Virginia City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Virginia City Reviews

December 29, 2014
141229: Some serious firepower here and I'm not talking about the weapons. Classic cinema featuring some of the biggest stars of the era. Slight flaws in this harsh (ask Cobby Gill Age 11), twisted tale but easy to overlook during the action packed struggle between The North, The South and a bunch of common criminals. The happy ending seems forced to me, a bit too dramatic, but I enjoyed this behind the front lines tale of the civil war. Now I'll be moving along, or backtracking I guess, to Dodge City (1939).
December 22, 2014
What sets this film apart is the casting of Humphrey Bogart and Randolph Scott in supporting roles along side Errol Flynn.
November 14, 2014
I really enjoyed this glance at the near-end of the Civil War by Michael Curtiz, who shows his directorial diversity with this historical Western. Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins, Randolph Scott and Humphrey Bogart are especially good in their roles. I haven't seen Dodge City--which this I've heard is the sequel for--but am looking forward to checking that film out, too. Highly recommended, especially for Errol Flynn and Civil War fans.
June 16, 2014
Vance Irby (Randolph Scott) is a Confederate officer tasked with sneaking a load of gold out of Virginia City and safely to the south. Kerry Bradford (Errol Flynn) is the Union spy trying to grab the gold for the north. Also on the trail of the gold is a Mexican bandit (a ridiculously miscast Humphrey Bogart). Saloon singer Julia Hayne (Miriam Hopkins) is torn between two loves--the south and Bradford. A solid western overall with some nice scenery (albeit in black and white).
November 4, 2013
All I want is a pocket full of rocks.

Union Officer Kerry Bradford escapes prison and encounters an eccentric woman from Virginia City, Nevada. He agrees to return to the city with her, but she will only allow him to follow her if he promises to not ask any questions. Shortly after arriving in her home town, he discovers that $5 million in gold is being sent though the town to save the confederacy. Will Bradford get involved in this money or will he stay under the radar with his new found friend?

"Are you going to visit your wife?"
"No. I was running away from her...and fast too."

Michael Curtiz, director of Casablanca, White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, The Adventures of Robin Hood, the Vagabond King, Yankee Doodle Dandee, and Captain Blood, delivers Virginia City. The storyline for this picture is pretty good with dynamic characters and a good ending (a bit sad, but good). The settings were very well done and the film had a war and western feel at the same time. The acting was very good and the cast includes Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins, Randolph Scott, Humphrey Bogart, and Alan Hale.

"I thought I'd let you work out your own punishment."
"That's amusing."

I DVR'd this picture last May off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) for two reasons: it is directed by one of my all time favorite directors, the great Michael Curtiz, and it also has one of the all time great actors, Errol Flynn. Curtiz took a huge risk of mixing the two genres, the war drama and the western action pictures, and pulled it off. Flynn does a great job of battling his demons while participating in great shootouts. This isn't my favorite film by either stakeholder, but it is an entertaining picture with great characters and a magnificent ending.

"Can't you see this is murder?"

