Viva Maria! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Viva Maria! Reviews

September 3, 2016
Brigitte Bardot looks stunning (as usual) in this passable but unremarkable film that seems like a mere French shot at a Hollywoodian movie in Panavision, with superlative production values and a harmless, slapstick sense of humor that sometimes borders on the surreal.
½ September 30, 2013
Brigitte Bardot and Jeanne Moreau are burlesque performers of a sort in the old west and get aught up in a south of the border revolution. The film was written and directed by Louis Malle, so there is a bit of a political subtext, but its mostly all for fun, watching proper Moreau and Bardot fighting the revolution with frocks and parasols. George Hamilton is also part of the revolution. Silly and quite enjoyable.
September 27, 2013
One of Louis Malle's strangest, most eccentric films, this satire of political revolutions is visually spectacular, pairing France's two most popular stars: Brigitte Bardot and Jeanne Moreau.
hunterjt13
½ January 15, 2013
After the death of her father, a daughter of a revolutionary joins a band of traveling musicians and actors before leading a revolution of her own.
The best that I can guess about this film is that it's a satire of revolutions or revolutionary films. Many of the scenes are so over-blown and beyond practical conception that it's impossible to take them seriously. However, I can't be sure. The satire is far from clear. What is clear is how utterly annoying everything about this film is. The characters are broadly drawn types, the situations are ludicrous, and the attempts at comic bits are as bad as anything I've seen. I found myself counting down the seconds this film had left, and watching it became a chore.
Overall, I hated this film even though there might be a mystery satire somewhere beneath all the bullshit.
½ August 18, 2011
"Viva Maria!" is in no doubt a bizarre movie, but is still one that I enjoyed. Two women named Maria (Bardot and Moreau) accidentally create the sriptease in early 1900's Mexico. They create a sensation, and while traveling to another venue to perform, Maria II falls for a Spanish revolution leader (Hamilton). When he dies, she swears to continue his work. The Maria's end up being quite the leaders, and are treated like saints. This movie was listed as a comedy, but I didn't laugh once. The other genre listed said action/adventure, and thankfully that was right. This film is pretty stupid, but when you're watching a movie, you have to look at other aspects besides art. I was entertained, and that's all that matters. "Viva Maria!" is one of those crowd-pleasing movies, that will never be a classic. But on the other hand, is a great movie to see if you wanna see French bombshells Brigitte Bardot and Jeanne Moreau together. No, these are not their greatest performances, but Moreau adds class to this movie, and Bardot adds fun, with all of her shooting skills ... This is a strange movie plot wise, because as the film goes on you realize, "why do they create the striptease?" Soon, it becomes a random scene, and I think the movie could have been better off had they ditched it and just had the Maria's be Spanish Revolution leaders. Oh well. "Viva Maria!" is pretty dumb, but a good time waster.
March 29, 2011
Viva Maria (1965)

We've been told that famous French sex kitten Brigitte Bardot never made a film in America. However, that's really untrue. She made Viva Maria on location in Mexico and that's in America. This French made western comedy was directed by Louis Malle.

It's hard to believe that this was considered very racy and actually was one of the movies instrumental in starting the whole MPAA rating code for movies. It's hardly worth a PG-13 now. Although this movie was very popular around the world, (European Westerns were very popular at the time) but it wasn't so popular here in the States, and was even banned in some towns probably more for being anti-church and capitalist than anything sexual.

Maria I (Bardot) is a young girl in Ireland and Britain who helped her father make and explode bombs on the british. They later moved to Central America and slowly moved up to Mexico before soldiers killed her father. Maria walks into a circus and meets Maria II (Jeanne Moreau) who is a singer and dancer in the circus. The two of them team up and become an act.

Maria I accidentally tears some of her clothes and becomes the inventor of the strip tease. Maria II meets a young revolutionary, Flores (George Hamilton) who gets her involved in the Mexican revolution. Maria I is quick to help out. Together they incite the poor to fight a local dictator.
January 5, 2011
The two stars are only and only for Bridget Bardot otherwise film is pretty lame.
November 14, 2010
Though the plot takes some painfully stupid twists and idiotic character actions to get from point A to point B and drag things out a bit longer, it's still a lot of OTT fun and has Brigitte Bardot and Jeanne Moreau as its burlesque showgirl revolutionaries.

That wonderful 'TCM Imports' promo spot includes a few clips from this movie, which is what made me want to see it.
½ November 6, 2010
An overall entertaining action comedy. Some times it's over the top, and some times it's so low as possible, but there's no boring moment in this movie, and I must say I love watching Brigitte Bardot bowing up thing.
½ October 2, 2010
Malle's odd mix of strip tease and political revolution is inconsistent and so unrealistic it is most likely an insult to true revolutions. Yet, taken as a farce, it manages to be entertaining and refreshing thanks to its highly likeable leads. Bardot, whose astonishing beauty is at last matched by her bold performance, steals the show - no small feat, considering co-star Jeanne Moreau is, as usual, solid.
July 7, 2010
Un film qui devait être très tendance en 1965 mais qui a très mal vieilli. On s'ennuie ferme, Bardot joue très mal et Moreau ne sauve pas la mise. Même Louis Malle a fait des films alimentaires. Bof.
½ October 9, 2009
Birgitte Bardot was France's greatest contribution to the 20th century.
April 11, 2009
yet another classic from Malle. Bardot and Moreau work perfectly together as they serenade the european countryside. at the end there is a surprising war scene; seeing Brigitte throwing hand grenades is disturbing to say the least.
October 31, 2008
Viva Bardot! ..Viva Moreau! ..Viva Maria...Viva Striptease!! hahha :))
what a great film....;)
½ October 28, 2008
Alot of fun. A tale about how dangerous it is to take off yoru clothes.
October 8, 2008
A weird movie full of stereotypes of south americans. I didn't know what to make of Bardot playing an Irish woman who didn't speak English, Jeanne Moreau "making love" to a man while he was chained to cross of wood on his shoulders; or Bardot's initiation into the "l'amour" via five men, coming back covered with bruises.
½ October 5, 2008
Three greats, Malle, Moreau, and Bardot. It was great to see this type of buddy film having two women in the lead rather than two men. Although this picture is sexy (with two talented and beautiful leads), it still stays classy and fun. We see Malle's take on western, and he really holds true to the genre with adding his own spice to it.
September 11, 2008
Brigitte Bardot as part showgirl,part gun toting revolutionary who needs more than just prit stick and bluetack to keep her stage gear in check?Yes Please!
½ August 18, 2008
Funny and Bardot/Moreau couldn't be hotter.