Viva la muerte - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Viva la muerte Reviews

January 3, 2016
Imagine if you will, a recut of Pan's Labyrinth. With all the fantasy scenes cut out and replaced with scenes from a snuff film directed by Andy Warhol.
½ May 29, 2010
MY FAVORITE MOVIE EVER Arrabal is a genius! just for the way many subjects, without being frontal all the time, manage to take all the place they need to take anyways. Something a lot of movies lack, not taking your audience for idiots who need be told what's what every two seconds in words or they get lost.
April 11, 2010
One of the most violent films I've seen in a long time, and also one of the most mesmerizing. The film's reflection on damaged family life is surprisingly refreshing. The boy who plays the main character does a perfect job. The look of the film is just simply perfect and the film's ending is unforgettable. This is a must see. If you loved El Topo, this film explores similar territory. Check this out!
½ February 22, 2010
Surreal and experimental movie about the Spanish civil war. Lots of unexplained and rather disturbing imagery, and a haunting soundtrack, but not as great as Jodorowki's work which this reminds me heavily of (and who made a movie about the same story called "Fando y Lis").
November 2, 2009
Early seventies Spanish surrealism. Not bad, but a bit shallow and deliberately outre. However... it's only 90 minutes, so it doesn't outlast its welcome. One for fans of Jodorowsky and Wojciech Has.
October 10, 2008
This film did disturbed me with the animal cruelty in it i did see it as a alright film but it is not for the weak, it could of been better as a surreal film but with the cruielty in it, it did put me off if you blank it out it is a very good film so all up it is a good film minus the animal cruielty.
½ October 8, 2008
bizarre and shock-value images express notions of sex, violence and death deformed by repressive and oppressive religion and politics. surely lacking in subtlety here, and comparable to jodorowsky films though more succinct and powerful.
October 2, 2008
An interesting film but nothing spectualar. A few scenes really stuck out like the cow scene but overrall I think Arrabal's commentary of the Spanish civil war comes up short of being great. Still worth a watch for some cool imagery.
September 6, 2008
Non vi immaginate l'ennesimo film sulla guerra civile spagnola e il franchismo. Arrabal rappresenta l'universo dell'infanzia di un bambino (lui?) proprio nel periodo della dittatura, attraverso immagini di vita reale e del suo inconscio, mischiando le due parti magistralmente con metafore forti e decisamente macabre.
September 5, 2008
m'saoule la psychanalyse.
August 26, 2008
it's interesting enough to keep you watching, but the poor execution of the "surrealist" cut-ins really detracts from the overall experience
½ August 24, 2008
This film ain't for everyone, really. It's a very disturbed and surreal feature that will make most people uncomfortable, but I think its imagery is beautiful. Definitely suffers from a low budget (who the hell would want to fund something like this?) but Arrabal pulls it off.
½ August 2, 2008
the director pouring out his personal drama on poor viewers in some of the sickest ways i've seen in a movie.
½ August 1, 2008
Surrealistic, low budget. Ok as a cult movie but not very artistic. Better than loads of other films in the same niche though
½ July 13, 2008
Too many animal killings. That doesn't make the film worse, though.
½ June 25, 2008
I can't pretend to have understood all that was going on in this, or arrabal's other flick, I will walk like a crazy horse, but the man does provide shocking/beautiful imagery in bucketloads.

I love surreal cinema and I wish arrabal produced more films. Same goes for jodorowsky.

This is a fine effort in surreal cinema and it is not to be missed!
June 18, 2008
el topo this is not .... but it does have its charm... way ahead of its time visually mixing film and video....has large slow gaps where you just want to fast forward ... but worth a look if you like surrealism
April 21, 2008
Some truly horrific imagery. I can imagine the actors saying "You want me to do what? That's messed up." Or "That's weird. But we could make it sick if we do this..." Not sure what's being accomplished beyond that.
January 18, 2008
Quite good. Better than Jodorowsky's work. Neo-surrealist critique of fascism.