Vinyl Reviews

• May 18, 2017

...And in the end, all the junkies, beat poets and hipsters took acid and lived happily ever after. This is not great cinema and even for fans of Warhol (of which I am) it's not good art. It is essentially a dodgy acting workshop with no linear narrative whatsoever. Something about a guy strapped to a chair being whipped, teased, poked and prodded. He is then made to wear a leather mask and promise to 'be a good boy'. Warhol has basically filmed all his sado-masochistic fantasies under the thin pretence of art. This cannot be classified as art because it told me nothing interesting unless some incoherent ramblings on the "mechanisation of society" (Something he told us more effectively in the painting of a soup can) can be considered interesting.

• Jan 28, 2017

• Nov 11, 2015

Badly acted (which I think is intentional) but I found this movie both fun and entertaining to watch.

• Jun 23, 2012

A film that isn't understood by many, to my knowledge, but it is a great exercise in experimental film making. Warhol makes great use of cramped space and exhausted actors to capture a feeling of in the now, on the spot, film making. Based off of A Clockwork Orange, the cramped style feels like debauchery and recklessness, devoid of a point even when given one. Ultimately it's a fun film with some talent, and had it been prepared first and put on stage, it may be celebrated like we do Samuel Beckett.

• Sep 06, 2011

What limited appeal is here is due to the vestiges of Burgess' Clockwork Orange, not the sub-sub-basement acting or the static shots that are perhaps meant to convey an artistic frame or give us time to digest the people within the picture but really just allow the boredom to creep further and further in.

• Jul 16, 2011

I like Andy Warhol as much as the next person, but this is ridiculous!

I like Andy Warhol as much as the next person, but this is ridiculous!

• May 13, 2011

If this application had a zero-star option, this would get it. What's far more shocking than the sadomasochistic events onscreen is the gall that Warhol has in his attempt to pass off something incompetent kids in a low-rent garage could have made as actual art. Crap is crap no matter how much irony you throw at it.

• Jan 07, 2011

HAHA wtf, basically. Warhol's factory puts on the worst acting clinic ever, probably by design, which doesn't make it watchable.

• Dec 21, 2009

Ok, I tried. I think that Warhol is just f*cking with us (OK, not really). A glimpse into Warhol's world of art and creativity that was part of the Exploding Plastic Inevitable, it was meant to be an examination of the anti-hero in the style of A Clockwork Orange (6 years before Kubrick made his film interpretation). For fans of the film or book, this is a useful glimpse into Warhol's take on the masterpiece.

• Dec 24, 2008