Volver - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Volver Reviews

July 13, 2015
I do find elements of this delightful Spanish a little confusing. I'm not sure whether this is something lost in translation or I just missed something as the subtitles whizzed by but there do seem to be one or two rather jarring edits where, for me, some scenes needed a bit more explanation. The story sees Penelope Cuz and her sister coping with the death of their aunt. She has been looked after by a friendly neighbour and also by her supposedly deceased sister who has been hiding in her home. Cruz has her own issues when she returns home one evening to find her husband has been stabbed to death by her daughter. In a gruesome but typically Spanish manner, Cruz hides him in an old freezer in a neighbour's abandoned restaurant. In order to raise some badly needed cash, Cruz goes into partnership with a local prostitute and opens the restaurant in order to feed a local film company. It is certainly a convoluted and unbelievable plot but the strength of this movie is the relationships between the female characters. Pedro Almodóvar is particularly good at depicting the lives and emotional bonds between women which makes his movies refreshing to watch. The characters are completely engaging and all of the key actresses give superb, thoughtful performances. I've yet to find a Spanish comedy that actually delivers belly laughs but Volver, as a gentle, poignant observation of female relationships is witty and charming.
May 28, 2015
very bright drama about incest in several generation of women with some quirky humor and comedy in it . plot is interesting but its all over the place and it never came together . you see the plot twist coming from miles away. some of the actions from characters just don't feel real , the way sisters react to their mother being alive really annoyed me . besides that , the acting in the movie was very good . I understand that it's not important for the story but cmon seriously nobody started to look for Paco ? maybe its because movie tries to be more artistic . If almodovar is trying to tell us that mens are pigs rapists and womens need to stay bond together and be strong to live among mens i guess he succeed.........
overall pretty good movie with bright colors , quirky spanish humor ( that i don't like but some people may enjoy ) and strong performance from Cruz.
April 14, 2015
A lighthearted take on subject matter that would otherwise be heavy and emotional.
½ March 21, 2015
VOLVER is only my second foray into Pedro Almodovar, and it was a strangely compelling watch even if I predicted a couple of the narrative twists long before they were actually revealed. Without going into detail, the story is about how women deal with death, secrets and, in general, familial relationships. Despite not having seen only two by Almodovar, I am aware that most of his films are centered around strong female protagonists, and this is no exception. Penelope Cruz does an excellent job portraying a mother who works hard to provide for her family, and the rest of the cast do great work as well. Also worth mentioning is the excellent production design and vibrant color scheme which make the film really beautiful to look at. There's also a great song which shares its title with (and predates) the film. My only complaints have to do with how predictable the plot was, at least to me. That being said, VOLVER is a well-acted, directed and produced film by a master director.
February 21, 2015
another winner from the gr8 director almodovar.
½ December 19, 2014
Very much Almodovar. Once again, I'll up him half a star out of appreciation for his brand. I find his sentiments too fluffy and exaggerated for my taste.
½ December 8, 2014
?????????????????????...??????...
November 1, 2014
Need to finish this...
September 21, 2014
Volver is evidence that an engaging performance from Penelope Cruz and smart directing by Pedro Almodovar can polymerize a seemingly comic slice of life into a film that is more profound but not less enjoyable.
½ September 2, 2014
Pedro Almodóvar takes a outstanding vision in this family drama. 'Volver' is complex, toutching and simply brillant. Penelope Cruz in her provocative performance in the skin of the sensitive Raimunda, desperate mother in a daze trying to guide her beloved family attempt. The sweeping masterpiece Almodóvar tries to make a portrait of a family conflict facing a complicated situation in Almodóvar's spanish, sweet, suffocating, tacky and colorful style of filmmaking. One more time, Almodóvar conquer the public and the critic with 'Volver', a Visionary film about family, love and especially, one thing in particular that Almodóvar is a master: women, how they survive, fight and advance the obstacles. Fantastic!
August 31, 2014
A brilliant dramatic black comedy, just excellent from start to finish
July 1, 2014
The biggest problem I had with this movie was that the sisters, upon seeing their mother again after like 15 years, aren't immediately like "how could you abandon us for all those years?" and "how did you fake your death" and instead assume she's a ghost come back to look over them. I mean, REALLY??? Are Spanish people really generally this superstitious? I mean, really. Despite this issue, the movie is interesting, otherwise.
½ June 22, 2014
June 16, 2014
This DVD was bought for me as a Christmas gift, only watched it for the first time a few days ago -
my first Almodovar film. I absolutely loved it!!! Its became a firm favourite of mine already. Will definitely watch again. Highly recommended!!!
June 7, 2014
Almodovar dans toute sa splendeur...
J'ai RAREMENT vu un homme qui aime & comprend aussi bien les femmes !!!
May 14, 2014
It wasn't what I was expecting, but it had its fun moments as well as a very strange and unique story, that was benefited by some great performances and script.
April 6, 2014
Movies like Volver aren't usually my favorite, but Volver is a technically brilliant movie, filled with colors and beautiful imagery. Penelope Cruz gives a very emotionally complex performance and although some moments are melodramatic, Volver is able to overcome those with an all-around very well-made movie
April 6, 2014
A lively and thoroughly fascinating family drama, featuring the performance of Cruz's career.
March 9, 2014
Me manteve entretido e curioso do início ao fim. Ótimas atuações, os diálogos inspirados de sempre
e Almodóvar+Cruz em sua melhor forma. Aplausos
February 23, 2014
Not a perfect film but quite memorable and iconic. Very well written with a good, humble ending.