Voices From Mariel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Voices From Mariel Reviews

December 12, 2013
This documentary really opened my eyes to what so many Cubans went through to come to America. It was amazing to see how brave so many were to leave their country in order to find the freedom they were denied by Castro. I learned so much that I'd never known before and would definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in learning about this mass exodus. These first hand accounts from the Marielitos were very touching, descriptive, and informative.
December 12, 2013
This documentary was eye opening for me. It was crazy to find out what life was like when Castro was dictating. Listening to the stories of those who made it out of cuba is very inspiring.
December 11, 2013
I thought that this was a great documentary and you could see the passion in the movie. It was a great story and great way to realize how some of us have it in the United States. I really recommend this movie
December 9, 2013
Voices From Mariel was a very inspirational movie. It was a great depiction of what happened.
December 9, 2013
Voices From Mariel is a very strong film. This documentary really keeps the viewers attention. This is overall a great film and very insightful.
December 9, 2013
"Voices From Mariel" is an amazing documentary. I am usually not a fan of documentaries because they tend to drag on and not be very interesting (in my opinion.) But "Voices From Mariel" has the viewer hooked every second of it. The documentary is about Mariel. Mariel isn't someone's name it's the name of the port in Cuba that 125,000 people left from in boats. The people' who left Cuba, left in the hopes of living a better life. Most people left behind almost all of their belongings. The hardest thing for all the people who fled from Mariel was leaving family members behind. Dr. Jose García is the lead/ main person in this documentary. When he was just 13 years old he left through Mariel. The documentary consists of Dr. Jose García's journey as a Marielitos from then to present day. You learn first hand about people whose lives were drastically changed for the better from Mariel. As well as what happened and what life was like for the people who didn't leave through Mariel and stayed in Cuba. Seeing Dr. Jose García back where he began his life was very interesting. You could tell that it was hard for him to leave because of all of the family he had to leave behind. But he definitely did succeed in the hopes of living a better life. Before this documentary I didn't know about what happened at the Port of Mariel. I am so glad that I now know about it. I learned about the history of Cuba and the some of the events that took place. But the most influential part of this documentary to me was when I heard the "Voices From Mariel." When you watch the documentary you find out that "Voices From Mariel" isn't a person its people in general. The people who left and the people who stayed both have amazing stories. I would/will recommend this documentary to anyone. Like I said I am usually not a fan of documentaries but this one is worth watching over and over again. Each time I believe you will take something new out of it. No matter what you wont regret watching it. When I looked up "Voices From Mariel" online after I watched it I found out that it won the Coveted Audience Award at Gasparilla International Film Festival. Hopefully that is only the beginning of the awards this documentary will receive.
-DL
December 6, 2013
We enjoyed this movie very much, especially the fact that it was told through the voices of different people. Voices from Mariel was an eye-opening story into the lives of the Cuban people. This movie was very insightful and informative. It taught us that we should be thankful for what we have. Sincerely, Brooke Barfield and Alex Watson
April 24, 2013
This documentary opened my eyes to not only the Cuban culture but the mindset back then in 1980 when al these events took place.
April 24, 2013
This documentary is a truly touching and informative look at a young boy's personal experience as he and his family attempted to leave Cuba's dictatorship in 1980. I am not someone who can sit down and watch many documentaries, but this one definitely captivated and kept my attention throughout. I highly suggest for students, as well as anyone else interested in different cultures.
April 19, 2013
In the documentary Jose Caballero said, "Freedom has a price." This quote encompasses the struggle that over a hundred thousand families took to find freedom and hope in a new world untainted by communist control. The film takes you inside Cuba during a revolutionary struggle that lead to ten thousand plus people to seek political asylum. Jose Garcia takes you inside the country on a secret personal journey to relive his early childhood memories and show how the events and history of the Mariel Boat Lift happened. He incorporates not only his story, but those of several other who took part in such a huge portion of Cuban history. The movie highlights the struggle to live under communist control, but also places on spot light on a country whose history is not often taught inside classrooms. This documentary is truly a must see!