Grade: B
July 13, 2012
One of Bogie's best (yet small) performances.
½ December 16, 2011
A fine cast though Bogart is terminally goofy in it. Still, it's an engaging film if slightly over-plotted.
July 4, 2011
This is a very good movie. Now, don't get me wrong. Errol Flynn isn't the best cowboy around, but he was pretty good in this film. If you guys haven't seen this film, you should. It's worth watching.
January 19, 2011
Virginia City is an interesting film. The comic relief in this movie generates a few laughs. Errol Flynn and Miriam Hopkins give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Michael Curtiz did an amazing job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the action and history. Virginia City is highly recommended.
May 26, 2010
This is a confused western. Bogart is in an odd role in a supporting effort. His portrayal of the bandito was hard to get on board with. Flynn was solid but the movie really got bogged down in parts and went on way too long.
March 4, 2010
No, Michael Curtiz's "Virginia City" is not as memorable as "Dodge City." Curtiz helmed "Dodge City"(1939) about the taming of that historic frontier railroad & cattle town with Errol Flynn triumphing over the elements of chaos. He refuses to pin on a lawman's badge until the villains kill a helpless little boy. Warner Brothers lensed "Dodge City" in Technicolor , whereas the Burbank studio filmed "Virginia City" in black & white. The characters in "Dodge City" possess greater charisma, including Bruce Cabot's villainous Jeff Surrett. Robert Buckner, who penned the screenplay for "Dodge City," also wrote "Virginia City." Furthermore, lenser Sol Polito photographed both epics, and his cinematography is outstanding, except that the gorgeous desert locations in "Virginia City" lanquish by comparison in black & white. Although Warner Brothers wanted to capitalize on the success of "Dodge City," the studio cut many corners on this quasi-sequel. Whereas "Dodge City" was a rip-snorting, larger-than-life western, "Virginia City" differs because the good guys and the bad guys behave differently in the last quarter-hour. The last 30-minutes are pretty contrived and the hero makes a moral decision that conflicts with his command imperatives as a Union officer. The resolution seems rather far-fetched and an effort to wrap up everything with a happily-ever after ending. Humphrey Bogart makes an uncharacteristic appearance as a mustached Mexican bandit who preys on our heroes. The first time that he encounters Kerry Bradford (Errol Flynn) on a stagecoach, he tries to rob him, but Bradford outsmarts him. Actually, Bogart is the only genuine villain in this Civil War era oater that takes place in Nevada. Flynn plays a resourceful U.S. Army officer Bradford who tangles with Randolph Scott's Confederate Army officer Vance Irby. They are sworn enemies from the outset with Flynn and his cohorts Alan Hale and Guinn 'Big Boy' Williams holed up in the notorious Libby Prison with Irby as a Confederate officer in charge who catches them trying to dig their way out. Later, they blow-up a powder magazine while tunneling to freedom when Irby is off elsewhere. Meantime, Captain Vance Irby (Randolph Scott of "She") and Julia Hayne (Miriam Hopkins of "Barbary Coast") devise an audacious scheme to transport $5-million in gold ingots from Virginia City to the South. President Jefferson Davis (Charles Middleton of "Flash Gordon") approves of the plan. Bradford and company set out to thwart Irby and Hayne. Although it is in black & white, Curtiz and Polito provide a good-looking picture and Flynn makes a first-class hero. Scott qualifies as a quasi-villain because Flynn and he wind up on the same side when Bogart's Hispanic outlaw attacks the wagon train led by Scott. The Confederates have cleverly concealed the gold in wagons with false bottoms. Naturally, Flynn falls in love with Hopkins. The action scenes are terrifi, especially when Murrell and his army surround the Southern wagon train in the desert!
½ January 30, 2010
Average western with Flynn strong in the lead, Bogie terribly miscast in one of his last supporting roles, High Sierra and the Maltese Falcon were only a year away. Would have been better if it was a half hour shorter.
½ August 26, 2009
Great action and Flynn's charm make this movie worth watching. The movie gets a little bogged down with the whole peace message and morals but other wise it's good.
June 6, 2009
Fun in parts (I was surprised to the see a stunt here lifted for Indiana Jones - which actually seemed a little ahead of its time in this context). Ultimately too long (2 hours), and Hopkins, much as i like her quirks and love her in comedies, is a little tough to follow, motivation-wise. Poor Bogart makes Charlton Heston look good playing a Mexican. Pair this up with The Return of Doctor X for a long and curious evening
½ September 29, 2008
Pretty solid oater from Flynn. I never fully buy Flynn in the western, he's just too classy, but this one does the trick.
½ August 30, 2008
A quality Western with a star struck cast that winds up to become story of reconciliation between the North and the South. Lots of action. The story holds up well considering the movie is over 68 years old.
June 15, 2008
Quality film held up by its excellent cast. Flynn is very good, and Miriam Hopkins, as always, gives a wonderful, fun performance.
March 15, 2008
With thi smovie it is a great cast, if you can buy Bogart as a bandito, although I didn't really like Hopkins that much.
March 10, 2008
A great cast, if you can buy Bogart as a bandito, although I didn't really like Hopkins that much (but I guess it wasn't really the type of role for Olivia de Havilland)