Voices From Beyond (Voci dal profondo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Voices From Beyond (Voci dal profondo) Reviews

½ March 12, 2016
Voices From Beyond is very much a murder mystery with sprinkles of the paranormal and aspects of horror mixed in to give it a wider audience. As a murder mystery the film plays quite well. Where it tends to flouder is in the paranormal and horror aspects that are thrown in without really needing to be. As much as Fulci likes to have zombies, Voices From Beyond didn't need them... and yet there they are.
This is not Lucio Fulci's greatest piece of film but it's not something that should be thrown away and buried like a dead carcass. While it is a mixed bag... there are still many good elements to be enjoyed. And as much as the horror elements were pointless to the film... I still enjoyed them.
½ November 3, 2012
A bit inferior to previous Fulci films..
½ February 8, 2012
A bit inferior to previous Fulci films..
January 12, 2012
Film curio for Fulci completists only. The Italian horror legend directs a strange mystery about a father who asks his daughter to find out who murdered him. The hauntingly dull atmosphere is occasionally livened up by some pointless scenes of nudity and excessive putrefication but, other than a brief cameo and an unnecessary zombie attack (nightmare sequence), this will disappoint most fans.
September 13, 2010
I actually enjoyed this movie a lot. I am a big Lucio Fulci fan and this has a really hilarious (only to people like me who hate children) start to it. Much of the dialogue is also unintentionally funny like many overdubbed Italian movies. It's definitely a lesser known Fulci film, but I'd recommend it.
August 22, 2009
I like Fulci films of the 70's and early 80's (basically through Manhattan Baby) but for some reason from his dismal fantasy epic Conquest in 1985 on his films are, for the most part, bad. Voices From Beyond isn't necessarily bad but it is very passable.

This film, much like Fulci's TV Movie House of Clocks, really acts like an Italian Twilight Zone episode stretched out to feature length done Fulci style. Here we get a very rich family whose father dies a mysterious death. The father talks to himself (even though he's dead) throughout most of the film trying to figure out his murderer. His favorite daughter (who's the same actress from the film House of Clocks...and a fine looker I might add) visits for the funeral and her dead father communicates to her that he's been murdered and wants her to find the killer.

The story (written by Fulci) is a tired weak formula and overall this really feels like a TV made film. It wasn't made for TV but it does have the same feel as House of Clocks. Also like many of Fulci's later works this movie was filmed with soft lenses giving the film a white hue, or a hazy look. I often hate this soft lens look that dominated Italian cinema in the late 80's and early 90's. Sometimes it just cheapens the look of a film for me. Fulci no doubt was trying to give his films "dreamy" or "surreal" look but it just gets old. Unless you are a die-hard Fulci fanatic, I would think twice about paying the high price for this on DVD (especially since now it is out-of-print). Though Image Entertainment does a good job at mastering this little seen film they failed to deliver any special features what-so-ever. I personally just found the film to be kind of blah and it lacks the grander look and appeal of his early films that even the weaker Manhattan Baby contained.

On a side note, horror fans might find it of interest that Fulci thanks Clive Barker in the end credits.
½ August 14, 2008
a disappointing Fulci movie
May 31, 2008
Just shy of being a legitimate return to form for Lucio Fulci. An original plot, some great gore, and even a zombie attack thrown in for good measure.

Fans of Fulci's late 70's/early 80's masterpieces will find a lot to like here.
April 29, 2008
Movie made for TV by Italian horros master Lucio Fulci.
It so happened to be that the copy I had was a dubbed version, so it brought the whole thing down a little.
But even so I must say that this is the worst Fulci film I've ever seen.
½ April 23, 2008
A mediocre tale of the supernatural by Lucio Fulci, spiced-up with some gore and nudity.
March 7, 2008
Advertised as a horror, this really is more of a supernatural detective story. And not a very good one too. Nasty shots of a decomposing body is thrown in at random in a boring murder tale with soap-opera soundtrack. I think I'll go and drown my sorrows in The House by the Cemetery instead.
½ December 27, 2007
fulci in the modern cinema
½ June 24, 2007
Fulci's second-to-last film comes pretty close to the quality of his best work, but he's let down by some terrible acting. The zombie attack sequence proves that Fulci was still capable of creating memorable horror set-pieces.
May 7, 2007