The Video Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Video Dead Reviews

April 5, 2016
It starts well, as far as b-movies go, and can actually be rather creepy but it runs out of ideas fast.
½ August 25, 2015
This is an absurd and often downright stupid zombie movie from the 80s with a tone akin to something like The Evil Dead but sillier. A horror classic this ain't, but it is a lot of fun. There's tons of gore with practical effects, and awkward humor that may or may not be intentional. So-bad-it's-great, the movie is a great deal of fun. Not much to say about it really; weird and campy, if you're into this sort of thing check it out.
½ August 18, 2015
so bad it's.........really bad. Made me laugh a tad but it was stupid, lazy and a proper stinker. Makes me a bit sick in my mouth when thinking back to this film. rotten stuff
February 16, 2015
Pure B-movie fun. The acting is not great, nor the make up but The Video Dead manages to be an entertaining zombie flick.
½ February 1, 2015
Admittedly very cheesy. Still, it's a fun 80s zombie flick that won't bore you.
½ January 23, 2015
I've heard that this is considered a comedy or that it's self aware... I don't know about that. I disagree and feel they set out to make a serious movie, and after seeing the terrible acting and final product they acted as if it was intentional the entire time.

The acting is truly atrocious. The plot is about as basic as "things happen". The script is just bad. We follow one character throughout, only for him to die and the last 15 minutes to be concluded with a character who had very little screen time to that point. Anticlimactic doesn't even begin to describe it.

Despite that, there's some some nice cheap blood and gore, the zombies look decent considering the low budget, and there is some nice cheesy 80s flare to it. It's not a terrible watch and it flew by as a watch until the final 20 or so minutes (which should be expected when it was a character we hadn't seen much of to that point). I wouldn't recommend it to zombie fans, but probably for bad movie fans. You really need friends to watch this one though.
May 28, 2014
Thought the 80s camp was perfect despite the terrible acting. I personally was very fascinated with the unusual zombie concept. By far, the makeup and effects are my favorite thing about this flick.
½ December 3, 2013
Luckily netflix had this ( at least they did back then) this is weird.
September 4, 2013
An interesting idea, a television acting as a
portal to the living world for the undead, that tries admirably to be a touch tongue in cheek but valiantly fails. The interest parts of the story (those that have escaped the massive plot holes littered throughout) are hampered by weak special effects, a poor script & laughable acting. It's an interesting watch but, by 1987, there were many better low budget movies being released than this.
July 12, 2013
Horribly awesome zombie movie--The Video Dud!!
½ June 9, 2013
If you're not into really bad movies, The Video Dead isn't likely going to change your mind. However, if SOBIG movies are where your heart lies, The Video Dead is an often forgotten gem that delivers plenty of gore, lame, and cheese through a story, that doesn't make that much sense but somehow seems to work.
½ June 7, 2013
Things this movie taught me: If a decrepit looking television is delivered to your home, don't just happily accept it and plug it in, because zombies will come out of it and fucking eat you.

I mean seriously, this television looks awful, like someone drug it out of a dump and these idiot suburbanites just happily take it into their home and set it up like it's fresh from the local electronics store?

Low budget zombie fun from the VHS era, this was a decent watch on Netfux Instant Watch, so give it a peep if you have the chance, it definitely has its moments.
February 22, 2013
Enjoyable but still a a Grade Z horromedy.
Francisco G.
February 21, 2013
Completly awful 80s cheesy horror but self-aware and super hilarious thanks to it. It's either super gory or super cheap looking but what binds it all together is the over the top forced acting. Fans of the genre can't miss this.
February 9, 2013
The Video Dead is one of those horror films that you're either with or you're not, and I can't say that I'm totally on board with it, so call me an anomally. I wouldn't say that I disliked it or anything but I was disappointed. I suppose it comes from seeing the VHS box art as a kid and never getting the chance to see it and having it built up in my own mind what it is and what it's about. Well it's about zombies that come out of a TV and, that's about it really. Not that it needed a complex plot or anything, but that's basically what it's about. Because of the calibre of acting and production value, it reminded me a lot of The Dead Next Door. Both are very similar in that regard: bad acting, actors that don't look like actors, boring cinematography and lackluster locations. It seems more like a homemade movie, but it reaches just slightly above that. This is also supposedly one that you can find a lot of laughs in. I didn't in particular, but I can understand why. Overall, I wouldn't call it the worst zombie movie I've ever seen, but I definitely wouldn't rank it that highly.
November 14, 2012
I would like to say that The Video Dead is the zombie equivalent of Killer Klowns but it's not as funny or interesting.

The movie starts fast and doesn't waste too much time. Although some might think it's a bit slow. The theme that plays through the movie sounds like they are trying to not get sued for ripping off the Halloween music.

The lead actor is a whiny little snot that you want to slap the crap out of, and I swear they must have either used painter's tape or a lifetime supply of Blu Tack on the 1950s looking zombie.

There are a lot of good ideas and rules that aren't fleshed out or fully explained. "The Garbageman" for one and the whole concept of why the zombies are coming out of a possessed / cursed TV. In fact, one of the main characters points out how it doesn't make any sense. Also these have to be the most self-conscious, self-deluded (and apparently socially awkward) zombies I have ever seen. They still think they are alive. They hate their reflections because it reminds them that they are dead. and they hate the living because they are a reminder that they are no longer alive because the living show fear...but if you suppress your fear and act all nice to them and invite them in for beanie weenies they will be cool with you and ask you to dance.

I think that the title should have been "The AV Club Of The Dead". At least that would fill in SOME of the blanks without needing to put it into the script.

If you and your friends like to riff on bad movies, then The Video Dead will provide a lot of enjoyment and the film does offer up a small amount of laughs in its own right. It's not hilarious, mind you, but it's definitely worth a watch
October 31, 2012
Just a typical zombie film. At least it has a different kind of story.
September 30, 2012
Was fun re-visiting this. Hadnt seen it since my high school years. Such a fun and goofy flick.