December 12, 2012
I really enjoyed this documentary. I had no idea the struggles that Cubans really went through in order to flee their country. My Spanish professor, Dr. Garcia actually went back to Cuba in order to do this documentary and was followed the entire time by Cuban officials, but he did not let them intimidate him. I commend his bravery and would recommend this documentary to everybody. I really think they did a good job.
December 11, 2012
In middle school, my best friend's family had immigrated from Cuba and had told me stories of all of their hardships. I don't think that I ever fully understood what they went through until I watched Voices from Mariel. Now, more than ever, I understand why they sacrificed their whole lives to come to America and be free. This documentary does a great job of showing how much we as Americans take for granted. It is also crazy to think that maybe Dr. Garcia crossed paths with my friend's family. This is a very informing documentary that I recommend to all.
December 10, 2012
Watching this documentary was definitely an eye opening experience for me. To see how so many Cubans literally risked their lives in the pursuit of liberty was incredibly overwhelming. Dr. Garcia tells a wonderful first-hand story of his life when he was just a 13 year old boy living in Communist Cuba and the story of the famous "Mariel Boatlift'" With interviews from the survivors themselves, viewers truly witness the horrors and hard life of Communist Cuba. This is a remarkable documentary.
December 10, 2012
Watching this documentary lets the viewer truly understand what the Cuban people had to go through to find freedom. Garcia gracefully tells the story of the Port of Mariel as a Cuban man himself. Hearing the stories gives huge insight into what they really experienced during Castro's reign. I would recommend this documentary to anyone.
December 10, 2012
Watching Voices From Mariel is an eye-opening experience. We are blessed with so many opportunities in America that it is hard to grasp that just 90 miles away, such horrible events were taking place. This documentary is very informative about the revolution that took place in Cuba and has given me a new persepective on what it is like to live somewhere with such strong limitations. Also, this documentary gives touching stories that are worth hearing, from those who were a part of this revolution. I admire Dr. Garcia's bravery to return to Cuba after 30 years of leaving. Everyone should watch this documentary.
½ December 10, 2012
Overall it was pretty good for a documentry. It really opened me up to a period of history that I didn't know very much about. Some of the interviews were very touching. As a whole the movie was very intriguing.
½ December 10, 2012
This movie was very informative about the mass exodus from Cuba in 1980. The back stories are captivating. The footage and information from present day Cuba is heart wrenching. Definitely worth watching.
December 9, 2012
Voices From Mariel provides incredible insight to one of Cuba's most known exoduses. The documentary is historically very interesting; however, what makes the documentary so compelling is its emotional appeal. One scene in particular, Dr. Garcia reveals his own overwhelmed emotions. This captivating pathos appeal causes the documentary to not only be seen and heard, but to be felt as well. The stories told become relatable and personal. Voices From Mariel is composed with great craft and style; but most importantly, Voices From Mariel is composed with a personal knowledge of the crocodile island that is too deep for words.
December 9, 2012
Voices from Mariel is truly an inspiring movie. It shows the true colors of Cuban and American history, and how so many Cubans became such a vital and large part of American society. Looking past the emotional and rough experience of having to drop ones whole life and head towards a foreign country, the ones who left have truly made the absolute best of the situation, and it is incredible to see. I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like to have experienced living in Cuba during the 80's and the emotional and physical journey they had to go through to reach freedom; which is why this movie is an excellent way to show the rest of the world what truly happened. Before watching this movie I did know my fair share of the history of Cuba, however, watching this gave me a whole new perspective to it. It was incredible to hear so many different peoples personal experiences and to see how their lives have changed since then.
Adding to this, the courage that Dr. Garcia had to return to Cuba after so many years is very impressive and inspirational. It takes a lot of courage and determination to go back to a place where you were once rejected and try to trace your own footsteps. This is a great movie that I highly recommend to everyone.
December 9, 2012
This documentary is a good watch. It definitely opened my eyes to what the Cuban people went through during the 1980's and their courageous act to reject the revolution. This particular documentary is led by Dr. Garcia who left 30 years ago and now for the first time since then he returns to his homeland of Cuba. He meets up with old friends and family and talks to them about the experience of the revolution and how life is now. He does a really good job making this documentary.