Vision: From the Life of Hildegard von Bingen Reviews

• Mar 03, 2018

incredible film...must see for women of faith, feminists and history buffs

incredible film...must see for women of faith, feminists and history buffs

• Apr 30, 2013

From what I have read about Hildegard von Bingen, she was a true visionary in her time. I was really looking forward to this film and learning more about her. While it is superbly acted, the film was surprisingly hollow. There seemed to be so much missing that would have given a better depth to the main character. A real letdown.

• Jul 29, 2012

very interesting and beautiful scenery

very interesting and beautiful scenery

• May 28, 2012

Very complicated movie. Good to learn about the live if this composer. For many years I have listen her compositions.

• Apr 11, 2012

A brilliant drama that captures the soul of medieval German monasticism.

A brilliant drama that captures the soul of medieval German monasticism.

• Mar 28, 2012

Hildegard von Bingen was a fascinating woman, and this movie shows some of her character, but of course this is life is little more than fiction with some biographic facts -- but it does have some of her music.

• Dec 01, 2011

Long an admirer of her music, I was naturally predisposed either to love or to hate any dramatic film presenting itself as an overview of the life and work of Hildegard von Bingen. I'm pleased to say that this one moved me to the former. Of course, two hours traffic of no stage (or screen) can truly do justice to so remarkable a polymath; but the beautiful cinematography, eloquent screenplay, heartfelt performances, and gently wry humour here combine to offer an admirable and heartfelt attempt -- one which hopefully will move viewers to explore for themselves more of the legacy of this extraordinary woman!

• Oct 30, 2011

I suspect that there was much more to Hildegard von Bingen's life than her relationships with the other nuns. But I didn't find it "a profoundly inspirational portrait of a woman who has emerged from the shadows of history as a forward-thinking and iconoclastic pioneer of faith, change and enlightenment" like the studio's press release said about it.

• Sep 02, 2011

Having experienced the "God told me" card as a manipulative tool way too many times in my younger years, my eyes rolled every time Hildegard received a "vision" that promoted her desires and authority in the face of resistance from her superiors. The deathbed scene, where she is miraculously restored to health upon receiving word that the Bishop granted a request, despite the disapproval of local clerical authority, was a classic eye-roller. Even so, I found the portrayal of medieval clerical life interesting.

• Aug 23, 2011

German biopic of the famous nun Hidegard von Bingen (1098-1179) who, among many other things, composed some of the earliest music we have written by a known author. Great movie if you like the middle ages, though methinks everyone's a bit too clean...