Vision: From the Life of Hildegard von Bingen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vision: From the Life of Hildegard von Bingen Reviews

½ December 7, 2010
Biopic on the life of the fascinating 12th century Bendectine nun who saw visions of God and was also a composer, philosopher, polymath, and a strong-willed woman who often butted heads with the Church's male hierarchy. Amazing in it's ability to draw you into its now alien world and get you involved with clerical politics and the slow, quiet rhythms of cloistered life.
December 7, 2010
It moved me to tears.
November 27, 2010
Hildegard comes to life in a pitch perfect performance by Barbara Sukowa. Margarethe von Trotta emphasizes Hildgard's bold stands against the male dominated cloister society without slighting the religious.
November 24, 2010
Lovely and evocative tale of the famed 12th century German nun who was ahead of her time, claiming to receive visions from God. It's a period piece that doesn't feel like a period piece - lyrical, reverent portrait of a woman who was a pioneer for women in the church.
½ November 20, 2010
I like to think about movies as if they were books or magazines. Some are easy to consume, some are hard and some are just entertaining. My favorite type of movies would be tabloids and lad-mags - essentially anything that can be read in the bathroom.

Vision would be an opinion on Faust. Not even Goethe's original but rather the analysis performed by some crazy scholar from Stuttgart.

Vision is a pretty good movie but not something to watch on a Saturday night. It's dry and complicated plus it's in German. So I not only had to pay attention but also read, two things that I don't do particularly well.

The film deals with a nun that was way ahead of her time. In some ways you could say she was an early feminist. She was not fearful, she was independent and was interested and knowledgeable.

Of course this meant she had to fight everybody, starting with the far more retrograde priests and bishops around her.

It's truly amazing that it's news that the Pope has spoken in favor of condoms - in the bloody 21st century - and we see this as progress.

In the meantime, a nun in medieval Germany was teaching, learning and admiring Islamic libraries 1000 years ago.

I bet she would have laughed at creationists.

Good film albeit the academic undertones.
November 17, 2010
I understand this is playing at the Laemmle in Pasadena. I would love to see it, but will probably have to wait until it's available on Netflix.
November 13, 2010
definitely checking out this movie!
November 12, 2010
Exquisite film, directed by the great Margarethe von
Trotta with superb performances by all. . Hildegard of Bingen was a tour de force of prophecy, healing, and herbalism who challenged the church's social structure at a time when heresy was a life-threatening endeavor.Still, her devotion to nature and its' healing aspects won favor amongst her community to which she gained many followers. Hildegard of Bingen was a fascinating and courageous woman and "Vision" is a touching tribute to her legacy.
½ November 11, 2010
One of the best historical dramas I have seen since the great classics made for TV, like "I Claudius" .
November 5, 2010
Going to see it tonight,let you know how I liked it tomorrow.
½ October 23, 2010
"Vision" starts on December 31, 999 with a group of people fearing the end of the world with the Y1K virus, huddled together praying, expecting not to wake up in the morning.(I have heard of people who had hangovers so massive they almost wish they hadn't woken up but that's something else entirely.) They get a pleasant surprise when they do.

Into this world of ignorance walks Hildegard von Bingen(Barbara Sukowa) who at the age of eight is given over to the care of a cloister. 30 years later and she is about to be appointed magistra but claims ill health and anyway her fellow nuns should vote for her which they do almost unanimously. Along with her spiritual duties, she becomes interested in medicine and studies how music can also be used to heal the body. And then the visions kick in which she confesses to Brother Volmar(Heino Ferch), resulting with her being threatened with the charge of heresy.

Written and directed by Margarethe von Trotta, "Vision" is an engaging look at an amazing woman who was way ahead of her time, depicted not as a saint, but as a flawed human being. With the exception of the Arabic world, the Church had most of the accumulated learning which Hildegard used her skills to negotiate access to for her and her nuns. With this learning, she started the slow walk out of the dark ages into a new world of knowledge. And part of that comes with having respect for and knowledge of the body.(Unless you're getting off on it, I have never understood self-flagellation.)
October 17, 2010
I used one of her images for the tattoo on my back. nothing religious about it - just a lovely image and now... 12th century mystics are ... suddenly interesting...?
October 12, 2010
Reminds me a bit of Joan of Arc and Agora, which were both films regarding passionate, courageous women willing to stand against great adversity for what they believed in. I'm very intrigued.
October 7, 2010
I went to Goa awhile back, and all of the restaurants "specialized" in Mexican - Indian - Pizza - Italian - Etc Etc. This nun reminds me of that: "Benedictine nun was a Christian mystic, composer, philosopher, playwright, poet, naturalist, scientist, physician, herbalist and ecological activist." I think the best word is "generalist."
½ October 3, 2010
This is a beautiful film in German with English subtitles. It offers a view of medieval life of nuns - with a feminist perspective, though I would say in the best sense. Barbara Sukowa is brilliant. As I have been saying, Hildegard was a Renaissance woman in the Middle Ages. Not a lot of insight on her mystical experiences, however. At the end, you will like Hildegard of Bingen even as you question some of the customs that writer/director Von Trotta chooses to include.
August 3, 2010
I'd call this movie "well-crafted".
All people involved did their jobs well ... actors, director, ...

The script, however, lacks a bit of a real "story" that could fill the whole of the movie - a general problem with biographical movies in my opinion.

So only 3 out of 5 stars.