Videocracy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Videocracy Reviews

½ March 4, 2016
The subject matter is interesting but it's poorly but together, lacking in structure and a cohesive editorial narrative
August 27, 2013
I was relieved when this long laundry list of descriptions of malaise was over. Three stars of five. The film certainly described aspects of a couple of layers of current Italian society, but it has an unfortunate ax-grinding feel to it. I came away from watching this film knowing more than I did from just Internet news accounts, but I did not feel it is a substantial difference.
December 17, 2012
devastante ma inevitabile
November 16, 2012
Forse mi aspettavo qualcosa in pi¨ da questo documentario di un italiano esule in Svezia, ma in Italia forse sono quasi tutte cose risapute sul potere della televisione e dell'apparenza, con i noti personaggi di Lele Mora (xenofobo di merda) e Corona (ridicolo Robin Hood moderno). Di certo in Italia il problema Ŕ pi¨ accentuato ma non risulta peculiare di altri paesi occidentali imbottiti di reality e di gossip. Il ritmo Ŕ lento come la nausenante voce fuori campo del doppiaggio italiano.
½ October 18, 2012
Horrific look at Berlusconiism, the base world of Italian television (90% owned by Berlusconi) which mainly consists of unedifying sexist pap.
Harlequin68
November 21, 2011
"Videocracy" starts by showing the inherent superiority of European television over its American counterpart. Sadly, the documentary does not see it that way as it seems to think any undressing on television leads immediately to "Caligula."(Relax, it's not like Hugh Hefner is running the country or anything...) All of which is laid at the feet of now former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi(why couldn't he have held on for another couple of weeks?) and his vast media empire which controls 90% of the television stations in Italy which on the face of it is very, very bad. But the documentary is less interested in his government's policies than in fame and reality programs which are not just an Italian problem but a worldwide plague. Even worse, the filmmakers in pure amateur hour fashion do not even come close to connecting the dots.
August 10, 2011
A celebretarded casino culture, naturally the expression of the rule of monopoly capital, the finance aristocracy. Watch it with La Dolce Vita, or Gomorrah, or Videodrome.
July 17, 2011
an interesting inside view of the italian society of the last 30years, see with the eyes of someone that left italy and now you also know why!
April 14, 2011
The word 'documentary' does not even come close to describing what this production is. The point of this exercise was to argue that the opinions -and the votes- in Italy are shaped by TV garbage, which abounds in Berlusconi's TVs broadcasts. That is, to put it mildly, a very stupid argument. It is also an ignorant argument, in that it ignores the complexity of the Berlusconi phenomenon, which is, by and large, a product of an enviroment NOT created by him and his broadcasts, but by the politics and the economy during a long time period, dating at least as far back as the early 1960's. If you want to understand the current predicament of Italy as a nation do yourself a favor and talk to your italian friends, read about what happened politically in the country in the 70's and 80's, and definitely skip this exercise, that drips with superciliousness and trite stereotypes.
April 9, 2011
Very interesting documentary!
½ February 7, 2011
A fairly shocking true-life conspiracy tale of celebrity culture run amok. It profiles some truly fascinating personalities who populate a corrupt political climate that almost sounds too strange to be true. As compelling as the subject is, the editing could use some tightening and, as a film, it doesn't lead to any kind of satisfying conclusion. But despite its flaws, an important and engrossing film.
January 21, 2011
¿Cuánto daño puede causar la televisión? Un documental revelador sobre la posmoderna "revolución cultural" de Berlusconi en Italia: por un lado, la destrucción de la palabra, de lo público, de lo colectivo, del pensamiento, de la producción, de lo real; por el otro lado, la santificación de la imagen, del individualismo, de la moda, del exitismo, del sexismo, de la superficialidad en su máxima expresión. Una señal de alerta para hacernos reflexionar sobre el poder destructivo de la pantalla sin contenido. Aterradora.
½ January 7, 2011
Residente in Svezia dal 1986, Erik Gandini riprende dall'esterno una panoramica stomachevole a noi sin troppo familiare. E realizza uno scarno documentario che tenta di riassumere la deriva culturale dell'Italia odierna in 80 minuti, facendo ricorso ad immagini di repertorio e colloqui con i nuovi mostri: dalle nostalgie littorie dei leli mora ai sorrisi di cartapesta dei berluscloni, trionfa il nulla che avanza venduto dai corona alla plebe di aspiranti nullità televisive. Da evitare dopo i pasti pesanti
½ November 17, 2010
Much has been said of Americas addiction to fame, but this movie shows us that we have nothing on the Itallians when it comes to making celebrities royalty.
It is an interesting documentary but it loses steam somewhere in the middle, and by the end I just found myself not caring anymore.
½ September 15, 2010
Retardirani Talijani. Dosadno. Razdu┼żeno. Fabrizio Corona ponosno pokazao pi┼íu, prava ┼íteta ┼íta izgleda ka ┼íporki cigan.
August 1, 2010
A quite engaging documentary but ultimately it left me feeling like it was a little overdone on the fear factor. Certainly a fascinating take on the strange world of celebrity and itÔ??s place in modern Italy from the top down.
July 25, 2010
Questo film si tratta della debolezza della media italiana ma mostra gli stessi probleme - e' divertissimo ma senza profondita'.
July 23, 2010
Not a bad documentary. It is the first I have seen about Berlesquoni and it did shock me. I couldn't quite tell if the filmmaker was poking fun at his whole entire country and the film was rather satirical, in which case well done, or whether he was simply there to show the facts and provide a funny but dull commentary.

There were many rather disgustingly absurd moments when perhaps you realised the reason behind the documentary; to show what a ridiculous state of affairs the Italian television industry is in. But the whole thing was far from perfection.

To tell the truth I viewed this because 'Four Lions' had sold out and so did not expect to be blown away. I was not, but was intrigued at some of the points made.
July 10, 2010
The perfect portrait of our imperfect democracy