Villa Rides - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Villa Rides Reviews

June 16, 2014
I don't want to live in a world where Yul Brunner has hair--A classic action western that's under appreciated and hard to find!!
½ May 26, 2014
Entertaining, suitably violent, but at the same time 'slight' 20th century western.
½ April 24, 2014
Villa Rides is a decent film. It is about Mexican rebel Pancho Villa who leads a revolution helped by an American aviator imprisonned in Mexico. Robert Mitchum and Yul Brynner give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Buzz Kulik did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the action.
½ September 6, 2011
A really good western will sell me in the opening credits. Villa Ride doesn't do that so I wasn't expecting much & for a little while it wasn't doing much for me. Robert Mitchum just wasn't carrying my interest & he's damn lucky that Yul Brynner & especially Charles Bronson showed. Yes this movie is saved by Bronson & I not just saying that as a Bronson fan. He has never been so ruthless. Death Wish movies don't count because there he is being vigilant. He shoots Caballeros five @ a time as he tries to get them to run & scale the wall to escape, he shoots a man & tells him to go bleed to death outside & he even lines them up so he can kill 3 w/ one bullet..have I mentioned that Bronson is THE MAN lately? Peckenpah has written a good script that has some humor to it like Brynner taking on like the 11th wife because he said it makes them happy..getting married & Im sure getting fucked by a Mexican Yul Brynner on the wedding night. It's too bad Peckinpah didn't direct or Im sure this would have been a much different animal
½ August 25, 2011
Thursday, August 25, 2011

(1968) Villa Rides
WESTERN

Despite it's problems behind the scenes, I still kinda liked this one, at least my dad did whose always been a Charles Bronson fan. Another fictional revisiting on Panch Villa with Yul Brynner, Charles Bronson and Robert Mitchum- I thought the humor was similar to other Bronsons Westerns and that it was good escape entertainment!

3 out of 4
½ March 18, 2011
It must be a terrible thing to kill men without hating them

Pancho Villa is in the middle of a revolution when he encounters an imprisoned American airplane pilot. He decides that he can utilize the pilot to help his cause. Initially, the pilot is reluctant to assist Villa; however, Villa convinces him his cause is worth the effort.

"I want to blow his brains out."
"I don't think he'll let you do that."

Buzz Kulik, director of The Hunter, Kill Me if you Can, Riot, Cage without a Key, Crawlspace, and Incident on a Dark Street, delivers Villa Rides. The storyline for this picture is fascinating and a unique take on the Pancho Villa storyline (or at least one I have never seen). The action scenes were excellent and the bullet wounds were intense. The acting was awesome for the genre and the cast includes Yul Brynner, Robert Mitchum, and Charles Bronson.

"Ever since the war the horse has been getting more than I have."
"The horse has more to offer."

I have been DVR'ing Charles Bronson movies lately and this film jumped off the page at me when I saw it starred Yul Brynner (Magnificent Seven). Bronson and Brynner played off each other perfectly. I thoroughly enjoyed the interactions between characters and found myself chuckling throughout the film. This picture was definitely longer than it needed to be, but it was still a worthwhile western.

"Go outside and die! Where are your manners?"

Grade: B (7.5)
October 5, 2010
"Magnificent Seven" co-stars Yul Brynner and Charles Bronson team up again as Mexican bandits-turned-freedom fighters in veteran television director Buzz Kulik's south-of-the-border epic "Villa Rides," a quasi-historical drama about Pancho Villa and the Mexican revolution during the early 20th century. Robert Towne of "Chinatown" fame and Sam Peckinpah wrote the cynical, bullet-riddled screenplay based on William Douglas Lansford's entertaining biography. Indeed, some scenes--such as Bronson's character lining three soldiers up in a row and shooting three of them at once--occurred in the book. Brynner is typically charismatic as Villa, while Bronson is appropriately Neanderthal as Villa's second-in-command Rodolfo Fierro. Fierro was a trigger-happy hombre in real-life and was always prepared to shoot first and ask questions later. Ostensibly, to give American audiences somebody with which to identify, the filmmakers cast Robert Mitchum as an aviator running guns to the villains. Later, he is captured by Villa's forced and scheduled for execution until the protagonist allows him to live to fly for them. Kulik orchestrates several major action scenes in this sprawling shoot'em up and delivers them with sufficient gusto, helped considerably by composer Maurice Jarre's rip-snorting musical soundtrack and "Bridge on the River Kwai" cinematographer Jack Hildyard's scenic lensing with Spain substituting for Mexico. Spaghetti western villain Frank Wolff has some memorable scenes, especially his death scene where he tries to hide in a well and the heroes lob a package of explosives into it.
August 5, 2008
Bronson and Yul Brynner team up again....
June 12, 2008
A flawed, but fun movie. The screenplay was written by Sam Peckinpah.
December 22, 2007
they are all good actors.They are my favorites