at times a powerful soundtrack. On the other hand, the movie has trouble deciding what it wants to be. A timely piece bent on spreading a message? or a darkly comic romance? A weak and at times awkward performance by J.K. Simmons as the two brothers' father leads the film in a more comic direction, but would be best served in a different one. The Vicious Kind is a complete package with the cookie cutter qualities of a sentimental indie jewel.
January 18, 2014
Pretty dark film about a broken man.played by Adam Scott. I've got a newfound respect for him since I never seen him do a role like this and he nailed it. The whole story and film was just a little too dark and depressing for me but it certainly wasn't a bad picture. The upside was Brittany Snow and Adam Scott's chemistry, an unlikely duo who both nailed their characters and kept it believable.
January 14, 2014
Great acting from Brittany Snow and Adam Scott, though they seem to overact at moments. A great script is what truly holds this film together. Great drama yet a bit overdone at times.
December 28, 2013
This is an okay movie who's best achievement is showcasing Adam Scott as a really good actor. We've all seen him in comedies but he plays a multi layered character here. That being said, the movie is just okay. No real point.
½ December 10, 2013
Really not convinced by Caleb's insomnia. He looked so fresh! And he didn't come across as nasty as he was probably supposed to. This film has a pretty entertaining plot, but overall a little weak.
½ December 9, 2013
Great performances! Especially by Adam Scott & Brittany Snow. Some interesting cinematography. Good story, nothing groundbreaking or unique, but it was presented in an interesting way - I like the focus on character instead of plot.