Visiting Hours - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Visiting Hours Reviews

April 5, 2012
obvious halloween 2 rip but it seems good
½ March 21, 2012
I was really suprised how good of a movie Visiting Hours was.I loved all of the twists & turns there were.Everytime I thought something was gonna happen they changed it up & something else happened.This movie constantly kept me on the edge of my seat & that's what I enjoyed about it.I'd recommend watching Visting Hours on a dark rainy night (Halloween perhaps?) or at least watching it once if nothing else
½ March 16, 2012
Its not great but worth a watch for slasher fans of the 80's.
½ March 14, 2012
Better than average 80's slasher flick with great performances, especially by Michael Ironside.
December 17, 2011
Freaky little slasher flick..
October 7, 2011
Essentially a Canadian rip-off of Halloween 2 with its hospital setting, Visiting Hours is an at-times entertaining slasher film, but it drags a bit, partly because it is too long and partly because it gets too caught up in its drama about a reporter who champions women's rights and rape victims. The film never seems to know whether it wants to be a serious film about trauma and survivors or a mindless slasher film. Performances by Michael Ironside and William Shatner bolster the film somewhat, but it is ultimately dragged down by this conflict between tones and genres. Still, if you are an 80s slasher fan, then it is a must see...
October 6, 2011
Visiting Hours is a terrible piece of crap. I thought that maybe a movie with the combination of Shatner and Michael Ironside would have been cooler than this early 80's dud. Never mind sedatives as you can check out Visiting Hours.
½ October 1, 2011
This movie has William Shatner in it. But it's not as good as Star Trek 3 or that motorcycle movie with Andy Griffith. one thing it does have going for it is a murderer who dresses up like Squigy from Laverne and Shirley. The man character lady is supposed to be a feminist or something but I guess people were so sexist in the seventies that now she just seems like any lady would be now. I wouldn't have walked out of the theater with this one. One and a half stars.
½ September 27, 2011
A slasher in a hospital setting is a fabulous environment for a stalk and stab flick. "Halloween II" proved it so Canadian producers Pierre David and Claude HÃ (C)roux decided to follow suit and make their own brand of 'killer in a hospital' film. Even with a good budget, eye catching poster artwork and a solid cast "Vistiting Hours" still manages to disappoint this hardcore horror fanatic, and many others, due to not going the extra distance to truly make a memorable example of the subgenre.

The beautiful Lee Grant is a TV newscaster that's had enough of violence against women and makes her opinion known on national television. This attracts the attention of a crazed lunatic (Michael Ironside) who gets his kicks from hurting and killing lovely ladies. After a failed attempt to kill her in her home, he decides to follower to the hospital where he fails again, again... and again. Seriously, how many chances does this psycho need?

What disappoints most horror fans is that this film fails to meet expectations that the entire picture is going to to take place in the hospital with the killer stalking his victims. "Halloween II" this is not. Our killer visits the hospital on numerous occasions (mostly resulting in failed attempts to kill our heroine) and he almost always manages to escape to scare prostitutes and stalk beautiful nurses in their homes.

To be honest I would have preferred it to take place more within the hospital walls as it does get a little ludicrous with the number of times killer attempts to murder our heroine and then gets away. I swear this hospital has the SHITTIEST security of all time! The film also fails to go the extra mile when it comes to suspense and, of course, on screen gore. I'm not asking for both... just one or the other and "Vistiting Hours" fails on these two basic ingredients that are a must in the Slasher genre.

The cast is TOP NOTCH for such a genre film. Lee Grant is a fabulous actress (an academy award winner) and she brings a sense of grace to a genre that is usually littered with amateur actors. Michael Ironside (one of my all time favorite character actors) is majorly creepy as our psychopath. He always plays great villains and he got this role for his memorable performance in "Scanners", which was produced by the same fellas behind this. Hell we are even given a hammed down appearance by William Shatner. I never thought I would see Captain Kirk in a slasher film, that's for sure.

The solid cast makes "Visiting Hours" worth visiting. It just lacks some of the essential ingredients that slasher fans crave, notably suspense and/or blood. The plot can get a wee bit ridiculous at times and the final confrontation with our killer is disappointing but horror fans have seen plenty worse slasher plots, trust me. "Visiting Hours" is definitely worth a onetime watch.
½ September 8, 2011
Not even Michael Ironside as a first-class psycho or William Shatner as, well...William Shatner can save this so-so thriller from mediocrity.
July 31, 2011
I didn't know there was a "video nasties" list, much less that this was on it.
July 28, 2011
obvious halloween 2 rip but it seems good
½ July 25, 2011
A few good moments - but mostly a little under-par. How it ever made it onto the Video Nasties list however, I have no idea! Just shows how silly all that business was...
½ June 16, 2011
How is this film not famous???? Those slasher fans looking for a hardcore boobs and blood festival are going to be severely disappointed. Visiting Hours is loaded with Halloween type scares and suspense with good acting, very nicely done writing, and William Shatner awesomeness. Michael Ironside plays the villain, and Colt Hawker deserves a place in the slasher hall of fame. He's very demented and brutal, yet if you saw him walking on the street, you wouldn't notice anything weird about him. He hates women and often brutalizes them and sometimes murders them when provoked, while taking pictures of them dying. Ironside's performance is sadistic and frightening, just the way it should be played. shatner drops his usual "Weird style...of delivering...dialogue" for a more realistic approach and he certainly seals the deal. Lee Grant makes a great final girl, even though she really isn't a "final girl". She's just the girl who confronts the killer. There's also nurse who gets stalked by Ironside after helping Grant. Filled with scares, suspense, and brutality, Visiting Hours is a fantastic lost horror gem that manages to be better than some films that got lots of recognition (Friday the 13th)
½ June 9, 2011
Surprisingly, I had not scene this horror/thriller before, although I vividly remember the "hospital windows making a skull" poster, which of course scared me as a kid! The movie has a strange but shallow set-up that is centered around the hospital... some scenarios working better than others, but at least it plays for suspense instead of gore. Lee Grant is pretty good (did she ever change her appearance or hair?). The hospital setting could have been used to greater extent, and of course reeks of the skeleton crew Haddonfield Hospital where no one stays and no one works. I'd be up for a reboot of this.
½ January 11, 2011
An average horror movie, predictable, and pretty boring for the majority of the film.
December 31, 2010
This Canadian crapfest is best viewed as a powerful argument against socialism. ("In a world...where high taxes cannot pay for more than one lazy security guard outside your hospital room after you've been repeatedly attacked by a maniac... and with an entire police force with less combined brain power than the local hooker...") Highly recommended for Tea Party meetings and rallies against Obamacare Death Panels.
½ October 23, 2010
This definitely had a made-for-TV vibe, though it has far more violence than would've been allowed in a made-for-TV movie back then. I think it's mostly the cast and cinematography.

Ironside is definitely the best part of this movie. Also, his leather tank top.
½ August 19, 2010
Yeah, it has its slow moments and other issues, but I found Michael Ironside a Truly Creepy Villain and that alone makes me recommend this movie. Not entirely gory(it has fair amount of blood) it is pretty mean spirited enough to turn off some viewers.
Maybe if it was a bit shorter and a bit gorier it might have had more of an impact of Slasher fans. Nevertheless I recommened it over most slashers that came out in the 90s and beyond mainly cuz it doesnt have a bunch of teeny boppers in it or a soundtrack by MATCHBOX 20 or some LAME NU METAL BAND.