Vidal Sassoon: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vidal Sassoon: The Movie Reviews

October 27, 2015
awesome doc about a true american/UK icon
½ August 22, 2015
A great documentary about Sasson and his utterly interesting and compelling life.
½ September 23, 2012
Very interesting & motivating life story.
½ July 13, 2012
More a documentary about the 60s and 70s and the rise of Fashion that about VS himself.

For a hairdresser he's a thoroughly likeable chap. He died in May this year aged 84 but he looked terrific for his age. He was on Desert Island Disks recently too, I was surprised to hear his story about being in an orphanage as a young East End jewish boy, you expect an over privileged gay twerp with a name like that but there you go.

Nice film, worth a watch.
½ March 24, 2012
This technically good but overly reverential documentary about the fashion icon, Vidal Sassoon, suffers greatly from an overwhelming sense that what is being presented is a vanity project rather than a truly honest retelling of his life. Far too glossy for its own good, the film moves along at a sound pace and does at times prove interesting, however, for every little piece of reality - the talk of his daughter's death - there is something to snap the viewer back to questioning who really is behind this film. Featuring interviews with a bevy of interesting fashion and hair industry experts there is a lot to listen to, it's simply that, however, when Grace Coddington arrives on screen one is reminded of the far superior and far more revealing Wintour documentary, The September Issue. Warts and all does not have to mean grubby, which it is obvious this film was trying to avoid. The problem ends up being that they take an arc far too removed from this to try and escape it all and they end up facing a whole new problem - a sense that the film is completely contrived. It's a disappointing and missed opportunity.
March 21, 2012
interesting documentary
February 16, 2012
This is a carefully and lovingly made documentary about the iconic hairdresser and businessman.. It is surprising that no such documentary has been made in the past.
We are given glimpses into Sassoon's rise to fame and fortune from a Jewish orphanage, along with a candid look at the crumbling of his personal life in later years. We see how his personality brought him fame and fortune.
This is a sensitive work with firsthand accounts of those who shaped Sassoon's life, from childhood to today.
This film is must watching for social history buffs. Bravo!
lesleyanorton
½ December 2, 2011
KInd of interesting, especially to show how boring hair is nowadays, but I didn't much care fo rthe subject and his strange, elocution-trained voice. The 80's Vidal & Beverley Sassoon TV series, with white teeth & orange tan was a low point.
½ October 17, 2011
A solid 7/10 documentary.
September 30, 2011
What a great documentary.
½ September 22, 2011
Take everything presented to you and use it as motivation,,
September 15, 2011
Disappointed in this glorified story of Vidal Sassoon. Though I don't doubt his skill and impression he carved into fashion, the story of his beginnings are told in such an overt and indulgent way it overshadowed his influence. It's a shame this was overbaked.
½ September 7, 2011
surprisingly interesting movie
August 16, 2011
While this documentary might border on a commercial for his products, it's interesting nonetheless, telling of his rise from orphanage in the East End, to his apprenticeship at Adolph Cohen's Hair Salon to his conquering the world of fashion in the sixties with Mary Quant. Now in his eighties, he has worn amazingly well, the exercise regime has certainly paid off. No mention of Big Lou though........
May 20, 2011
Only cos I worked there when i was 15 lol
May 7, 2011
OMG they make films about anything nowadays. Vidal sassoon - I really don't think so
½ May 4, 2011
There's a pronounced litmus test in the very first line of voiceover - "it is hard to underestimate the influence Vidal Sassoon has had" (on what - modern American literature? The Arab-Israeli conflict? Gabba house?) - and even if you can get past that without snorting, the opening montage is a veritable minefield, with a variety of unattributed voices (and Noel Edmonds) delivering breathless encomiums along the lines of "being close to Vidal is like sitting next to Muhammad Ali or Albert Einstein in their prime." (Only, presumably, with curlers in.) At no point does the resulting film, or its subject, become any more self-aware... For anyone who's only known Sassoon as a brand, rather than as a man, there's an element of surprise in being confronted with this spritely figure, who talks of growing up Jewish in an East End lorded over by Mosley's fascists (a historical detail you can audibly hear being trumped up to give the arc some substance) and how Bauhaus architecture changed the way he came to look at people's heads. But, really: it's hair. It grows, you have it cut, it grows back again. Dearie me, people, get over yourselves.
February 28, 2011
I've seen the film twice - at The Tribeca Film Festival and then again on opening night in NYC. It's a poignant and well-covered account of Vidal's life and career and how he inspired the entire hairdressing industry. A must-see for every hairdresser. And, if you are not a hairdresser (like me) it's still a well-documented and entertaining insight into a man who really changed his craft.
February 20, 2011
loved it...of course we have a special bond with him as an icon...and only in LA we met one of his featured mentors as we left the theater
½ February 12, 2011
The most INCREDIBLE old man, we should all go to learn pilates!