Vincere - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vincere Reviews

½ October 21, 2015
The montage of actual historical footage & fictional scenes made the 1st half looking broken & disjointed.
The 2nd half is better for being more on the fictional side.
Some decent acting though.
August 31, 2015
This movie is terrible. How 92% of the Rotten Tomato critics gave it thumbs is beyond me. The narrative is nearly incomprehensible, the music attempts to be operatic but is mostly annoying and Mussolini is more cartoon than character.
September 8, 2014
Vincere is one of the finest movies I've seen. I knew about Ida Dalser from my interest in Interwar Italy, but to see their love story in film was something . . . Quite different. The one word I would use to describe this film and its contents--its emotions, intrigue, Mussolini's early betrayal of his wife and son as he broke from the Socialists to join the war and climb onto Italy's national stage, and, of course, Fabrizio Costella's hauntingly accurate portrayal of the young DVX is simply: "Wow".
November 16, 2013
Reasonably uninspired tale from fascist Italy. Mezzogiorno is good as always, but she has not much to work with. I also am not persuaded by the attempts to make us feel sorry for this woman who is obviously hard done by, but, hey, she is in very active romantic pursuit of one of the greatest criminals of 20th century Europe, and a mad one at that, so there's a constant feeling of "serves you right" in the background.
½ March 19, 2013
Un film fatto tecnicamente molto bene, superiore ai soliti film italiani. I costumi e l'ambientazione sono perfetti, la regia invece offre spunti originali (intramezzare il girato con video d'epoca, gli slogan interventisti etc), ma non offre nulla per quanto riguarda le inquadrature etc. Mostra l'ascesa del fascismo e quel lato oscuro che non si conosce del Duce, cioe' la moglie e il figlio ripudiati, ma personalmente non trovo l'argomento di particolare interesse e il film non aiuta ad emozionarmi (parte bene ma poi risulta un po' troppo lungo, o troppo lento verso la fine, vedete voi).
March 1, 2013
Melodramatic but interesting.
September 9, 2012
...mi aspettavo di più, nel complesso un film inferiore al solito Bellocchio, anche se la storia reale offre molti spunti. Non mi è piaciuta Giovanna Mezzogiorno.
½ July 10, 2012
Incoherent start and zero dramatic tension.
June 20, 2012
I really enjoyed this documentary, and even more interpretations, very intense.
May 23, 2012
A big hulking biopic about Mussolini's estranged first wife, with a story that's splintered into grand political theatrics and quiet personal drama. The historical moments are melodramatic, loud, even hysterical; and even then they don't say much at all -- I'm still not sure why Mussolini became a fascist, for example. And the tender moments are muted, stilted, imperceptible -- I'm not sure of anything at all.
March 22, 2012
Great melodrama both politically and romantically!
½ February 18, 2012
Well made movie. The story, unfortunately is depressing - and based on a true story
½ January 3, 2012
I giggled, sighed, screamed, shouted, cried about injustices, read the biography of Mussolini, and left me wanting to see more Italian films. Vincere works on many levels that ultimately left me satisfied.
December 14, 2011
An attempt quite valid, but not always exciting to bring a historical myth to the real world, and lead the viewer's eyes to an unknown history of ambition beyond measure.
½ November 28, 2011
A massive tour de force that grips your senses, and lifts you high.. never to let go.
November 27, 2011
3asa an yakoun 3ebra liman ya3taber
November 4, 2011
interesting and weell done bio-pic about mussolini
October 17, 2011
A la base, un epiphenomene de l'histoire du fascisme italien : l'histoire d'Ida Dalser, maitresse et mere du premier fils de Mussolini, que ce dernier abandonnera et s'efforcera d'effacer de l'hagiographie officielle une fois le pouvoir recueilli. Pour autant, le contexte historique ne sert que de toile de fond a "Vincere" et denoncer les derives de la Grande histoire au moyen du tragique de la Petite n'interesse pas vraiment Marco Bellochio. Ouvertement allegorique - certains auront tot fait de rattacher l'insistance du realisateur a souligner le pouvoir de l'image a un autre phenomene politique italien plus contemporain ! -"Vincere" est moins un film sur la montee du fascisme ou la quete de pouvoir que sur la notion parfois tres relative de la "verite", a travers le combat d'une femme pour faire eclater cette derniere, un combat perdu d'avance puisqu'il s'oppose a une nation prise toute entiere d'ivresse collective. Par ailleurs, la figure du Duce, incarne par l'etonnant Fillipo Timi, s'estompe rapidement pour laisser la place a la figure burlesque du veritable dictateur des actualites d'epoque, et resurgit sous les traits du fils rendu fou pour l'absence du pere, reduit a singer grotesquement cette lointaine figure mediatique. Ce tourbillon de folie et de solitude, Bellochio le magnifie par sa mise en scene baroque et flamboyante. Brillant.
½ September 7, 2011
It seemed too forced at the beginning, but the performances and cinematography rescued this film for me.