Violent City (The Family)(CittÓ violenta) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Violent City (The Family)(CittÓ violenta) Reviews

July 10, 2016
Never ever fuck over Bronson. Savalas is perfectly cast as a mob boss and the Morricone soundtrack is fantastic. Only Bronson could pull off that climax. Would really like to see a complete restored version, though.
October 13, 2015
Ei niin hyvń kuin oletin. Kolme pistettń pappa Bronsonille.
May 20, 2015
Professional hit man Heston (Bronson) gets double-crossed by his manipulative lover (Ireland), who sets him up to take the fall for a murder. Once out of prison, he seeks revenge on those behind it and eventually comes under the control of New Orleans mob boss Weber (Savalas), who has his own plans for Heston. Typical Eurocrime thriller has one knockout car chase sequence, a great Ennio Morricone score, and some interesting location photography. As usual, Bronson dominates the movie by sheer physical presence, reducing the other actors to just scenery. Savalas has fun with his cameo role, with Ireland's turn as femme fatale just OK. She's better in scenes where she doesn't speak, as her line delivery leaves a lot to be desired. Credit director Sollima with trying to make this more than what it is, though the political undercurrent he seeks will mostly come across to Italians. The final sequence is nicely done, with no dialogue or music. Charles Bronson fans will rate this higher, with the uncut DVD presentation likely to make more sense than the U.S. theatrical release.
February 26, 2015
Often having the characters speak Italian for no reason is one of the many faults of Violent City aka The Family. Charles Bronson plays a hitman for the mafia who goes to jail when a rival hitman attempts to kill him. Upon release, he seeks out his old girlfriend who has gotten married to Jeff's (Bronson) boss. There isn't much thrills or action to be had, just a few good scenes with telly Savalas and the lawyer character. Its a pretty standard thriller with not a lot of style or bite.
½ March 7, 2013
Another installment of Bronson's prosperous Euro career unfolds with Chuck as a hitman who refuses an offer to work for a mob boss, who are also involved with the same lady. Bronson's dialogue is limited, which made the producers' dubbing to Italian a little easier. Not one of the better Bronson films of the era but from a personal standpoint, I enjoyed the vintage footage of Michigan International Speedway.
July 14, 2012
After a bloody double-cross leaves him for dead, professional hit man Jeff (Charles Bronson) tracks the and his beautiful mistress (Jill Ireland) to New Orleans. But when Jeff takes both revenge and the woman, he finds himself blackmailed by a powerful crime boss (Telly Savalas) who wants the fiercely independent gunman to join his organization. Jeff refuses, and is hunted through an unforgiving city where love is like a loaded gun and debts of vengeance are paid in bullets.

also stars Umberto Orsini, Michel Constantin, George Savalas, Peter Dane, Benjamin Levy and Ray Saunders.

directed by Sergio Sollima.
½ March 31, 2011
I have lived withe the soundtrack of this movie for a couple of years now but I haven't seen the actual movie until now.
The score of this movie is possible the strongest set of music to a movie that Ennio Morricone has ever done (And he's mad quite a few soundtracks to say the least)

The movie therefor gets impossible expectations to live up to.

I watch a copy of the movie sometimes dubbed in english with dutch subtitles and sometimes in italian subtitled in english. Theses manoevers often take place in the same very scene but nevertheless a quite interesting movie appears through the lines.

The initial car chase scene that takes 10 minutes or so, withsout any talking lines at all is a classic 5 star experinence, then the movie goes a bit up and down and loses pace here and there, but is never boring.

Bronson is like Bronson is most times. He's silent or mutters things or kill people. Terry Savalas on the other hand plays a thug boss that never shuts up.

Over all good movie in the carebean or i the US made of Italians but with anglo-american cast, but as good as the first car chase, no unforntually not.

And the music, god, the music, to say it again, Morricones best work. Ennio Morricone goes The Stooges and back
March 1, 2011
Awesome soundtrack, not so awesome movie
October 25, 2010
Ecellent Hitman Movie with Great Performances of Charles Bronson & Telly Savalas and a Stylish 70's Atmosphere & Soundtrack
½ October 14, 2010
Charles Bronson as a hit man that was backstabbed and left for dead by his girl and his friend. So revenge is coming upon Bronson's release from prison which won't be long thanks to his attorney. Italian made production that was shot in New Orleans and rocks a soundtrack from master Morricone.
October 14, 2010
Despite Ennio Morricone's excellent work on the score, this movie was impossible to like. I was in and out of sleep throughout most of it thanks to insanely boring performances, a ridiculously hard to follow story, and a massive sense of lameness throughout. This was not the good bad movie I was hoping for. It's just bad.
September 12, 2010
It's an Italian crime revenge grindhouse film that has Bronson as the lead what's not to like.
½ August 31, 2010
Charles Bronson is unsurprisingly terrific as a double crossed hitman hellbent on revenge. We are in the thick of the 70's here as evidenced by the funky main title sequence, muscle cars, fast camera zooms, and Morricone's fuzz rock score. A fun viewing thanks to Sergio Sollima's creative action sequences and Jill Ireland's body double.
June 18, 2010
This are movies that I remember seeing when I was a kid. The gritty crime movies of the 1970s. Many of them I still like, but this one only has a few good things in it. I am not a fan of Charles Bronson, never have been. He's very one-dimensional and boring. Jill Ireland was a terrible actress. Especially here. There is the lawyer character who has the worst moustache I've ever seen. It' almost not there it's so faint. Just terrible. The best thing about this movie by far is the music by Ennio Morricone which is awesome. Too bad about the rest.
May 5, 2010
Early Charles Bronson and Jill Ireland collaberation. Bronson, as usual, is fantastic. Sergio Sollima does a fantastic job of building tension throughout the entire film. The ending is a shocker and and goes down as one of the best in Eurocrime cinema. Hard to find movie but well worth your time.
April 21, 2009
I can't believe I didn't like this the first time I saw it; Savalas wants Mechanic Bronson to join the mob family and Ireland is the bitch who double crosses them all...Nice little car chase @ the beginning of this too
March 26, 2009
Brilliant car chase, a few really beatiful shots with odd editing, and Bronson, the main reason for watching this, is as handsom as ever. Lacking (to say the least) in script and character developement, though.
January 24, 2009
On one hand, it's Charles Bronson. On the other hand, HE RAPES HER TWICE.
January 15, 2009
Good opening car chase, the rest of the movie is pretty much shit. The last 5 minutes are almost ok. Should have just been called boring city.