Volver - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Volver Reviews

February 21, 2015
another winner from the gr8 director almodovar.
January 27, 2015
Funny, whimsical and touching film, but not without flaws. I felt a bit of culture shock watching this flick. Such great acting from the entire cast, especially, by the spectacular Penelope Cruz.
½ December 19, 2014
Very much Almodovar. Once again, I'll up him half a star out of appreciation for his brand. I find his sentiments too fluffy and exaggerated for my taste.
½ December 8, 2014
?????????????????????...??????...
November 1, 2014
Need to finish this...
September 21, 2014
Volver is evidence that an engaging performance from Penelope Cruz and smart directing by Pedro Almodovar can polymerize a seemingly comic slice of life into a film that is more profound but not less enjoyable.
½ September 2, 2014
Pedro Almodóvar takes a outstanding vision in this family drama. 'Volver' is complex, toutching and simply brillant. Penelope Cruz in her provocative performance in the skin of the sensitive Raimunda, desperate mother in a daze trying to guide her beloved family attempt. The sweeping masterpiece Almodóvar tries to make a portrait of a family conflict facing a complicated situation in Almodóvar's spanish, sweet, suffocating, tacky and colorful style of filmmaking. One more time, Almodóvar conquer the public and the critic with 'Volver', a Visionary film about family, love and especially, one thing in particular that Almodóvar is a master: women, how they survive, fight and advance the obstacles. Fantastic!
August 31, 2014
A brilliant dramatic black comedy, just excellent from start to finish
July 1, 2014
The biggest problem I had with this movie was that the sisters, upon seeing their mother again after like 15 years, aren't immediately like "how could you abandon us for all those years?" and "how did you fake your death" and instead assume she's a ghost come back to look over them. I mean, REALLY??? Are Spanish people really generally this superstitious? I mean, really. Despite this issue, the movie is interesting, otherwise.
½ June 22, 2014
June 16, 2014
This DVD was bought for me as a Christmas gift, only watched it for the first time a few days ago -
my first Almodovar film. I absolutely loved it!!! Its became a firm favourite of mine already. Will definitely watch again. Highly recommended!!!
June 7, 2014
Almodovar dans toute sa splendeur...
J'ai RAREMENT vu un homme qui aime & comprend aussi bien les femmes !!!
May 14, 2014
It wasn't what I was expecting, but it had its fun moments as well as a very strange and unique story, that was benefited by some great performances and script.
April 6, 2014
Movies like Volver aren't usually my favorite, but Volver is a technically brilliant movie, filled with colors and beautiful imagery. Penelope Cruz gives a very emotionally complex performance and although some moments are melodramatic, Volver is able to overcome those with an all-around very well-made movie
April 6, 2014
A lively and thoroughly fascinating family drama, featuring the performance of Cruz's career.
March 9, 2014
Me manteve entretido e curioso do início ao fim. Ótimas atuações, os diálogos inspirados de sempre
e Almodóvar+Cruz em sua melhor forma. Aplausos
February 23, 2014
Not a perfect film but quite memorable and iconic. Very well written with a good, humble ending.
February 18, 2014
Volver had a feel to it that made it seem much older than it actually was. 2006 I believe it was filmed but the celluloid was grainy and after looking it over I found it was shot on Kodak Vision2 250D 5205 and Vision2 500T 5218 Film. The look was nice with a bit of attention given to the colors with red being fairly prominent; actually primary colors were very prominent throughout the picture.
I give the most credit however to the great attention to characters and the story. I for one am a big fan of Penelope Cruz. I definitely have a thing for woman from southern Europe. Goodness gracious me. Anyways, she plays Raimunda, a mother figure who has pushed away her demons and strives to become a decent mother for her daughter. Her performance is quite good. You can see the depth of what she is going through or has gone through in the way she carries herself at the beginning to the different moments in the story when she is more distracted. I thought there was a lot going on with her character. The cast is almost entirely woman and I really liked that. The varieties of characters their lives interwoven were fun to unravel.
There is a darkness to the story that is woven in and out of sequences and a kind of mysticism that is present with discussion of the afterlife. There is a particular moment when one of the woman is telling a story and we are engaged as if it is an old camp fire story and it really is effective. It is a key moment so I wont go into it. There are several of these moment that are so well done and are hypnotic in effect that you may lose yourself in the film. It ends on the most bizarre not but it really is perfect if you think about it. Great Film.
January 11, 2014
Almodóvar's mysteriously charming drama full of humour and irony tells the tale of three generations of a family intertwining and a mother coming back from the after life to fix the situations she couldn't take care of while she was alive. This is the work of a filmmaker at its peak, confidently directed with a beautiful colourful visual style that has become the characteristic style of Almodóvar. The dialogue too is very quirky but there is a soft inner core with plenty of humanity and tenderness that gives the film a charming backdrop. The performances are great and Cruz, one of Pedro's muses, takes centre stage and delivers a powerhouse performance in the leading role.
December 30, 2013
Volver is another excellent film from master director Almodovar. Teaming up again with beautiful actress Penelope Cruz, he embarks us on a story of love, revenge and betrayal as only he knows how to do them and treat them. Wonderful film.