The Village Barbershop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Village Barbershop Reviews

½ July 26, 2015
Excelente filme independiente norteamericano sobre la historia que se desarrolla a partir de finales y comienzos en las vidas de los dos protagonistas de la película, en donde la lealtad y la amistad son dos ingredientes fundamentales en la historia. ¡No te la puedes perder!
½ February 7, 2015
A fairly routine indie dramedy about two down-on-their-luck people who save each other with their unlikely friendship. Ratzenberger is good and Cole solid, but everything else is by the numbers.
January 14, 2012
seriously amazing movie!!!
½ December 8, 2011
cool little quiet indie
September 3, 2011
It's worth a watch, I guess.
½ July 25, 2011
Close to being great.
½ July 4, 2011
This proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable look at a small town barber undergoing a personal transformation when he hires a woman to work in his barbershop. John Ratzenberger turned in a terrific performance as Art, who is dealing with the death of his friend and business partner and who still has not gotten over the death of his wife, eleven years previously. Enter Shelly Cole as Gloria, a feisty hairdresser who turns his world upside down and who gently prods him back into the land of the living. At times a bit maudlin, and very few plot twists to mix things up could not totally detract from the good feelings one gets from this. There is a lot of subtle humor here, but the strength of the film is in the relationship and the respect that builds between these two characters. This may not be great cinema, or uplifting art, but it certainly is an entertaining story that leaves one feeling like there are still pockets of decency out there.
½ December 30, 2010
Good movie about a crusty old man and the young lady with tons of problems that come together and end up fixing each other's lives.

He is broke and alone, about to lose his barbershop. His neighbors are a bunch of pot smoking kids that constantly throwing garbage in his lawn and stealing his electricity to power their stuff.

She is dating a long distance trucker and finds out that she is pregnant the same day that the father of the baby found true love and wants her to move out of the trailer that they are living in.

In the end, the both find true love and happiness (with the obligatory down turn in fortunes) with other people that love them for they really are.

It's a cute movie, a bit sad in between but the acts of revenge that take place between the old guy and the sleazy real estate guy are kind of funny but not really original.
½ November 12, 2010
Excelente filme independiente norteamericano sobre la historia que se desarrolla a partir de finales y comienzos en las vidas de los dos protagonistas de la pelcula, en donde la lealtad y la amistad son dos ingredientes fundamentales en la historia. No te la puedes perder!
bbcfloridabound
½ October 26, 2010
John Ratzenberger (From Cheers) plays in this movie along with Shelly Cole who takes a slow moving movie and subject and turn it into something worth the 99 minutes to watch it. A ageing Barber with a shop that is slowly going broke looks for a new employee and along comes Shelly who give a old man new meaning to life. 4 1/2 stars
October 14, 2010
This movie was fantastic! My husband and I just kind of came across this film by accident. We had noticed that John Ratzenberger was in it, and it had been a long time since we had seen his name attached to anything. Wow, were we ever amazed at the quality of this film, and at how much we enjoyed his character! As a matter of fact we got a big kick out of everyone in the film. The whole thing was VERY enjoyable.
July 11, 2010
Slow, ambling tale of damaged people trying to get past their issues. There's nothing particularly bad about it, but nothing particularly good either. It's not funny or suspenseful - not much of anything.
½ June 28, 2010
A good old tale of reclaiming and redirecting your life on a new path. And fun characters and relationships portrayed.
May 19, 2010
Problems, problems, problems. Was this an indie movie or what.
May 18, 2010
This is a slow, some what sad little movie about people who are in danger of losing what few life choices they have left. Art (the barber) hasn't recovered from his wife's death - he drinks too much, gambles too much, and is letting his business slip away. Gloria is pregnant and in danger of losing the roof over her head and losing her only financial lifeline (scum-bag boyfriend's credit card). Fortunately, Gloria has skills both as a beautician and as an accountant.

The movie is about how Art and Gloria band together to try and help each other. This is a drama with touches of humor.
½ April 20, 2010
A nice "Slice of life film." I wish there were more like this. Ordinary people dealing with ordinary problems. My first exposure to Shelley Cole. I wish her success in the future, I really enjoyed hers and all the performances.
March 28, 2010
It's a well known phenomenon how two strikingly different characters can light up a screen together. In "The Village Barbershop," the two leads, Shelly Cole as the struggling, soon-to-be single mom, and John Ratzenberger as the cranky barbershop owner, are both mildly interesting individuals. But when they are on screen together, the oddness of their association piques our interest, and the result is a good one.

Some of the acting will make you cringe, and the plot has some pinholes. I was able to overlook all of that. Cole's performance helped. She is very good, and I suspect we'll be seeing more of her.

This is a decent but forgettable film, nothing more and nothing less.
½ March 11, 2010
Another a slow-pace, feel good indie I checked out on Netflix instant viewing. Nice to watch after a long, hard day of work... if I ever had those. I wished though they'd develop the relationship between the two main characters a bit more. Even at the end they still seemed like they should be strangers to each other.
February 27, 2010
Yes, cute and charming!!!
½ November 29, 2009
This was a cute little movie. If you liked 'Juno', you will probably like this.