Village of the Giants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Village of the Giants Reviews

May 30, 2016
A goofy science fiction flick that has some dry acting despite the appearances of Ron Howard and Beau Bridges. The corny effects, the 60s rock, the surfer sensibilities, and the giant delinquent themes is a simple escape. A fun movie not to be taken seriously.
April 2, 2016
Boring, horrifically paced, but may be good for a few laughs
½ March 21, 2015
I'm guessing that in the H.G. Wells novel this film is based upon, "The Food of the Gods," that there was less dancing, crazy rock n' roll or teenagers run amok. This version of the story involves four teens who happen upon a potion made by little Ronnie Howard that turns animals and people into giants. The teens become giants and then live like Roman Gods making the townspeople do their bidding. Tommy Kirk plays one of the non-giant good teens and Beau Bridges plays one of the bad giant teens. Toni Basil also appears int he film as Red and Joe Turkel plays the Sheriff. This film was also Jack Nitzsche 's first film credit as composer. And fans of "Back to the Future" might recognize the town square as the same one on the Universal backlot that doubled as Hill Valley in that film. It's a silly and badly made film to be sure, but it's also pretty fun and entertaining. This is also probably a cult favorite of giantess fetishists.
½ March 17, 2015
weird wacky but watchable
April 15, 2014
You have to love the scene with the Beau Brummels. While someone can rightfully call this dreck, it is beyond entertaining, at least it was to me. Part of my massive enjoyment of this movie comes with the ridiculousness of it.
½ November 20, 2013
A film that has more dancing and skimpy out-fits than sense. The effects are cheesy, the characters are even worse, and the plot is slow and dumb. The ending is utterly shameless and resolves nothing serious.
½ June 29, 2013
What do you get when you mix a freaky sci-fi B movie, a beach party movie and a swinging 60's atmosphere? You get this piece of crap. Village of the Giants might have been based on an H.G. Wells story, but it fails as a movie on nearly every level. Despite the fact that a young Ron Howard and Beau Bridges are in it, there's barely any reason to watch it at all. Even the Mystery Science Theater 3000 guys couldn't make it that much more enjoyable. Hardly anything really could. I spent most of the time wanting to punch most of the "teenagers" in the face because of how annoying they were. It's also another of those movies that you fight desperately to stay awake on, and as I've said about others like it, I didn't make it the first time through. You're better off skipping it altogether if you ask me. Find something better.
September 11, 2012
Watchable and at times fun, but this is miles from being a good movie.
May 28, 2012
It's quite silly , but I like the people in it. I was 11 yrs. old , so I was into tommy. Kirk, Johnny Crawford, Ronny Howard(Opie) Beau Bridges...
½ September 20, 2011
Terrible special effects highlight this movie. Also, Beau Bridges and Ron Howard. The MST3K was pretty good though.
½ June 20, 2011
O my god, how can a movie be worse than this? I only the first 15 mins, but that's all I didn't to see, because the plots terrible, the acting's terrible, and the directing's terrible. DON'T SEE THIS MOVIE!!!
June 16, 2011
1 of those Bad Movies That are Better then Terminator Salvation.
June 16, 2011
just ok b movie stuff
½ April 13, 2011
This was made in 1965? It looked like it was animated in dirt by ancient astronaughts frame-by-frame.
½ December 5, 2010
This has got to be the craziest teen movie of the sixties, in terms of plot I mean. A kid is working on a growth formula, teens accidentally take some and become giants who try to take over the world? Wow. This would be a good movie if these teens didn't spend half the movie dancing around and saying stupid lines. The ending is even more disappointing. I wouldn't recommend this movie.
October 13, 2010
Bert I. Gordon goes to new heights with this masterpiece. If you are an adult and you mess with teenagers, teenagers will become big and crush you for making them turn the radio down. This musical (!) comedy is woefully misunderstood...clearly it is a satire of 1960's teen and creature feature movies!
October 12, 2010
Great, dumb fun with a Jack Nitsche score and an MST3K version.
rayman0071
September 1, 2010
Released in 1965,directed by Bert I. Gordon and produced by Joesph E. Levine(who was the head of production for a little known "B" movie studio called Embassy Pictures and was part of producing great films such as "Hercules", "Zulu","The Carpetbaggers",and "The Graduate",was also known for making some of the worst movies ever made..."Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter,and "Billy The Kid Versus Dracula",to name a few)...."Village of the Giants" has to be one of the worst movies ever made in fact,turned out to be a huge cult favorite as well. The cast members who starred in this fiasco went on to bigger and better things in their careers including former Disney star Tommy Kirk, Johnny Crawford(Mark from The Rifleman),Beau Bridges,Tisha Sterling,Barbara Anderson(who went on to star in Ironside in a cameo role)along with Joy Harmon,Tim Rooney,and featuring little Ronny Howard(of The Andy Griffith Show,aka Opie)as the boy scientist in what some my call the only actor in the entire cast that acted more adult that his teen counterparts. Watching actor Johnny Crawford make a fool out of himself is even a bigger riot. A cult favorite at the local drive-in theatre during its initial release.
February 19, 2010
Giant hot chicks shaking their giant barely-covered asses and wiggling their gigantic barely-covered boobs. Sixties-era penis jokes. What's there NOT to like about this movie?!?

XD
November 24, 2009
OMG...What a campy movie. And I love the teen singing stars of the day. And Ron Howard too.